The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[POLL] Trading assets to win now?

Rate this topic

Wanless

Are you ok with trading picks and prospects?  

165 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, HockeyHarry said:

OP is fine and the topic is early.

Canuck are looking too be in good shape right now. roster wise , depth wise and prospect wise.

but Canucks will in the near future have Ready Prospects and no spots for them also with the new Jimbo direction of playoff style players for the Canucks there will be trades.

so who’s the Prospect keepers? Remember Canucks shouldn’t get soft or small moving forward, hogs is small but fiesty so he’s definitely a keeper.

Lockwood is one guy who doesn’t have a Canuck place in the future so I see him traded. He’s not a good Canuck fit. He’s a trade bait guy that needs To be traded or signed at season end then traded when he’s a Comet....hopefully for a draft pick.

anywho it is extremely early too think about it. 

Also I’m against Canucks picking up Any rental guys, I’m only open to future longer term upgrades not small term bandaids.

it is amazing what Team Tank has done the for the now bright future. Those anti team tank where whiny bitches with no clue.

I think you hit a solid point in that we are going to have players ready with zero room. This could start happening as early as next season though most likely the 21/22 season.

Inevitably we will be trading prospects.

I'm also with you, no to TDL rentals

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

I’d trade a pick before a stud prospect, of course. 

I’d package Jake and a pick or two to get something, as I would with Sutter or Stetcher. 

Without having the trades to vote on, pretty tough to crystal ball up a scenario, since we don’t know what is in play out there. 

Remember how a couple years ago while Calgary decided on their core players and then traded everything of value outside to core to create the team today.

That's kind of what I'm wondering, would fans be ok if something like that were to happen as our core, will be around for 8-10 years before anyone ages out.

• Upvote 1

You shouldn't have just yes and no answers for the poll. Trading for the sake of trading isn't a good idea. If the question was for the return of a rental, then definitely not. But if we're getting back a good roster player, like Miller, then it's worth trading for. Both picks and prospects can be upgraded if the price is right IMO. Benning has done a good job of attempting to do this throughout his time here.

On 11/3/2019 at 6:02 AM, Wanless said:

It's not about getting a better d man than Stetcher. It's selling him to a team for them to use in their top 4 while we get another guy like Benn who can play bottom pairing and fill in on PK. What Stetcher is being used for is replaceable and my point is that stetcher has positive trade value vs what it would cost to replace his role 

Stetcher is not a top 4 in my books. He is fine where he's at

7 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

Mikey man,

Think you need two lessons, first dont be rude, second  i made an error with adding Dan Quinn to the Butcher trade and it was the 1991 season, Quinndid go to St Louis with Nedved in 94.  While you are correct that Quinn was our coach and GM in 1994, you are false in your assumption  that he wasn't the GM and coach in '89.  Don't believe me, go watch a clip of the '88 draft when Pat Quinn drafted Trevor Linden.  

The pre Bure '91 team squeaked into the playoffs vs LA right after Quinn fleeced the Blues with the Butcher trade.  

See, you can assume things and be a jerk about it only making an ass out of you, not me.  

Pat was a Gm and President when he got the job in Vancouver. But it was Bob McCammon who was coach the team in 88/89 season and coached that team until he was fired halfway through the 90/91 season  and that when Pat took over as coach.

In 1994 the Canucks ended up getting Craig Janney and a second round pick for compensation for the signing of F/A Petr Nedved.But since Janney didn't want to play in Vancouver they traded him back to the Blues for Jeff Brown, Nathen Lafayette, and Brett Hedican

On 11/3/2019 at 4:53 PM, Wanless said:

I think you hit a solid point in that we are going to have players ready with zero room. This could start happening as early as next season though most likely the 21/22 season.

Inevitably we will be trading prospects.

I'm also with you, no to TDL rentals

I agree no rentals ,but we shouldn't trade asset just yet. Imo we are a about three years away from being in contention Did you guys consider who your going to expose in the expansion draft. Remember we can keep 7 forwards 3 defencemen and one goaltender.   Wanless in two years ,Sutter will be 32 , Tanner Pearson will be 29,,Beagle 36, Edler will be 35 , Tanev 31, Benn will be 34 ,ERICKSSON'S Contract will over at 36 by then. Ferland,and Beartchi have questionable health issues.,  So your still going to tell us in two years there will be no room for these prospects and that we should trade them ? You build a team that can contend for years. where we still have our young core and adding prospects. What Benning is doing is building a gap where his prospects can have time to slowly developed and taking over some of aging Vets or the ones that will be gone in the expansion draft. if we traded our prospects then the last 5 years was a waste of time.

Edited by canacks1970

I totally agree that this is too early to make trade, except with Loui.

The team is quite excellent now. The current four ring wings play good, Stretch is one of best 3rd pair D in the league.

The depth is satisficed. 

I only agree to trade Loui for an early pick,  making cap room and prepare more future depth.

However, I don't think BN could do it now.

