The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

MARKSTROM: GLORY GUY or $$$ GUY

Rate this topic

Snapshot85

So I have been pondering Jacob Markstrom .... and it seems to me alot depends on this question...... of Markstrom wants max $$ for performance ( hey he earned it ) then ultimately he probably will be moved at some point...

But....

If Marky is a Glory Guy.... and sees the canucks will be entering thier window in a few years... looks at his age... and decides he wants a cup more than $$ and offer canucks such a good contract even with a NMC/NTC they cant refuse....

Well like I said

.. is Marky a $$ Guy or a Glory Guy?

• Like 1
  • Wat 3

He’s not going to need a NTC to sign. I don’t think he’s done enough in the long term to earn one. 

You re sign him and let it play out. Demko keeps playing like he’s gonna be the No.1 you dangle Markstrom at the expansion draft. Would be a pretty good pick up for Seattle and we keep them from picking a forward or D 

My opinion of course 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

He’s not going to need a NTC to sign. I don’t think he’s done enough in the long term to earn one. 

You re sign him and let it play out. Demko keeps playing like he’s gonna be the No.1 you dangle Markstrom at the expansion draft. Would be a pretty good pick up for Seattle and we keep them from picking a forward or D 

My opinion of course 

Hey, its a good opinion...….do you really want to play him 8 times a year, if he stays good...………...Did you not notice Vegas's first 2 seasons?

Ouch! That would hurt...….don't you think?

22 minutes ago, Snapshot85 said:

So I have been pondering Jacob Markstrom .... and it seems to me alot depends on this question...... of Markstrom wants max $$ for performance ( hey he earned it ) then ultimately he probably will be moved at some point...

But....

If Marky is a Glory Guy.... and sees the canucks will be entering thier window in a few years... looks at his age... and decides he wants a cup more than $$ and offer canucks such a good contract even with a NMC/NTC they cant refuse....

Well like I said

.. is Marky a $$ Guy or a Glory Guy?

I don't think he gives up a Home Town discount without a NTC...……..just don't think he would

1 minute ago, janisahockeynut said:

Hey, its a good opinion...….do you really want to play him 8 times a year, if he stays good...………...Did you not notice Vegas's first 2 seasons?

Ouch! That would hurt...….don't you think?

At the end of the day you can’t control what that team picks for players. 

You can only really worry about what’s best for your team. And the way our team is trending we will lose a good player. I’d rather lose a goalie cause we will have 2 if that does indeed play out that way.

Do you really think Seattle is going to be Vegas 2.0 I have my doubts 

4 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

You can only really worry about what’s best for your team. And the way our team is trending we will lose a good player. I’d rather lose a goalie cause we will have 2 if that does indeed play out that way.

Hypothetically can protect 2 goalies and all of our stars... might lose someone like JV... but..... better to have 2 starters .. no??

I retract ... I just updated myself 1 goalie and 8 skaters... I thought it was any 9... my apologies 

Edited by Snapshot85

3 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

I think the new rules allow for a much better team than when we came in.....just look at our discussion

4 minutes ago, Snapshot85 said:

Hypothetically can protect 2 goalies and all of our stars... might lose someone like JV... but..... better to have 2 starters .. no??

Listen I’ve watched the team rebuild for quite awhile now and I’d like to see the window open a lot longer then 3-5 years. To me you build around Demko he’s younger. I think Marky is a great goalie but Demko is going to be better and for a longer time 

Edited by Devron44
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

it is either.....

7 forwards, 3 defencemen and a goalie

or

8 skaters, and a goalie

waiver players are exempt (ELC)...……....aka Hughes

I don't think either Gaudette or Demko are exempt...……..I could be wrong , but I don't think so

Edited by janisahockeynut

5 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I think the new rules allow for a much better team than when we came in.....just look at our discussion

This is true. But I think Vegas was something really special. I just don’t know if I can see that happening.

I don’t think anyone would have predicted that Karlsson would score 40 or their defence would be so solid defensively for example 

Just now, Devron44 said:

This is true. But I think Vegas was something really special. I just don’t know if I can see that happening.

I don’t think anyone would have predicted that Karlsson would score 40 or their defence would be so solid defensively for example 

Well with most teams only protecting 3 defense.... you end up with a entire team of 2nd line defenseman...... that's pretty damn solid

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Snapshot85 said:

Well with most teams only protecting 3 defense.... you end up with a entire team of 2nd line defenseman...... that's pretty damn solid

Yeah but even Sbisa was amazing the games he played for them. I don’t even know where he is now. It’s was masterful  job by their GM. They were coached extremely well and everyone bought in. It was quite amazing. Everything that needed to happen, happened for that team

• Thanks 1