The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[POLL] Trading assets to win now?

Rate this topic

Wanless

Are you ok with trading picks and prospects?  

165 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The only moves I would make would be to trim the expensive depth players or to move anyone unhappy.  IE Rumours have Stecher not happy with his current role.  He may end up being dealt due to a numbers game.  

Other than that, move Baer if he wants out.  Give Goldies agent a chance to drum up interest in his client.  

Someone else is likely being moved when Rousell gets back if Ferland is okay.  

Nothing is urgent and we haven't scratched the surface of how this team is working yet.  The early chemistry is pretty awesome. 

The only time I saw this prior as a Canuck fan was when Quinn went out and either traded for or drafted the following in a 4 year span, Linden, Bure, McLean, Ronning, Adam's, Momeso, Durke, Murzyn, , Courtnal, etc...  leading up to the 94 finalist team.  

It was more dramatic, but free agents were still pretty rare.  So trades were the primary way everyone moved around.   

Benning was one of the guys jettisoned to make room for better players.  So he should know.  

IMO this team is eerily similar to the 1991 team, but better.  Linden was the captain, McLean in net and Quinn just robbed the St Louis Blues.  Ronning, Momeso, Courtnal and I believe Durke were added for Butcher, Snepsts and I think Dan Quinn.  

Benning already did that thru FA.  Things work differently now.  

The 89 team lost to the Kings in a very exciting 7 game series.  The Kings made it to the finals that year.  

Edited by Phat Fingers
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

This has some merit (the OP), it’s been a while since we’ve had a team quite like this.  Under the cap I’ve never been as excited.   That said it’s too early to know what we really have yet.   This thread would be a lot more appropriate closer to the TDL.   If we cruise right through winning at the same rate...well then hell yeah we try and improve but I’d keep it to minor tweaks.   We need our picks - if anything even if things look good at the TDL I’d think seriously about selling high on one or two guys.   JB is and needs to continue building for the future / we won’t see the best version of the team for a few years yet.   If I had to wager - I’d say we’d be saying goodbye to one or two guys - and see a rental coming back our way.  JB has already said there are ways to recover our first from the Miller trade.  No matter what I see us doing something this year. 

As far as TDL deals go, the trade that I would be ok with is something exactly like the miller trade as opposed to a rental player. We've all seen the Jets do this and are now imploding.

I will be interesting to see how Jim trys to get a first round pick back though

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

Where are you looking to upgrade?  Unless you're talking about trading multiple 1st round picks and add our best prospects, you're not upgrading our top end D.  Unless you want to go all in and add a soon to be past his prime horrible contract D.  

Go back and read the OP there are only two areas I see that could be upgraded. 

54 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

It would have to be a Mark Stone type of player young enough that you’re signing him to be a part of your long term future. Somebody mentioned Taylor Hall. Say he came with a reasonable extension.

That's exactly it

If I was gm I'd by trying to pry Alex Tuch from the knights

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

I don't think you're going to get a better 3rd pairing D than Stetcher.  

It's not about getting a better d man than Stetcher. It's selling him to a team for them to use in their top 4 while we get another guy like Benn who can play bottom pairing and fill in on PK. What Stetcher is being used for is replaceable and my point is that stetcher has positive trade value vs what it would cost to replace his role 

5 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

The trade market is all over the place. Benning had to get a 1st to get JT Miller even though it was taking a contract. But it is a reasonable contract from the production we're getting. But others like Justin Faulk plus a 5th round pick,  involved a high end prospect, a mid level player, and a 7th round pick. 

So value is very subjective from the looks of it. The Salary Cap is making trades difficult. We've seen this offseason we had to let Hutton go for nothing. This is not because Benning failed to get a trade. It's just harder to make a deal for average players, because no one wants the cap hit. 

I will not be surprised if we see a lot more attrition of good young players taking spots on the team, and letting players go at the end of their contracts. Even though that makes the trade deadline day a lot more boring. 

Little off, first of all..

Miller wasn't in the top 6 in tampa.

tampa needed cap space for Braedon Point.

Miller is signed for 3 more seasons.

Faulk wanted out of carolina for a while now.

He had a limited NMC and declined a trade to anaheim.

Faulk made it known that if a team wanted him and extension must be in place before accept a trade.

Faulk also was only signed for this season at the time.