9 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

Mikey man,

Think you need two lessons, first dont be rude, second  i made an error with adding Dan Quinn to the Butcher trade and it was the 1991 season, Quinndid go to St Louis with Nedved in 94.  While you are correct that Quinn was our coach and GM in 1994, you are false in your assumption  that he wasn't the GM and coach in '89.  Don't believe me, go watch a clip of the '88 draft when Pat Quinn drafted Trevor Linden.  

The pre Bure '91 team squeaked into the playoffs vs LA right after Quinn fleeced the Blues with the Butcher trade.  

See, you can assume things and be a jerk about it only making an ass out of you, not me.  

First off you assume i was not aware Quinn was the GM in 89, you couldnt be more off. I was referring to the error on your comment the Canucks went to the finals in 92. which they did not. I never assume, so if you try to put words in others mouths you often are incorrect about their intentions. I have watched every season of the Canucks since they entered the league so trying to give me a history lesson on this team might be difficult, but i always try to learn things here.

Secondly you also were incorrect on the team we played in the 7 game series in 89. It was the Flames not the Kings.

As for being a jerk ok if you took it that way thats fine but i never try to make anyone here feel bad about their support of our team. If you are looking for a fight this is the wrong place. All the best to you. You may find others here more interested in arguing with you over your mistaken history.Cheers

Edited by mikeyman109
  • Cheers 1

On 11/3/2019 at 1:01 AM, Wanless said:

This year the Canucks are doing everything right for their stage of rebuild, which needing no overhaul to any area suggests it's been accomplished.

The line up is looking deep, scoring coming from everywhere, team defense and the numbers to back it up and goaltending.

There is however a couple areas that still needs to be addressed. 

First is a RW for the second line 

Second is a defenceman that can replace Stetcher. It seems that Green isn't using him to his full value and could be worth more in return than the current value he brings to the team. We all saw his performance last year averaging 19.55 mins a game and how well he played and this year he is down to 13.29

These are the two areas that I can see an opening for improvement.

Options for trades that have value

Gaudette

Virtanen

Madden

Juolevi

Lind

Podkolzin

Picks

2020 second to seventh

2021 first to seventh

Etc 

If you feel like staying the course and not trading anything what is your reasoning?

If you would feel comfortable making trades who/what would be ok giving up and what would be addressed?

Nope.

I would keep everything exactly as is, as far as this year goes.

The only thing I would do, is bring back Tryamkin when his season ends.

Depending on how things go and where Podkolzin is at on his development (and of it was logistically feasible), I’d also consider bringing in Podkolzin.

I still wouldnt for another season or 2, these are deep drafts coming up and we are still short on positional depth in our prospect pool, but what's amazing is for the first time in a decade or so we are actually in a position to consider this :o

On 11/2/2019 at 5:45 PM, Alflives said:

We already did trade future picks to get Miller.  And we are winning now.  Trading away any more picks or prospects will only mean our current winning window will close sooner.  

A big mistake trading away this year's #1 pick, it will come back to haunt them in two years. Many teams will tank this year almost guaranteeing the Canucks a playoffs spot this happened in 2014.

On 11/2/2019 at 5:48 PM, Alflives said:

OP you want to become the Loser Leafs, and not be a winner and have no future?  

IF Benning had any hockey sense he would have tried to get an extra pick this year, 2 first round picks in this year's draft class would have solved the cap crisis coming and opened up a much bigger "window".

On 11/2/2019 at 6:26 PM, King Heffy said:

No way.  We aren't going to win a cup this year; our young core will have to take their lumps in the playoffs just like every other talented group. 

In order to make room for a 2nd line RW or an upgrade over Stecher, we need to create the cap space.  Either we're making another hole by trading someone useful, or giving up a ton of futures to get rid of LE, assuming we can even find a trading partner and he agrees to a deal.  Even worse, we have a cap crunch rapidly  approaching with ELCs expiring for both EP40 and Hughes.  We will be very, very grateful for young, cheap talent once we reach that point.

They will make the playoffs, lose the first round pick, trade away a promising prospect to correct one of Benning's contract/evaluation mistakes and to make cap space. They will act like the cap crisis is a big surprise and blame the NHL, cap recapture, Luongo or having to give out a big contract.

Fans here will laud Benning for all the clause contracts he signed and gave out, will give him the keys to the city because the team gets into the playoffs this year, which almost a guarantee due to the depth of this years draft and suggest he get a prize from Menza for having 5 out of 42+ draft picks playing on the team, for being correct a whopping 12%.

Some of the very best GM's in history traded for the next year or two ahead of other teams, they could "see" the future and act to continue improving or holding the status quo.

Benning is not done trading away the future in one way or another, either he will sign more ludicrous over paying contracts and handcuff the team for doing any trades or he will be trading away good prospects and picks to move elephant contracts.

Canucks make the playoffs by 2 points, go out in the second round, trade Virtanen and Eriksson to make some room, lose Markstrom for nothing or over pay him, lose Tanev .

