The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Would the Canucks be a legit playoff darkhorse if Nikita Tryamkin returned this season?

Rate this topic

Hindustan Smyl

32 minutes ago, Toyotasfan said:

#15 in the Power 16 rankings, still not enough respect.

It’s a fair ranking in my opinion.     The Canucks have looked impressive thus far, but a solid 12 game stretch is not going to outweigh 4 years of poo as far as changing the opinions of hockey pundits go.    If the Canucks continue to win, our level of respect amongst hockey pundits will increase.

i was at duck game when boeser came up the yr tryamkin played   boeser miller and tryamkin stood out. Ducks forwards wwre scared to go in corners cuz he crushed them im all for tryamkin coming in at end of khl season  even if its as a bottom pair  stecher is to lil 

edler myers

hughes tanev

benn tryamkin

stecher

and shut down d pair  edler tryamkin  in certain times  woukd help us get a cup

• Upvote 2

Lol get real, I get the team is on a hot run but don't act for a second that he wouldn't fit in here.  The Canucks want Tryamkin back, it could open up a spot for a trade plus the inevitable injuries that will always hit.  If you want to play that game with our prospects start with Juolevi.  

This site can be so bipolar at times, can't wait for the confused emojis.  

• Upvote 2

I think the window has closed on Tryamkin. I don't believe he is quick enough and I don't think he's done anything at all remarkable in his three years back in the KHL. I also believe the KHL Isn't even close to NHL calibre so it mystifies me why some believe that he is somehow a better player now than he was when he left. Vancouver is a much better team now and they play a much faster, more uptempo game than they did. At the moment, Vancouver's starting six defencemen are playing well, moving the puck quickly and skating well. I honestly don't see Tryamkin fitting in and would not be happy to see him gifted a spot in the lineup after not having earned it. And I hate to tell him, but the smell of weed in and around Vancouver is not going away any time soon. I heard it is legal now.

17 minutes ago, Gaudette Celly said:

Toronto has ONE injury and they're playing like a borderline lotto team.  Canucks survived multiple significant injuries and stayed in the playoff race for most of last year.

A fair enough point, but the fact of the matter is that the Canucks have faced “multiple significant injuries,” for 4+ years......and always seemed to unravel after the all-star break when these key injuries hit.   Tanev, Edler, Sutter, and Baertschi usually being the key culprits.

The only thing I will say in defense of that is as follows:   A strong correlation exists between team injuries and overall team possession numbers. .  The lower the team possession numbers, the more likely it is that injuries hit.  

In the four years prior to this one, the Canucks had one of the worst team possession numbers in the entire league.......even during those large stretches where they were playing .500-.600 hockey (before those annual injuries hit).   This year however, after the first 12 games, they rank 8th overall in Team possession numbers.   If this keeps up, the data suggests that the Canucks shouldn’t be faced with nearly as many crippling injury problems.    

Still - I’d be more comfortable if the Canucks had a little bit more insurance on the back-end.    In 2011 for instance.....

Edler-Tanev

Erhoff-Salo

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Ballard

(my memory of the 2011 defensive pairings is getting fuzzy and so my apologies here if the pairings aren’t correct), but those Canucks basically had 6 guys that could play on the Top 4 if need be.   Even a guy like Ballard wouldn’t have looked out of place in a guarded Top 4 role.

By contrast, our current defense has four top 4 Guys, and maybe five if you include Stecher.     An addition of Tryamkin would help us a bit more.

I love our current Canucks team but if they’re serious about making some noise this year.......real noise......then they’re going to need another high quality dman.

Edited by Hindustan Smyl
  • Upvote 1

I think many have forgotten how Tryamkin played as a very raw product (not surprised because many of us forgot how Schaller played at the end of last season). He easily fits in a bottom pairing role no problem today.

The question really is if he has developed to become even more. Benn and Stecher are also solid bottom pairing guys, but that doesn't mean there's no room for Tryamkin. If he came back today, then maybe he would have to wait a bit for injuries or some losses to get in, but that doesn't mean we couldn't use him for a playoff push when things get more physical and checking is tighter.

Tryamkin seems to have focused more on being a defensive dman with good skating, so if he has the smarts of a Tanev, then he could fit right in there (which would allow us to move on from Tanev the following season). Tanev's been excellent thus far, but we cannot forget how brittle he is and the fact that we likely won't be able to afford him to extend him. I'm not saying we trade him if/when Tryamkin returns, but we do need to prepare for the future as well.

To be clear, if we are in the playoffs, I would keep Tanev so we have solid defensive depth and even if we lose him to UFA, I will view it as him being our "playoff rental" that teams generally pay decently for.

• Upvote 2

If his only condition to coming back was a guaranteed roster spot (like last time) I would say no.  If he wants to come back and accept that he'll have to earn a spot over the guys that have got us to where we are so far, then by all means I'm for it. 

In no world should he have a guaranteed spot in the top 4 (or even 6) of our D.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

I think the window has closed on Tryamkin. I don't believe he is quick enough and I don't think he's done anything at all remarkable in his three years back in the KHL. I also believe the KHL Isn't even close to NHL calibre so it mystifies me why some believe that he is somehow a better player now than he was when he left. Vancouver is a much better team now and they play a much faster, more uptempo game than they did. At the moment, Vancouver's starting six defencemen are playing well, moving the puck quickly and skating well. I honestly don't see Tryamkin fitting in and would not be happy to see him gifted a spot in the lineup after not having earned it. And I hate to tell him, but the smell of weed in and around Vancouver is not going away any time soon. I heard it is legal now.