Faulk decided where he would play, for how long and how much, thus limiting carolinas return on him.

Miller had no say in his trade to Van.

Faulk is a D man and Miller a Forward. Can't really compare the 2 TBH.

Nah way too early to tell. Also, we need to draft well if we want a continuous rotation of talent, so trading draft picks is always risky. I think we just need to be patient and let what we have develop. No need to rush things like Toronto 

3 hours ago, the grinder said:

with what salary cap ? we cant just add 3-7 million dollar salary  ,  if loui , baer where traded first then maybe we could  pick up a 2-4 million dollar player  but we already have lots of those so we are better standing pat , or it will be a lateral trade  salary for salary  , do you want to end up like sharks and have karllsson for 8 years   even the sharks fans boo him lol

Taylor Hall only makes 1.7 million more than Sutter. Obviously in any deal you move some cap back to make it work. Fitting him in this year shouldn’t be all that tough it’s the future years that will be tough. It’s all hypothetical scenarios and obviously you don’t do a trade like this without a new contract in order and that you can fit such a contract in with re-uping the current youth. We do have expiring contracts coming off the books where letting some of the vets walk and replacing them with youth it could work.

1 hour ago, flickyoursedin said:

Taylor Hall only makes 1.7 million more than Sutter. Obviously in any deal you move some cap back to make it work. Fitting him in this year shouldn’t be all that tough it’s the future years that will be tough. It’s all hypothetical scenarios and obviously you don’t do a trade like this without a new contract in order and that you can fit such a contract in with re-uping the current youth. We do have expiring contracts coming off the books where letting some of the vets walk and replacing them with youth it could work.

we still don't have the cap space   for 1.7  more  and what will hall want 8 million a season ?  then ep and hughes need to be signed , plus 2 more years of 3 million cap penalty    ,  how is Toronto doing  with a plan like yours ?   because that's what will happen, no cap space for  defense men  , 3rd and fourth liners   

10 hours ago, King Heffy said:

No way.  We aren't going to win a cup this year; our young core will have to take their lumps in the playoffs just like every other talented group. 

In order to make room for a 2nd line RW or an upgrade over Stecher, we need to create the cap space.  Either we're making another hole by trading someone useful, or giving up a ton of futures to get rid of LE, assuming we can even find a trading partner and he agrees to a deal.  Even worse, we have a cap crunch rapidly approaching with ELCs expiring for both EP40 and Hughes.  We will be very, very grateful for young, cheap talent once we reach that point.

Well there’s always a chance...we are 5th in the league :bigblush:

It depends on the player we'd be acquiring. Nobody past their mid-20's if we're talking about a significant asset like a high end prospect of a pick. At 26, Miller was a stretch for a 1st. 

With that that, it seems like we're entering the next phase of our rebuild. Where all the pieces we've accumulated are starting to come together. Now the holes in our lineup are going to become more apparent, and we should do what's necessary to plug those holes before we start eating into our window. One more legit top 6 player and a top pairing Dman to play the right side for the foreseeable future come to mind. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Wanless said:

It's not about getting a better d man than Stetcher. It's selling him to a team for them to use in their top 4 while we get another guy like Benn who can play bottom pairing and fill in on PK. What Stetcher is being used for is replaceable and my point is that stetcher has positive trade value vs what it would cost to replace his role 

That's not what this thread is about. 

No.

Rentals very, very, very rarely work.

If we're moving assets to get assets, that's one thing. The Miller trade is an example of that; he's the guy you hope to draft in the "20s" of the first round, already on a great contract for good term.

Eric Weinrich, Keith Carney, Derek Roy, and the dozen or so other rentals over the past number of years fail to work out. No to rentals.

Finally, you're breaking the Alain Vigneault rule; you've got something that is clearly working at the moment. Alain would then bring out the blender and **ck that up.

Don't be Alain. Be smarter. Tweak what isn't working rather than break what's working in the hopes it fixes what isn't. Plug the injury holes with our own guys. We have enough guys on the farm now that should be able to fill in where required, so let them. Be the team that keeps and develops its own waves of talent (like Boston is currently doing), rather than the Leafs who have that two-three year window and...that's pretty much all she wrote. It's not a crime to let prospects season properly in the AHL, it's not NHL19/20/XX where you can just trade whoever for whoever just cuz.