The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

This team is set up for years to come. Will we become the NHLs next dynasty?

Rate this topic

Gator

Our Future  

129 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

After a disappointing 0-2 start, and winning 8 of our last 10 games to improve to 8-3-1 our Canucks are looking like a legit contender. The team is on fire and has the best goal differential in the entire NHL. Our only 2 losses came to the hands of the Devils on a rare night that our team couldn't score we lost 1-0, and the other loss we blew a 5-1 lead and lost in a shootout to Ovechkin and the Capitals. So we realistically should/could be on a 10 game win streak.

Buckle up guys. It's going to be a fun season!

What do the best teams have?

Good 1-2 punch centers:

Petey/Horvat

30-40+ Goal scorers:

Boeser/Petey

PMD:

Hughes/Stecher/Juolevi?

Shutdown Dmen:

Myers/Edler/Tanev/Tryamkin?

Physicality:

Myers/Virtanen/Tryamkin?/Horvat/Ferland/...

Speed:

Petey/Horvat/Virtanen/Miller/Hughes

Playmaking:

Petey/Horvat/Hughes/Miller

Goaltending:

Markstrom/Demko

Solid Bottom 6 + depth:

Check + check

Now I'm not guaranteeing we win the cup. I mean come on, it's been how many years since a Canadian team hoisted the damn cup, but if there was a Canadian team to do so it's the Canucks, Oilers, or the Maple Leafs. With how good our team is playing so far we have a good argument that we are currently the better team of the 3, but that's a whole other discussion.

So it seems the rebuild is officially over and instead of the "there will be better days ahead" talk we can now start the "the better days are finally here chat".

Now the big question is, is this sustainable for the next 10+ years? And if so how?

Now first of all let's take a look at our current future core.

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Virtanen Horvat Podkolzin?

????? ????? ?????

????? ????? ?????

Hughes Tryamkin

????? ?????

????? ?????

Demko (dont consider Marky future core)

Now that's a very solid core that should be fairly easy to keep intact for 10+ years. That's not including future players/prospects that will shine. We do have a very stocked cupboard of prospects coming up. Just think I didnt list players such as Juolevi, Woo, Madden, Lind, Gaudette, Hoglander, or Focht and everyone of those players could become that next big player and maybe even fill that Podkolzin spot in the top 6. We are deep.

Now obviously if all those prospects pan out we will be forced into some roster moves eventually, but until then we could have them play in our bottom 6, or keep them developing in Utica and call upon them when injuries occur. At some point the players will force us to make tough choices (we hope), which means we wont always have this depth, right?

Technically, yes. However as most Canuck fans know, Jim Benning is a draft guru and no matter if we are winning cups and picking last, or finishing last and picking 1st, JB will pull out some NHL players out of most if not all drafts. This is the biggest reason I feel we will become a dominant force in the NHL for years to come, and it wont come crashing down after a few years of success like our 2010-2013 team.

As long as JB keeps this core together and continues drafting well we wont be slowing down anytime soon, and that is why I believe we will be a force for many, many years. Just look at the difference in our drafting between the JB era and the MG era.

Screenshot_20191030-151708_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20191030-151741_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20191030-151913_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20191030-151939_Chrome.jpg

"Dynasty" ?? maybe pushing it cause its still early. But this is definitely the best Canucks team I have seen since 2011.. Its very exciting.. Tonight and Tomorrow are huge games.. I suspect we will lose. But I am hoping we will win becuase that will mean we are one of the top teams in the league without a doubt

and about drafting. Jim has been amazing, but lets also not forget he drafted joulevi instead of Ktchuck.. ouch

Edited by TheNewGM
  • Upvote 2

Dynasty is an 80s term and will never be repeated, thanks to the cap. No way EDM could afford Gretzky, Kurri, Messier, Coffey etc. today. 

