The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks recall Sven Baertschi

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

11 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

they could be showcasing him a bit too. We'll see where he's used, I'd guess with Bo but we'll see. 

I think Bo needs a play maker on his line.

Even though him and Pearson had good chemistry late last year it didn't seem to travel the summer.

Even if Baer can't stick it would be interesting to see a skill player like him with Bo and Jake

Also a third line of Pearson-Sutter-Leivo is a better matchup line

Edited by Wanless
  • Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Ah crap! I certainly hope this isn’t a concussion. 

I worry about this.  It almost looked like Ferland took the fight to see if he could sort of ignite some of his old intensity, but he did not look comfortable at all.  If he's still battling concussion symptoms from last year he needs to sit out and look after himself.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

It didnt look like he took any shots that did to much damage to the head. Just speculation but im thinking probably shoulder.

I thought hand but he seemed fine in the box. So likely something else.

3 hours ago, JayDangles said:

Exactly..... The top 6 is no longer full with Ferland out... so he will likely slot into Bo's line.

4 hours ago, Dekey Pete said:

I'm so happy about this.  I really like Sven and I hope he can make a case to stick around here.

Also DEPTH

I was one of the people who was surprised that Baertschi was waived to Utica.

However, the team has done well and no-one can reasonably complain about that decision now. With Baertschi's concussion history and relatively high cap hit he was very unlikely to be picked up on waivers and playing in Utica has allowed him to get his timing back and to show that he is ready to play. And, given what he done with Utica, he looks like he should be in the NHL.

I have always liked Baertschi and he has generally done well with Horvat in the past. Also, his numbers suggest that he is  a legitimate top-6 player (second liner).

So I would like to see him with Bo. 

The Canucks wanted to go in the direction of being "tough to play against", so they had Ferland in that slot instead of Baertschi. But I think the team has quite a bit of team toughness even with Baer instead of Ferland. 

Anyway, I hope he does well. He deserves a shot. 

Edited by JamesB
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, mll said:

They said they demoted him because they didn't think he could play on the 3rd line and the top-6 was full.

That's garbage, im sure Baertchi can be an effective third line player in the new NHL. I get you need a certain number of PKers but you also need guys who can play on the PP.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

That's garbage, im sure Baertchi can be an effective third line player in the new NHL. I get you need a certain number of PKers but you also need guys who can play on the PP.

Benning said Green wanted to go in another direction and he was no longer a fit.  Benning also explained that he was not a PP consideration - they had Pearson, Leivo, Ferland ahead of him on the PP.

Edited by mll

I think it’s great having Baer back. 

I do feel bad for Utica. 8-0 to start the year and players are being pulled away already. I know that’s the point of the Farm team. And I know they were winning before these same players were even added to the roster. I just really want to see the farm team win a championship. Especially with all the young guys in the system. Championship help create foundations, expectations and traditions. A group that grows a wins together at all levels. 

1 hour ago, Dekey Pete said:

I'm so happy about this.  I really like Sven and I hope he can make a case to stick around here.

Also DEPTH

Totally man!! Especially right now the whole team is clicking and running on all cylinders... Baertschi usually works well with Bo and with Virtanen to provide the speed and grit, this line is gonna surprise us!! I believe Baertschi got his wake-up call to start the season in Utica and he seems to have taken it graciously... so let's see if he can contribute on a consistent basis!

Pearson is doing fine on our 3rd line with Sutter and Leivo. Our 4th line will get a boost once Roussel returns... 

If Baertschi gets to stick and I'm confident he will.... the roster spot battle gonna be Eriksson vs. Motte.... so far, Eriksson still hasn't convinced me he deserves to stay... he just skates around, trying to forecheck a bit but just doesn't give us anything special offensively.... on the other hand, Motte gives his 101% everytime he's on the ice!!

The silver lining to Ferda's injury is that it came at a good time. We're just embarking on a tough November schedule that will really test our team, but we can now exercise our good depth, which should allow for our guys to step it up more and come even closer together as a team. 

Good times. 

1 hour ago, mll said:

That was not his understanding.  He said they phoned him and told him he is going on waivers - doesn't fit the team.  The reporter asked him about the discussion Benning/Green had with his agent - and wrote that Baertschi wondered how can he be a recall option when he doesn't fit the team.

not too many people would tell, a guy recovering from a concussion, "we think you are afraid to play the right way, so we are sending you down"

• Cheers 1