The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Would the Canucks be a legit playoff darkhorse if Nikita Tryamkin returned this season?

Rate this topic

Hindustan Smyl

IF Tryamkin comes back this year before the playoffs he likely wont play unless injuries on D. Maybe playoffs.

Next year will be quite interesting with the group of defenceman currently signed for next year.

Edler Myers 

Hughes 

Benn

Juolevi 

Stecher is and RFA

Tanev is UFA 

Add Tryamkin to the mix.

Then all the other d men in the system.

Next year 

Hughes Myers

Edler Ristolainen

Juolevi Tryamkin 

I want Ristolainen for plugs, make it happen jb!

I'd include jr & college(eg: Sautner, MacEwen, Stech) FA's, alongside with draft picks(cos' it's a sign of sharp Mgt)..but I like it when a finished product has a high ratio of these three, vs players acquired UFA, or via trade.

You're likely to feel more loyalty towards the first org that drafts/signs you, right? We might not have the rhythm/staying power, but one always remembers their first! The momentum is building now, & we're sliding in homegrown talent, where for a spell, we needed 'placeholders' of any sort.

When NT was here, it was a transitory dog's breakfast, with an absolute idiot coach. We had a number of middlish guys just passing through, yet the team was trying to tread water, mostly to respect the twins. There were conflicting agendas.

Furthermore, the naysayers were piling on Jimbo. He hadn't yet established his underrated trade cred, nor proven his awesome drafting proficiency, despite NT being some of the early evidence.

Don't put too much stock in that nascent period of stealth. It was mostly misunderstood & misinterpreted. NT will return, & be a key piece. Predicting that here & now.

Edited by Nuxfanabroad
  • Upvote 2

Tryamkin is a 3rd pairing defender. Not sure he is better than either Benn or Stecher but does bring more physicality.

No...another 3rd pairing D doesn't make any team a contender.....jeez.

Edit: contender..playoff darkhorse..whatever you call it....

Edited by Kanukfanatic

58 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Phillip, I like your posts, and this is not an attack on you...

But how do you know? How do you know that he doesn't come in and play just as well as Edler, Tanev, Benn  and Stetcher?. I do not know he would, but how do you know he wouldn't? It is one of the problems I am having with peoples opinions here. We just simply do not know....IMO, 

He has tons of positive attributes....size, speed, maturity, shot. People really do not understand what happens to players in different circumstances. Players get put into roles, and in some cases, not the roles that suit them.

It is funny, but has it occurred to anyone, that Tryamkin, may not be happy over there? He was young, in love, and could have had a very romantic idea, of what it would be like to play for his own home town. Once getting back there and found out it was not going to be quite as rosy as he thought, he may have realized that he gave up something he very much wanted, but true to his word, he kept his word. I am not saying this happened, but the point is we do not know.

The Tryamkin, saga, is one of a lot of unanswered questions, on and off the ice. The absolute only way we find any of it out, is by him coming here, and playing.

I could easily see Tryamkin signing another 2 or 3 year contract, which I believe will take him to UFA? (not sure of that), and I believe he will have a gentleman's agreement with Benning, that if he isn't going to be a top 4 (next year), that Benning trades him.....

I see that as a win win, and allows Benning to see what he has...…...I do not believe Benning would pass on a potential asset, either way.

The ability of Tryamkin being able to play both sides is invaluable to any team

I hope he comes...……..I hope everyone will wait and gauge him then...………...

PS...…...he is not Chara, he is Tryamkin

Again, not really addressing your comment directly, but felt it would be best here????

No offends taken, Jan. I think he’d be behind as he hasn’t played In the league in over two years, and the Canucks defense corps is establishing seriously solid chemistry. 

Unless a defenseman was traded, it would be wrong to move any of the six of them out of rotation purely because Nikita returns. 

• Cheers 1

I have emotional attachment to Troy Stecher and I love what Jordie Benn's brought to this team, but I do see Nikita Tryamkin as an upgrade on those two.  Having said that, the slight improvement wouldn't be worth disrupting chemistry, so I'd only bring him back if we have injuries to any of our top 6 d-men.  

19 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

No offends taken, Jan. I think he’d be behind as he hasn’t played In the league in over two years, and the Canucks defense corps is establishing seriously solid chemistry. 

Unless a defenseman was traded, it would be wrong to move any of the six of them out of rotation purely because Nikita returns. 

Yeah, I agree

Just My opinion, but he needs to come  in and be a #7 for the end of the year, if it doesn't ruin his waiver exemption, and then compete for a position next year......

