The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[POLL] Trading assets to win now?

Rate this topic

Wanless

Are you ok with trading picks and prospects?  

165 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

18 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

The only moves I would make would be to trim the expensive depth players or to move anyone unhappy.  IE Rumours have Stecher not happy with his current role.  He may end up being dealt due to a numbers game.  

Other than that, move Baer if he wants out.  Give Goldies agent a chance to drum up interest in his client.  

Someone else is likely being moved when Rousell gets back if Ferland is okay.  

Nothing is urgent and we haven't scratched the surface of how this team is working yet.  The early chemistry is pretty awesome. 

The only time I saw this prior as a Canuck fan was when Quinn went out and either traded for or drafted the following in a 4 year span, Linden, Bure, McLean, Ronning, Adam's, Momeso, Durke, Murzyn, , Courtnal, etc...  leading up to the 92 finalist team.  

It was more dramatic, but free agents were still pretty rare.  So trades were the primary way everyone moved around.   

Benning was one of the guys jettisoned to make room for better players.  So he should know.  

IMO this team is eerily similar to the 1989 team, but better.  Linden was the captain, McLean in net and Quinn just robbed the St Louis Blues.  Ronning, Momeso, Courtnal and I believe Durke were added for Butcher, Snepsts and I think Dan Quinn.  

Benning already did that thru FA.  Things work differently now.  

The 89 team lost to the Kings in a very exciting 7 game series.  The Kings made it to the finals that year.  

First of all you need a history lesson, The Quinn coached and managed team went to the finals in 94 not 92. Pat also had to rebuild a team and a relationship between the city and the team. Much Like JB is doing now.

The trade that brought Momesso Ronning and Courtnall here had no Snepts in it. but it was considered one of the most lopsided trades in NHL history.

Now the 89 team was not anywhere near as young as this team. They had a lot of older players like Mel Bridgman, Ken Berry , Stan Smyl, Larry Melnyk,Paul Reinhart, Doug Lidster,Steve Bozek and they played the Calgary Flames not the Kings as you somehow have confused. The Canucks should have won that series as Joel Otto kicked the puck in and also was in the crease.

This team has a wealth of young under 25 talent that we have not seen before. As they bring in the Podkolzins, Hoglanders, Woos, Maddens, the team will still be young.

The difference in this group is how many of our Draft picks are playing on the team and in leading roles. This is where we will see the difference. We get to watch these players for a lot longer.

Edited by mikeyman109
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, brownky said:

No.

Rentals very, very, very rarely work.

If we're moving assets to get assets, that's one thing. The Miller trade is an example of that; he's the guy you hope to draft in the "20s" of the first round, already on a great contract for good term.

Eric Weinrich, Keith Carney, Derek Roy, and the dozen or so other rentals over the past number of years fail to work out. No to rentals.

Finally, you're breaking the Alain Vigneault rule; you've got something that is clearly working at the moment. Alain would then bring out the blender and **ck that up.

Don't be Alain. Be smarter. Tweak what isn't working rather than break what's working in the hopes it fixes what isn't. Plug the injury holes with our own guys. We have enough guys on the farm now that should be able to fill in where required, so let them. Be the team that keeps and develops its own waves of talent (like Boston is currently doing), rather than the Leafs who have that two-three year window and...that's pretty much all she wrote. It's not a crime to let prospects season properly in the AHL, it's not NHL19/20/XX where you can just trade whoever for whoever just cuz.

Absolutely no to rentals, they are expensive and don't usually work out

But say a team has a fire sale like Ottawa did, or players that are in roles are below their skill level. This is where the trades should be focused. Players that are bumped down the depth chart on deep teams like miller was are out there

• Cheers 1

I’d trade a pick before a stud prospect, of course. 

I’d package Jake and a pick or two to get something, as I would with Sutter or Stetcher. 

Without having the trades to vote on, pretty tough to crystal ball up a scenario, since we don’t know what is in play out there. 

Edited by 189lb enforcers?

I would hold on to our next pick but might consider a prospect-for-young player trade. The 1st for Miller was a stroke of genius in the end because it's top-15 protected, so essentially we're giving up a 20ish overall pick for a young versatile forward who's currently scoring at a point per game. We'd be lucky to get a guaranteed 1st liner for a 20-30 overall pick so JB did well there, but we should hold onto some picks in the future.

As for young forwards, we have plenty to dangle around for current young guys (20-24 y.o) who can help us win. 

2 hours ago, mikeyman109 said:

First of all you need a history lesson, The Quinn coached and managed team went to the finals in 94 not 92. Pat also had to rebuild a team and a relationship between the city and the team. Much Like JB is doing now.

The trade that brought Momesso Ronning and Courtnall here had no Snepts in it. but it was considered one of the most lopsided trades in NHL history.

Now the 89 team was not anywhere near as young as this team. They had a lot of older players like Mel Bridgman, Ken Berry , Stan Smyl, Larry Melnyk,Paul Reinhart, Doug Lidster,Steve Bozek and they played the Calgary Flames not the Kings as you somehow have confused. The Canucks should have won that series as Joel Otto kicked the puck in and also was in the crease.

This team has a wealth of young under 25 talent that we have not seen before. As they bring in the Podkolzins, Hoglanders, Woos, Maddens, the team will still be young.

