The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Would the Canucks be a legit playoff darkhorse if Nikita Tryamkin returned this season?

Rate this topic

Hindustan Smyl

4 minutes ago, kilgore said:

I'm surprised at how underrated he has become on here.  Tryamkin is a rare egg. A tall rare egg.  He has unique skills. Even different than Myers. Tryamkin has this indescribable intimidating factor, even if he's not a fighter at heart, (much like Chara). Plus he's not a pylon out there and can skate and is also good at moving the puck out of the D zone.  His wingspan I recall was great for puck retrieval, stick checking, as well as promising for developing a huge slapshot from the point. He's a special talent + size that can't be bottled.  I can't say for sure he'd bump one of our top 6 at present, but I'd give him a shot in Benn's spot if I had my druthers. 

I especially love how he just wedges players along the boards almost in slow motion. There's absolutely nowhere to go for the player . The look in their eyes as they are slowly, involuntarily, squished into the boards and down to the ice.

Conditioned on his attitude, if he'll accept waiting as a seventh if there are no significant D injuries, why wouldn't JB want a stallion like him in the stable?  But I'll make a crazy prediction, as the OP also did.......There will be injuries on defense this season.  There I said it. Believe it or not.  A team can never have enough D depth. Especially if we make the playoffs.  It would be nuts for JB not to keep working to get him here again.

Stop thinking about how well he is ready for the NHL now.  He is still young. Think about his potential in this league if and once he accepts whatever plan the Canucks have for him, even if its sitting as a seventh when he comes up. Think what he could be for us after he puts a full season behind him in the NHL, and is more comfortable here in North America he, (and his wife too)

Oh believe me I'm not underrating him at all, I do think he has the potential to be a decent D for us. Not great, but a decent #4 or 5.
His size is the reason why he's so overrated here though. If he can play and use his size to his advantage then great, but he can't be getting caught out of position to do so. 
He had a lot of consistency issues when he was playing for us which is why he couldn't stay in the lineup. 

On your other point about thinking if he is NHL ready now, this was the point of this thread no? Could Tryamkin come into our D THIS year and help us make the playoffs or do something when we are in the playoffs? I don't think THIS year that he would be of help and I think we have 2 or 3 guys that are ahead of him at this point in time.

That's not to say that I don't think he can be a useful D for us in 2 or 3 years time. That being said, he's now 25 and still hasn't been able to make it onto an NHL roster. He's not going to get much better than what he already is now.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Gaudette Celly said:

Darkhorse?  Nope, we're grabbing one of the three divisional seedings. 

We'll also have Lockwood and likely Rathbone coming in late-season as well, not to mention what might happen at the TDL -- Jet Black Genius could pull in another asset or two to make a legit run.

COUNT BLACKULA

21 minutes ago, Ur a Towel said:

Oh believe me I'm not underrating him at all, I do think he has the potential to be a decent D for us. Not great, but a decent #4 or 5.
His size is the reason why he's so overrated here though. If he can play and use his size to his advantage then great, but he can't be getting caught out of position to do so. 
He had a lot of consistency issues when he was playing for us which is why he couldn't stay in the lineup. 

On your other point about thinking if he is NHL ready now, this was the point of this thread no? Could Tryamkin come into our D THIS year and help us make the playoffs or do something when we are in the playoffs? I don't think THIS year that he would be of help and I think we have 2 or 3 guys that are ahead of him at this point in time.

That's not to say that I don't think he can be a useful D for us in 2 or 3 years time. That being said, he's now 25 and still hasn't been able to make it onto an NHL roster. He's not going to get much better than what he already is now.

Fair point about the OP talking about him helping us this season.  But I'd say he could help us this season as well, especially in the playoffs.  Do you remember one of the reasons we lost in the SCF was our increasingly depleted D core. Rome's suspension was the final nail. But injuries happen during the season too. His size is a legitimate factor in assessing his value. It is for most D.  ie..Guddy was more expensive than Stecher, even though Stecher was/is arguably quicker and more effective . Size, especially on defence IS a talent to factor in, and especially if they can skate too. 

He'd not take 2 or 3 years more of development. I'd expect him to make the team next October.  And as to he "hasn't been able to make it onto an NHL roster"?  He has.  And JB would have been happy to have kept him here. I would think you'd know that.

I didn't' like his prima donna attitude about going to Utica etc. But I'm willing to ride that off to him being Russian, in a new culture, and young.  I'd give him a mulligan on that first impression.

8 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

What is this boards obsession with that guy?

1 minute ago, kilgore said:

Fair point about the OP talking about him helping us this season.  But I'd say he could help us this season as well, especially in the playoffs.  Do you remember one of the reasons we lost in the SCF was our increasingly depleted D core. Rome's suspension was the final nail. But injuries happen during the season too. His size is a legitimate factor in assessing his value. It is for most D.  ie..Guddy was more expensive than Stecher, even though Stecher was/is arguably quicker and more effective . Size, especially on defence IS a talent to factor in, and especially if they can skate too. 

He'd not take 2 or 3 years more of development. I'd expect him to make the team next October.  And as to he "hasn't been able to make it onto an NHL roster"?  He has.  And JB would have been happy to have kept him here. I would think you'd know that.