Tryamkin's skating is one of his strong points and especially for a guy his size. He's no Gudbranson. What do you define as remarkable? Points? He's been generally used for defensive situations for his team and have focused on being more defensive minded (not a bad idea for a dman) with the odd rush up the ice.

At the moment, our defense is fine, but the earliest Tryamkin could arrive is late February, so who knows what will happen by then? If/when he arrives, he will get acclimated with the team before being put in. If he pouts about not being put into the lineup right away, then we go from there, but until then that's only speculation.

Now that he's more aware of the city, perhaps he will be more prepared and maybe will find a home location that isn't so "weedy".

16 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

I don't think the window is closed, he's still a very intriguing player with an incredibly rare combination of skill and hulking size.  I just don't think he's guaranteed a roster spot like some on here believe.  By the time this hypothetical rolls around we might be dealing with injuries to the back end anyways, and earning a spot might be a lot easier for him.  

Edit: before someone jumps all over this, when I say skill I mean skilled enough to play in the NHL, not elite skill.

Edited by Dekey Pete

3 minutes ago, Dekey Pete said:

If his only condition to coming back was a guaranteed roster spot (like last time) I would say no.  If he wants to come back and accept that he'll have to earn a spot over the guys that have got us to where we are so far, then by all means I'm for it. 

In no world should he have a guaranteed spot in the top 4 (or even 6) of our D.  

At that point, you just sign him and hope he keeps quiet and trade him in the offseason. He will have more value being here than trading his rights while he's still in the KHL. Doesn't seem to be a big concern for me.

IMO, despite Stecher having the heart of a lion, Tryamkin would be much more valuable in the playoffs in his spot currently. We are also assuming Tanev stays healthy to that point. IMO, Tryamkin is at least above Fantenberg, so any injury to our defense slots in Tryamkin.

1 hour ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

You might be right about Fantenberg and Stecher, but I’m not sure if I agree with you regarding Tryamkin.

When Tryamkin was here, he looked very physically dominant and positionally sound.   He also looked surprisingly agile for a guy his size.  

Tryamkin wasn’t Zdeno Chara by any means, but he looked pretty solid.  

He looked good at times, however he was also very inconsistent. If he could gain some consistency to his game, then he'd be a good asset with his size.

So far however, he has not been able to prove that and until he can, he hasn't proven to be an NHL player or above any of our D that would be called up first from Utica.

.Yeeeaaahhh. I'm not happy with the developmental curve of Tryamkin to be honest. The way that he's trending it's more like he's a 5-6 guy (maybe) at best in the NHL. His point production has tanked hard since his first year back in the KHL, his play has been inconsistent also. Sure he's a physical d-man but at what expense do the Canucks cough up for him? He's not going to sign a $1.5M contract to be a 6th d-man. 

19 minutes ago, Psycho_Path said:

I'm surprised people are so down on Tryamkin. He'd easily be better than Benn on our bottom pairing and I feel like he'd be able to slot anywhere in the bottom 6. Guy was a beast last time he played for us.

What makes you think he would be better than Benn? Benn has been very solid for us back there and is part of the reason why our PK has had so much early success. He's a proven NHL vet. Tryamkin has yet to prove anything other than the fact that he wasn't good enough to be a full time NHLer when he was here. He also hasn't shown much more in Russia to change that. He COULD become a good D for us, but he's in no way better than any of our top 6 now.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Ur a Towel said:

What makes you think he would be better than Benn? Benn has been very solid for us back there and is part of the reason why our PK has had so much early success. He's a proven NHL vet. Tryamkin has yet to prove anything other than the fact that he wasn't good enough to be a full time NHLer when he was here. He also hasn't shown much more in Russia to change that. He COULD become a good D for us, but he's in no way better than any of our top 6 now.

I'm surprised at how underrated he has become on here.  Tryamkin is a rare egg. A tall rare egg.  He has unique skills. Even different than Myers. Tryamkin has this indescribable intimidating factor, even if he's not a fighter at heart, (much like Chara). Plus he's not a pylon out there and can skate and is also good at moving the puck out of the D zone.  His wingspan I recall was great for puck retrieval, stick checking, as well as promising for developing a huge slapshot from the point. He's a special talent + size that can't be bottled.  I can't say for sure he'd bump one of our top 6 at present, but I'd give him a shot in Benn's spot if I had my druthers. 

I especially love how he just wedges players along the boards almost in slow motion. There's absolutely nowhere to go for the player . The look in their eyes as they are slowly, involuntarily, squished into the boards and down to the ice.

Conditioned on his attitude, if he'll accept waiting as a seventh if there are no significant D injuries, why wouldn't JB want a stallion like him in the stable?  But I'll make a crazy prediction, as the OP also did.......There will be injuries on defense this season.  There I said it. Believe it or not.  A team can never have enough D depth. Especially if we make the playoffs.  It would be nuts for JB not to keep working to get him here again.

Stop thinking about how well he is ready for the NHL now.  He is still young. Think about his potential in this league if and once he accepts whatever plan the Canucks have for him, even if its sitting as a seventh when he comes up. Think what he could be for us after he puts another full season behind him in the NHL, and is more comfortable here in North America, (and his wife too)

Edited by kilgore
  • Cheers 1