The difference in this group is how many of our Draft picks are playing on the team and in leading roles. This is where we will see the difference. We get to watch these players for a lot longer.

Mikey man,

Think you need two lessons, first dont be rude, second  i made an error with adding Dan Quinn to the Butcher trade and it was the 1991 season, Quinndid go to St Louis with Nedved in 94.  While you are correct that Quinn was our coach and GM in 1994, you are false in your assumption  that he wasn't the GM and coach in '89.  Don't believe me, go watch a clip of the '88 draft when Pat Quinn drafted Trevor Linden.  

The pre Bure '91 team squeaked into the playoffs vs LA right after Quinn fleeced the Blues with the Butcher trade.  

See, you can assume things and be a jerk about it only making an ass out of you, not me.  

Edited by Phat Fingers
  • Wat 1

If you're trading assets to help you improve then I'm all for that, but if you're trading assets to just win now I'm not for that yet. This teams goal is to make the playoffs first, once they do that then we can evaluate what is needed after or who knows maybe they pull it off, but the key is playoffs first, these young guys need to experience some playoff hockey to really understand how the game changes from season to playoffs. The season is still fresh right now, who knows what will actually happen in the next couple months, injuries slumps whatever the case might be, or they just keep playing strong and stay healthy, but this group needs to see playoff hockey and as long as they see that I'm happy.

• Cheers 1

all comes down to effort...you can trade for a wayne gretzky but if his work ethic and his character is not what its suppose to be you will just set back your team....sure the canucks could be better in some areas but every team has the same problem..what id like and i think the teams personnel have been doing is focusing on team fitness and training...from goal tending coach too power skating drills and basics like how to improve your shot block without injury or body checks etc....team character along with good fitness i think is very important in this too long really of nhl season...

I don’t think we have reason enough to enter “win now” mode. I wouldn’t trade any of our picks or prospects unless the return is:

A - not a rental

B - a solid upgrade to the team

C - is clearly an overpayment by the other team. 
this team is coming together, playing solid hockey and making it fun to be a fan again...but I still think it’s early to declare them true cup contenders. Let’s see how they do through January and after the inevitable injuries or dry spells hit. At this time I would consider trading someone like Stecher but still only for an overpayment. He is better than a third pairing guy so if a team wants to give us a very good third stringer and a decent pick you have to consider it...but I don’t think JB should be looking for it. 

22 hours ago, Wanless said:

It's not about getting a better d man than Stetcher. It's selling him to a team for them to use in their top 4 while we get another guy like Benn who can play bottom pairing and fill in on PK. What Stetcher is being used for is replaceable and my point is that stetcher has positive trade value vs what it would cost to replace his role 

Edmundson 

2 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

Mikey man,

Think you need two lessons, first dont be rude, second  i made an error with adding Dan Quinn to the Butcher trade and it was the 1991 season, Quinndid go to St Louis with Nedved in 94.  While you are correct that Quinn was our coach and GM in 1994, you are false in your assumption  that he wasn't the GM and coach in '89.  Don't believe me, go watch a clip of the '88 draft when Pat Quinn drafted Trevor Linden.  

The pre Bure '91 team squeaked into the playoffs vs LA right after Quinn fleeced the Blues with the Butcher trade.  

See, you can assume things and be a jerk about it only making an ass out of you, not me.  

If I may, his tone was neutral throughout and it wasn’t read as being rude from my end. I think you two are running nearly parallel here, for sure. 

I’d look at adding Lowry and Edmundson, like I’ve suggested for the past few seasons. 

I think adding those two would place this team into playoff warrior status, on paper. 

More intimidation and pushback; mean-streaks. 

Sutter, Stetcher and Virtanen are who I’d be willing to part with other than what is currently in Utica, which I doubt has much value. 

Id wait till the new year before we consider adding any pieces. 

Even then I feel we might have enough depth in our top 9 and top 4. 

In order to get you gotta give and idk if that’s a good idea this year. We’re a young team that is gonna continue to gradually add younger players on a yearly basis. 

• Cheers 1

Minnesota and San Jose must be thinking trade. 

I doubt the Wild want to trade young players like Kunin or Hartman, let alone Greenway.

As far as Canuck rental-type opportunity goes, Staal or Koivu could be monstrous add for this current roster. It would be interesting to see what options there were in such a trade scenario. Spit balling, of course. 

OP is fine and the topic is early.

Canuck are looking too be in good shape right now. roster wise , depth wise and prospect wise.

but Canucks will in the near future have Ready Prospects and no spots for them also with the new Jimbo direction of playoff style players for the Canucks there will be trades.

so who’s the Prospect keepers? Remember Canucks shouldn’t get soft or small moving forward, hogs is small but fiesty so he’s definitely a keeper.

Lockwood is one guy who doesn’t have a Canuck place in the future so I see him traded. He’s not a good Canuck fit. He’s a trade bait guy that needs To be traded or signed at season end then traded when he’s a Comet....hopefully for a draft pick.

anywho it is extremely early too think about it. 

Also I’m against Canucks picking up Any rental guys, I’m only open to future longer term upgrades not small term bandaids.

it is amazing what Team Tank has done the for the now bright future. Those anti team tank where whiny bitches with no clue.

Edited by HockeyHarry
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1