The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

MARKSTROM: GLORY GUY or $$$ GUY

Rate this topic

Snapshot85

I'd offer Marky a 1 year 6M with NTC.  It gives him big bucks for a year while giving the Canucks the chance to protect Demko from Seattle expansion draft.  Then hopefully Canucks can re-sign Markstrom to a longer deal when he's a UFA.

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Well actually you can protect up to nine actually, but then you’d leave the rest of the guys open ha ha - and only if none of them have NMCs ha ha...

No, there are only two options available for teams and both of them only allow for 1 goalie to be protected.

Protected Players

Teams will be permitted to protect a certain amount of their players, meaning that they would not be exposed as available players in the Expansion Draft. Teams will be permitted to protect a group of players that fall under one of the following two options:

https://www.capfriendly.com/expansion-draft-faq

Option 1
Forwards 7
Defense 3
Goalies 1

Option 2
Skaters (F / D) 8
Goalies

I'll just come out and say it.  No goalie who has signed a massive deal has panned out.  Rinne years ago, Quick post cups, Bobrovsky.  The league is littered with goalies over $6 million that just cannot perform.

The league will not allow at this point a cup winning team with a $7 million goaltender.  I don't think GMs will be quick to keep signing them for that.  Note how Benning has effectively drafted goalies almost every year and every year we ask why.

It appears as though he knows something along those lines.  A position on the team only 62 players can hold, starting and backup; but we appear to have 3-4 potential starters in our org.

So if Marky wants money, he's an asset.  If Demko wants money, he's an asset.  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I'll just come out and say it.  No goalie who has signed a massive deal has panned out.  Rinne years ago, Quick post cups, Bobrovsky.  The league is littered with goalies over $6 million that just cannot perform.

The league will not allow at this point a cup winning team with a $7 million goaltender.  I don't think GMs will be quick to keep signing them for that.  Note how Benning has effectively drafted goalies almost every year and every year we ask why.

It appears as though he knows something along those lines.  A position on the team only 62 players can hold, starting and backup; but we appear to have 3-4 potential starters in our org.

So if Marky wants money, he's an asset.  If Demko wants money, he's an asset.  

That is exactly correct ! What you said is very true. It leads me to my OP is Marky the kinda guy that wants $$ or wants to win? How he feels about this will effectively decide his fate with vancouver 

9 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

So...………..

Miller    Pettersson       Boeser

Horvat             Virtanen

Gaudette         ???????

Edler/Myers/???????...…………...Like I say, Hughes is exempt

Demko

Or if they protect 8 total

Markstrom Demko

Pettersson Boeser Horvat

Miller Myers

Gaudette/Virtanen/Tryamkin??

The best bet is probably trading Marky. He will get snatched by Seattle and I don't really want to play him 6x per year if he keeps up this current level of play. Trade him to the east.. I hear NJ needs a goalie.

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

I’d offer 3 years,  4 max at 6 million.  See next season how him and Demko play next season,  then decide whether to trade or expose 1 of them.  So much also depends on DiPietro down in Utica.  If they think he is a stud,  keep markstrom for the shorter term,  trade Demko for assets.

i know it is a tough spot,  but however we manage this,  we have 2 pretty solid goalies,  even if we have to trade or expose 1.

24 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Or if they protect 8 total

Markstrom Demko

Pettersson Boeser Horvat

Miller Myers

Gaudette/Virtanen/Tryamkin??

The best bet is probably trading Marky. He will get snatched by Seattle and I don't really want to play him 6x per year if he keeps up this current level of play. Trade him to the east.. I hear NJ needs a goalie.

they can only protect 1 goalie

• Haha 1

Expansion Protected Lists

* Clubs will have two options for players they wish to protect in the Expansion Draft:

a) Seven forwards, three defensemen and one goaltender

b) Eight skaters (forwards/defensemen) and one goaltender

* All players who have currently effective and continuing "No Movement" clauses at the time of the Expansion Draft (and who to decline to waive such clauses) must be protected (and will be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits).

* All first- and second-year professionals, as well as all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits).

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

1 line would have sufficed, thanks.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

I didn't read every post thoroughly, obviously. But thank you for being the good samaritan and filling me in so politely.

don't get butt hurt about this

and personalize it

i do read posts fairly carefully

and it becomes annoying when posters post stuff

that has already been addressed/corrected

repeatedly

so if you choose to post in that manner

expect some blow back

1 minute ago, coastal.view said:

don't get butt hurt about this

and personalize it

i do read posts fairly carefully

and it becomes annoying when posters post stuff

that has already been addressed/corrected

repeatedly

so if you choose to post in that manner

expect some blow back

If something so harmless annoys you then I think you are taking this too seriously. Enjoy your Sunday.

Just now, I.Am.Ironman said:

If something so harmless annoys you then I think you are taking this too seriously. Enjoy your Sunday.

it's not so serious

you are the one upset

and responding in that fashion to my post

go look in a mirror

i'm just explaining to you why i posted my post

you could just have accepted that as valid and fair

but you cannot

• Wat 1

42 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

So if I'm reading you right, the Canucks can only protect one goalie?:shock::ph34r:

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

So we should probably protect both goalies, Petey twice and definitely Hughes. Maybe use the last three spots for the fourth line, they’ve been pretty good right?

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1