I didn't' like his prima donna attitude about going to Utica etc. But I'm willing to ride that off to him being Russian, in a new culture, and young.  I'd give him a mulligan on that first impression.

Can you say with any certainty that he's better than any of our tp 6 defenders?

5 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Tryamkin wouldn't crack this roster as it is right now. His return would make no difference to our team right now IMO. The only "maybe" is if injuries hit us, but even then, he'd only be playing bottom pairing minutes and wouldn't have a significant impact IMO.

Amen.

1 minute ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Can you say with any certainty that he's better than any of our tp 6 defenders?

Nope.  Can't say that at this point. But maybe, have to see him play here again first.

But injuries and playoff depth. That would be his main value this season.

• Upvote 2

Wow, lots of shade thrown at Tryamkin on here. We’re lucky to have this guy in our organization. 
I feel no ill will towards his reason to play a few years close to home. If he played here the past few years, his cap hit would be much higher. Now is a great time to bring him back.

For those arguing there is no room, give your head a shake. Look at Edler’s and Tanev’s average games played the past few years. You know one or both will be off soon with injury. Come playoffs, we’ll need all the depth we can get.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Nope.  Can't say that at this point. But maybe, have to see him play here again first.

But injuries and playoff depth. That would be his main value this season.

Why you always confused on here bro

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1

2 hours ago, Ur a Towel said:

What makes you think he would be better than Benn? Benn has been very solid for us back there and is part of the reason why our PK has had so much early success. He's a proven NHL vet. Tryamkin has yet to prove anything other than the fact that he wasn't good enough to be a full time NHLer when he was here. He also hasn't shown much more in Russia to change that. He COULD become a good D for us, but he's in no way better than any of our top 6 now.

He more than proved he was good enough to be a full time NHLer when he was here. He's a legit top 4. I actually would probably prefer a lineup of the following if Tryamkin were to come back:

Edler Myers

Hughes Tryamkin

Tanev Stecher

(didn't consider handedness here)

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bitter Melon said:

People were enamoured with Tyramkin because he was big. We have Myers now, so he fills that shallow "We GoTTa HaVE a bIG D-mAN!" thinking

It's shallow to think that having only 1 big D is enough, when we could have 2 big Ds. And people were enamoured because Tryamkin had the speed and skill to match that big frame. Literally the biggest power forwards in the league bounced off him like they were little kids trying to take down a full grown adult.

People forget that he was deployed under WD's system, one that did not allow him to shine like he would under Green. Despite that, he still smashed several NHL stars as a rookie.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Ur a Towel said:

Consistency issues? Looks pretty consistent to me:

https://www.nhl.com/player/nikita-tryamkin-8477997?stats=gamelogs-r-nhl&season=20162017

I don't remember why he was out of the lineup at the end of February-early March, but other than that his ice time was pretty consistent over the whole year (anywhere from 12 minutes to 22 minutes a night. He was a rookie and Willie D was our coach). Guy is now 3 years older (at the end of the season). I can't imagine him coming back worse than before, let alone not decently improved from how he last was when he was here.

• Upvote 2

I say yes. Tryamkin would be our only dman that could instill fear into other teams big power forwards. Benn, Eddy, Myers are tough players but no match for the Tom Wilson's of the world. Tryamkin could legitimately keep Wilson in check. It would make my day to see him back and we would be instantly better.

Edited by rekker
  • Cheers 4

55 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The Canucks are playoff bound already. While I think adding Tryamkin would strike fear into the opposing teams, he's also #7 behind the other 6 defensemen on the team.

Phillip, I like your posts, and this is not an attack on you...

But how do you know? How do you know that he doesn't come in and play just as well as Edler, Tanev, Benn  and Stetcher?. I do not know he would, but how do you know he wouldn't? It is one of the problems I am having with peoples opinions here. We just simply do not know....IMO, 

He has tons of positive attributes....size, speed, maturity, shot. People really do not understand what happens to players in different circumstances. Players get put into roles, and in some cases, not the roles that suit them.

It is funny, but has it occurred to anyone, that Tryamkin, may not be happy over there? He was young, in love, and could have had a very romantic idea, of what it would be like to play for his own home town. Once getting back there and found out it was not going to be quite as rosy as he thought, he may have realized that he gave up something he very much wanted, but true to his word, he kept his word. I am not saying this happened, but the point is we do not know.

The Tryamkin, saga, is one of a lot of unanswered questions, on and off the ice. The absolute only way we find any of it out, is by him coming here, and playing.

I could easily see Tryamkin signing another 2 or 3 year contract, which I believe will take him to UFA? (not sure of that), and I believe he will have a gentleman's agreement with Benning, that if he isn't going to be a top 4 (next year), that Benning trades him.....

I see that as a win win, and allows Benning to see what he has...…...I do not believe Benning would pass on a potential asset, either way.

The ability of Tryamkin being able to play both sides is invaluable to any team

I hope he comes...……..I hope everyone will wait and gauge him then...………...

PS...…...he is not Chara, he is Tryamkin

Again, not really addressing your comment directly, but felt it would be best here????

• Upvote 2