The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

October retrospect. ** Long Read**

Rate this topic

Phat Fingers

Nice optimistic write up.

Why aren't fans bullish about these Canucks? I think they are getting a lot of love atm.

However I do also think most people accept that this is a fairly new team with lots of young players on it. The thing with young players are they mostly have big ups and downs over a season, and it remains to be seen if they can maintain this level of play throughout the season. 

But it is fun and it is exciting to watch, and long may it last...

But should the dreaded down turn materialise, the fact the top players are just starting their journey should fill us all with hope and joy for the foreseeable future...

It the best hockey we've seen in ages....

Edited by spook007
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

One of the best October’s this team has ever had.  Aside from that the two close losses to start the season, we’ve got points in ever game pretty much - 8 of those wins.   Not sure even that management saw this coming,  November will be another challenge, players will go down / this time I don’t see the results changing as much.  Doubt this team will go on a lengthy losing streak this year.   Personally I think the head start will be enough for us to make the playoffs this season.

• Cheers 1

Definitely promising. What I really like this year is that even if they're down a goal or two, they have the ability to turn it on and come back, win the game. I've noticed the passing this year has been excellent. Crisp tape-to-tape passes, fewer giveaways. The Canucks are getting a ton of shots on net, controlling the play, puck posesssion.  The results will peak for themselves when it's all said and done. I think they are a playoff team this year. Too much grit, skill and determination to be denied.

• Upvote 1

On 11/1/2019 at 3:42 PM, nergish said:

I'm giddy about how things have gone so far, but we gotta pump the brakes.

It's 12 games.

I feel justified in my prediction.  The signs are there, but take away my prediction everything else was solely based on this 12 games.  

To me this is a new team.  What JB managed to create has finally emerged.   You don't compare a butterfly to what it looks like as a catapliler.  

Just look at the players who played NHL minutes for us last season that are no longer in the organization.  Can you pick one player on that list that you would surrender assets to re-aquire?

Nilsson
MDZ
Guddy
Hutton
Granlund
Lepsic
Pouliot
Gaunce
Gagner
Archibald
Schenn

The signs started to come thru in pieces last year.  Ep40's year, he slowed down at the end, but he did bounce back quickly after two dangerous plays.  That shows a ability he will need and I hope it stays that way   He trained like a man possessed and has really added size and strength.   Just ask Martinez. 

Brock had a slow start, but did get going.  When he did fully recover from his injury he looked as good as prior to the injury.  He looks like he is shaking off missing training camp already.  

Horvat has improved every year in the league, I see no reason for that to change now that he is captain.  

Dido for Markstrom except the captain bit.  

Now we have added cast members who can all play, Miller, Myers, Benn and Ferland, we also have emerging prospects like Gaudette, Hughes, Demko along with all how well Utica is doing with Lind, OJ, Rafferty, Dipietro etc...  

I am convinced that the only thing that can take this team out of the playoff picture, is up the hockey gods.  Basically injuries.  

Hughes last night was hopefully not serious.  That would be untimely, but I still see this team getting to the post season without one of our core players.  

PS  Not being aggressive, just longwinded.  

Edited by Phat Fingers

On 11/1/2019 at 12:31 PM, NUCKER67 said:

Definitely promising. What I really like this year is that even if they're down a goal or two, they have the ability to turn it on and come back, win the game. I've noticed the passing this year has been excellent. Crisp tape-to-tape passes, fewer giveaways. The Canucks are getting a ton of shots on net, controlling the play, puck posesssion.  The results will peak for themselves when it's all said and done. I think they are a playoff team this year. Too much grit, skill and determination to be denied.

something we used to never see in the sedin kesler era.

Very Good start to November 

Coming out of Cali with 5 points is critical  for our chances at a playoff run. That was three division matchups and we need to play for those points against Cali teams all season. In the past it was typical For the Canucks to be over confident and play down a level and get pumped by the veteran teams like SJ or Anaheim. Good on Green and Captian Bo to keep the pace and shot count through the roof. The key will be to keep up the high energy tempo,  Gatling gun shots and forecheck pumping like a locomotive steam engine all season long. Circa West Coast Express. 

Nice read. 

I unlike some love the positive outlook and willingness to believe early in and all season instead of fence sitting fandom. 

Edited by Bertorama
  • Upvote 2

Fully healthy, it’s a great team and definitely a playoff monster.

Marky has been a huge part of this, as has been playing many bottom feeders or a sleepy Caps squad, who still came back. 

The January grind will reveal what is what. 

Sutter and Tanev will never have a higher trade value than right now, before they get hurt. Jim must be thinking hard on that. 

I’d look at Adam Lowry and ‘consider’ shopping Jake to a team like Carolina or Philly, possibly for a Dman like Edmundson. 

There wasn't much snarl without Firkland in the lineup against the Sharks. The team needs pushback coming from multiple sources. 

Edited by 189lb enforcers?
  • Upvote 2

On 11/3/2019 at 1:12 PM, 189lb enforcers? said:

Fully healthy, it’s a great team and definitely a playoff monster.

Marky has been a huge part of this, as has been playing many bottom feeders or a sleepy Caps squad, who still came back. 

The January grind will reveal what is what. 

Sutter and Tanev will never have a higher trade value than right now, before they get hurt. Jim must be thinking hard on that. 

I’d look at Adam Lowry and ‘consider’ shopping Jake to a team like Carolina or Philly, possibly for a Dman like Edmundson. 

There wasn't much snarl without Firkland in the lineup against the Sharks. The team needs pushback coming from multiple sources. 

Would like to add a Lowry style player.  I don't want to surrender Jake for anything other than a high quality young player on a good term coming back.  

Not likely to happen, but currently Jake is a tweener with upside on a cheap contract.  He has been a slow bloomer so it is fair to say he has more growth in him.  

The nucks where up 4-0, why muck it up?  The Sharks were trying to drag us down with them.  

When Rousell and Ferland return, let's see.  

Really these guys can defend themselves, they just need a guy to start things.  Rousell did that for Dallas..   

I could see Sutter being dealt, Tanev is here until we are out of the playoffs.  If Tanev staying means a playoff berth then the club would be happy to see him walk for nothing.  

Edited by Phat Fingers
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 11/3/2019 at 8:54 AM, Bertorama said:

Very Good start to November 

Coming out of Cali with 5 points is critical  for our chances at a playoff run. That was three division matchups and we need to play for those points against Cali teams all season. In the past it was typical For the Canucks to be over confident and play down a level and get pumped by the veteran teams like SJ or Anaheim. Good on Green and Captian Bo to keep the pace and shot count through the roof. The key will be to keep up the high energy tempo,  Gatling gun shots and forecheck pumping like a locomotive steam engine all season long. Circa West Coast Express. 

Nice read. 

I unlike some love the positive outlook and willingness to believe early in and all season instead of fence sitting fandom. 

Bolded I also believe is critical to making the playoffs.We have to take more points off of the Cali teams to make the playoffs. we have struggles against them the last five years.