Build through the draft, the mantra for the last 6 years, just how many high end draft picks has Benning traded away now? And Gillis still gets fried, two presidents cups and a game 7 cup appearance with having only one top 9 pick (Horvat, pretty good evaluation skills because he took Horvat ahead of his expected spot) or better, If Gillis gets the shaft for the team winning league championship performances how is it Benning gets Mulligan after Mulligan for being the worst team over the last 5 years?

What the heck though,

Pettersson, Boeser, Hughes, Horvat, Demko and Virtanen are fun to watch.

The Bottom 6 look above average, they are certainly paid much higher than average

Goaltending looks superior to most division rivals.

Tanev and Edler are showing just how good they always have been and how vital they can be, (trade value way up right now)

Myers just looks like a fit and Benn steady

The center position looks solid

Game management appears to be in the Canuck favor right now.

Looks like Aquilini paid off the schedule maker.

First quarter looks great

3 minutes ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

A big mistake trading away this year's #1 pick, it will come back to haunt them in two years. Many teams will tank this year almost guaranteeing the Canucks a playoffs spot this happened in 2014.

IF Benning had any hockey sense he would have tried to get an extra pick this year, 2 first round picks in this year's draft class would have solved the cap crisis coming and opened up a much bigger "window".

They will make the playoffs, lose the first round pick, trade away a promising prospect to correct one of Benning's contract/evaluation mistakes and to make cap space. They will act like the cap crisis is a big surprise and blame the NHL, cap recapture, Luongo or having to give out a big contract.

Fans here will laud Benning for all the clause contracts he signed and gave out, will give him the keys to the city because the team gets into the playoffs this year, which almost a guarantee due to the depth of this years draft and suggest he get a prize from Menza for having 5 out of 42+ draft picks playing on the team, for being correct a whopping 12%.

Some of the very best GM's in history traded for the next year or two ahead of other teams, they could "see" the future and act to continue improving or holding the status quo.

Benning is not done trading away the future in one way or another, either he will sign more ludicrous over paying contracts and handcuff the team for doing any trades or he will be trading away good prospects and picks to move elephant contracts.

Canucks make the playoffs by 2 points, go out in the second round, trade Virtanen and Eriksson to make some room, lose Markstrom for nothing or over pay him, lose Tanev .

Build through the draft, the mantra for the last 6 years, just how many high end draft picks has Benning traded away now? And Gillis still gets fried, two presidents cups and a game 7 cup appearance with having only one top 9 pick (Horvat, pretty good evaluation skills because he took Horvat ahead of his expected spot) or better, If Gillis gets the shaft for the team winning league championship performances how is it Benning gets Mulligan after Mulligan for being the worst team over the last 5 years?

What the heck though,

Pettersson, Boeser, Hughes, Horvat, Demko and Virtanen are fun to watch.

The Bottom 6 look above average, they are certainly paid much higher than average

Goaltending looks superior to most division rivals.

Tanev and Edler are showing just how good they always have been and how vital they can be, (trade value way up right now)

Myers just looks like a fit and Benn steady

The center position looks solid

Game management appears to be in the Canuck favor right now.

Looks like Aquilini paid off the schedule maker.

First quarter looks great

I see JB trading Demko at the 2020 draft to recoup our first.  

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I see JB trading Demko at the 2020 draft to recoup our first.  

Too much back lash.

Decent thought, but to who? This draft is almost like being in a vault, NO teams want to move a 1rst. A 24th could be like last year's 3rd it is that deep, ALL HOCKEY PEOPLE  have known for 2 years how good this draft year was going to be and it has only grown in strength.

This, IMO, unnecessary trading of two picks, 1rst & 3rd and prospect for MIller and a one time playoff run is so bad. Reminds me that TO had to trade away a 1rst and 7th to make cap space by moving Marleau or many of the other trades where top pick/prospects were dealt with a contract to make cap space, this deal just seems backwards especially since Tampa had NO cap space at all, for them this turned into a 1rst, 3rd, prospect and Point for their third liner Miller. The optics of this deal will look horrible if they draft another player like Point and it takes their team cup contender status for another 6 years. They were already very deep in prospects.

Demko? Maybe Chicago or LA, San Jose doesn't have a 1rst because they traded it for Karlsson, seems 1rst's have Norris trophy value.

We are not in position to do it as we lost some picks and goaltender depth on a Miller trade.   I would do this trade only if the depth player in AHL is not able to crack on the roster and is nearing UFA at the trade deadlines.    If we are deep that even a player on 4th line in Utica is a 3rd liner in any other NHL team, you pull the trigger to improve even further if other team's 2nd liner is will be our 4th liner and we can afford to throw in some draft picks to complement the trade.  The goal is to continue to draft and make every position even stronger throughout the line-up to the point where the depth player can replace Petterson in an injury situation in the future without missing a beat, for example.    If you can find 3 other EP in a future draft, you can slow cook them in the AHL and still be effective when he is called up and not have to worry about whether his body is mature enough to withstand body-checking in the NHL.  This is JB's strength and the Canucks should take advantage of the potential dynasty in making with the drafting.