Then resign Tanev and have Tanev/Stetcher/Tryamkin compete for the #4 and #6 next year

• Upvote 1

To be fair, the Tryamkin we remember from 2016-17 was 22 years old, now he is 25 (August birthday, my math is fine) and presumably he has developed in the more than 2 seasons since he left.  We really don't know if he would make the team as it sits now.  The team is way deeper at all positions than it was back then.  The only way we find out is to have him come over on a trial basis.   

The Canucks are looking like a legit playoff contender with the roster as it is.  Mind, the schedule has been light in terms of the quality of competition.  Time will tell.

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

To be fair, the Tryamkin we remember from 2016-17 was 22 years old, now he is 25 (August birthday, my math is fine) and presumably he has developed in the more than 2 seasons since he left.  We really don't know if he would make the team as it sits now.  The team is way deeper at all positions than it was back then.  The only way we find out is to have him come over on a trial basis.   

The Canucks are looking like a legit playoff contender with the roster as it is.  Mind, the schedule has been light in terms of the quality of competition.  Time will tell.

Some people on here like to pretend that a 22 year old Nikita was at his peak back then and has declined.  You know, lifting weights and doing pushups in the KHL doesn't translate into the NHL.  

1 minute ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Some people on here like to pretend that a 22 year old Nikita was at his peak back then and has declined.  You know, lifting weights and doing pushups in the KHL doesn't translate into the NHL.  

Love big Nik.  He would fit in perfectly on our third pair.  Then, with more NHL experience, he’d move into out top four.  Guy could be a serious minute muncher.

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I have emotional attachment to Troy Stecher and I love what Jordie Benn's brought to this team, but I do see Nikita Tryamkin as an upgrade on those two.  Having said that, the slight improvement wouldn't be worth disrupting chemistry, so I'd only bring him back if we have injuries to any of our top 6 d-men.  

I don't think he'd be for sure an upgrade; the KHL is not close to the NHL in quality of competition, and he supposedly struggled off the ice here too.  I also don't think it's worth rewarding a guy who quit on the team over a guy who's stuck it out and another guy who took a discount to come here.  While no one would blame a guy for leaving due to the absolute idiot we had coaching the team while Tryamkin was here, Benning would have made it abundantly clear that WD wasn't going to back prior to Tryamkin leaving.

9 hours ago, Duodenum said:

Doubt he's good enough to beat out anybody in the top 6 on the back-end currently. 

Forgetting that we should be adding depth for the playoffs.  Plus Stecher is rumored to be on the block.  

Trymakin is also huge and plays either side.  

He would be a hard guy to play against thru a 7 game series.  

In other words we could always use a player like Trymakin.  Especially with no surrending of assets.  

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

Forgetting that we should be adding depth for the playoffs.  Plus Stecher is rumored to be on the block.  

Trymakin is also huge and plays either side.  

He would be a hard guy to play against thru a 7 game series.  

In other words we could always use a player like Trymakin.  Especially with no surrending of assets.  

Tryamkin isn't going to leave Russia to be a depth guy here. 

• Upvote 2

Y’all seeing the play of Rafferty and Joulevi in the AHL right now. They could play next year.

Tryamkins cool. I’d like him back in the mix sure but who knows If that’s actually gonna happen. I don’t see how he improves the team today. When he left we were desperate for some youth, some strength, some stability on the back end.
The Top 6 in pretty darn decent now and you know he’s not coming back to be the 7th Dman to fill in for injuries.

I know lots of people salivate over his size but does he improve our team now? I’m not so sure he does 

11 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Tryamkin wouldn't crack this roster as it is right now. His return would make no difference to our team right now IMO. The only "maybe" is if injuries hit us, but even then, he'd only be playing bottom pairing minutes and wouldn't have a significant impact IMO.

No idea where this talk comes from its based off of complete hearsay it has to be because you have not seen him play lately. UNTIL he comes over and plays some NHL games you cannot draw the conclusion you just made. I dont think that we are so good defensively he would not have an impact on this team. 

I qualify this by adding our D core is by no means has the grit and tenacity to win rounds in playoffs. Now are they skilled? Yes. Are we also kind of fragile, Yes. Tryamkin has the skill set AND the size hes like Myers but meaner. IMHO. 

Time will tell tho ONLY when he comes and puts skates on the ice do we draw any conclusions. I mean you would not even have a space for him on this team? Are you high... right now?

Edited by Shirotashi
  • Haha 2