Canucks have a good team with depth, and some real good prospects developing. As long as Benning doesn't trade anymore 1sts, they shoud be okay for a long time. Excited to see Hoglander and Podkolzin eventually join. Same with Woo, Juolevi, Rathbone and Tryamkin.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TheNewGM said:

"Dynasty" ?? maybe pushing it cause its still early. But this is definitely the best Canucks team I have seen since 2011.. Its very exciting.. Tonight and Tomorrow are huge games.. I suspect we will lose. But I am hoping we will win becuase that will mean we are one of the top teams in the league without a doubt

and about drafting. Jim has been amazing, but lets also not forget he drafted joulevi instead of Ktchuck.. ouch

I don't think its quite understood that for one the team needed to add defense prospects, Juolevi was viewed as one of the top prospects and hindsight always sucks haha. I think we are going to see a very valuable defenseman develop here and play big minutes at ES, PP, PK for us down the road in Juolevi. Its fair to question it as he is not in the NHL right now, but he is projecting to be top four and productive in that role.

This is where people should not have listened to or been influenced by the SN 650 " The Playbook " show that was on, if I had to hear one more time how the pick was a major miss and maybe the Canucks will get lucky and Juolevi can play in the top six if things work out.......he will be a key player in Vancouver.

I like what I've seen, but this team is on a streak. Confidence is high and we are scoring and defending extremely well, while getting very solid goaltending. 

Will it last? Well, some of the stats just aren't sustainable so if it does last we will have to find ways to make that happen. I believe it is actually more likely that we will decline at least a bit as the season evens out. (Though I would love to be proven wrong).

As far as "Dynasty"? I am not sure there really ARE Dynasties in today's cap-hindered NHL. We do have a couple of solid prospects who have a good chance of making the NHL and a large handful of others who are more outside chances, but I don't see anything in our prospect pool to make me believe we have massive high-end talent coming. But who knows - between free agent signings and team improvement anything can happen.

17 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Dynasty is an 80s term and will never be repeated, thanks to the cap. No way EDM could afford Gretzky, Kurri, Messier, Coffey etc. today. 

Canucks have a good team with depth, and some real good prospects developing. As long as Benning doesn't trade anymore 1sts, they shoud be okay for a long time. Excited to see Hoglander and Podkolzin eventually join. Same with Woo, Juolevi, Rathbone and Tryamkin.

Dynasties were around for a long time before the 80’s but get your meaning like that’s the last we will see of them.   MTL had three.   What really hurt the 80’s team was salary disclosure - which would have shredded them to bits even if  Pocklington wasn’t getting in money trouble and needed cash from the Gretzky trade to bail them out (which happened a year prior).   Already let Coffey go too. 

Since then its debatable that Detroit had a dynasty - I’d say no - they lost more series to COL then won in the eight year period between those two teams first and last cups (96-2002).   Both were great teams though.  NJ also won three. 

Then the cap - and CHI wins three and gets called a dynasty by Buttman and has floundered ever since.   Under the cap debatable but I’d agree no way we will ever see a genuine one again.  It’s a pity, it’s also a pity that it’s hard to have rivalries like we used to either - takes elite teams going hammer and tong against each other to really grow the hate.  Like EDM and CAL (the few times EDM faltered CAL was right there to go to the final during that span), COL/DET etc, and even VAN/CAL  89-95.   VAN/COL in the WCE years too (both times top two in division etc). 

Convincing the players to share salaries made them richer and richer - but it did come at a cost too, ones for the fans.   Now at least if you make the playoffs you might win - but soon to be 32 teams doesn’t make the math all that encouraging either.  Hope they are done with expansion...

16 hours ago, 6string said:

I dunno about a dynasty but I'm betting that a Colorado/Vancouver rivalry starts this season.

Re-starts ha ha.   One of the few we’ve ever had in our history - nice to see it looks like we have the earmarkings for a new one ... need to meet them in the playoffs on sequential years to start building the hate...current playoff format helps with that too..

Edited by IBatch
  • Upvote 1