The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson named First Star of the Week

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

24 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

You have to include Hank in that. And probably Danny.

Him & Thornton have been the two best passers in the NHL over the last 20 years. Danny one of the best ever passing wingers!

And as special as Hank was? Petey is so far ahead at age 20. Adds his blistering shot, better D, speed & agility while matching the sublime stickwork to what Hank brought. But in terms of seeing the ice?

Yeah I thought about that after I posted /  but they were more focused on each other’s play and the cycle game - great passers both of them ... however at the same age both Mogilny and EP are miles ahead of them.  

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, BCNate said:

I fully expect that Pettersson will be the best Canuck in history when all is said and done.  Sedins were very good players throughout their careers, but only Elite for 4-5 years.  It took them 8 years in the NHL to crack 100 points.  Between injuries and the trade, Bure really only had 4-5 Elite seasons with us as well.  Ep is 20, and very well may put up the best offensive season in team history this year.  This kid should be in the conversation for being a top 5-7 player in the league as a sophmore. 

I really am trying to temper my expectations, it is just hard to do when you see him impact nearly every shift he is on the ice.  He rarely makes a bad play.

Bure never had a bad season.  When he played he killed it - including in the middle of the clutch and grab era after he left, and before that also in a much tougher era.  Individual skill wise  I don’t think we will ever see a guy like him again ever - and he’s on the tippy top of one on one guys all-time, plus an amazing finisher once he’s got to the goalie ... that said he wasn’t that good at getting back - was frequently waiting around the blue line for a pass....EP plays Center (now) and definitely takes his defensive responsibilities seriously - and completely fits the bill in the current era (less hitting, grabbing, holding, interference, roughness, size, ... no red line - Bure would have three or four breakaways a game in today’s game and multiple Richard trophies I’m sure)..

Bure was one of a kind in the same way Gretzky and Lemuiex were, and I hate to say it Lindros (best combination of size, toughness and finesss ever) and maybe Howe and a few others.   EP is also showing a uniqueness to his game that could put him in the same pantheon of amazing players.    

The Sedins only had a few seasons at a PPG.   Took them six to get where EP was his rookie year.   They had a year each where they were at or near the top in the league offensively.  And probably will end up in the HHOF - but am not sure they would if they weren’t twins and also unique in their own way.   Alfie has better stats and is still waiting on the outside looking in, as are several others.

EP is on his own path and it’s a new adventure.  Going to enjoy every minute of it. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Salacious Crumb said:

Reinhart was a very gifted offensive d as well. He didn’t have QH’s wheels, but not many ever have.

Do you remember the Allstar Game where the Sedin’s were passing into the tiny little nets? Unreal...

YES!  I was thinking of mentioning that.  They did that drill like it was passing a ball back and forth from ten feet.  Amazing show of skill - would love to see someone get that video and cut it and add it to the forum somehow.  I do think that only Thornton had the same ability while they played which says a lot because he’s one of the best all-time. 

1 hour ago, #Canucks said:

It’s crazy to think, but your absolutely right. As soon as he puts together his playmaking abilities with his shot (that has been little off compared to last year) he’s going to be a formidable force in the league. I am so glad we drafted 5th that year. I remember my disappointment when we dropped.

You know in our house we have a coined word called “Canuck Luck” - for those games we are up 4-0 and lose, or a bad call (happens all the time) or a perfect example dropping each year in the lottery since the rules changed.  This was some luck back - I doubt for a minute JB would have passed on Patrick or Hirschier if we won the lotto...

• Cheers 2

21 minutes ago, Rabbit said:

Canucks has five players in history named 1st star of the week, but no one named twice.

I predict ET-40 will be named the 2nd time this season.

Does any one agree?

EP did it last year and I’d say that more research is required.  Bure, Nalsund and a few others I’m sure are on this list - if not named player of the month. 

As far as EP goes I’m just reading the most recent THN mag and it’s all about the best 21 and unders in the world  and we have two in the top hundred.  EP comes in at 2, QH at 10...

This is what they had to say about EP “EP career began so blistering hot that he made his 5th overall draft slot look like an insult within 10 games (ten goals).  In a do over he does first.  Puckhandling sublime, shot blown away excpectations.  He was miscast as a “future number one center” , he had Art Ross MVP upside.  “

There are a lot of great young guys he’s ahead of on this list   ... including Heiskanen, Laine, both Hughes, Lafreniere, Svecknikov etc..oh and BTW Hirschier is 31st. 

Also as an aside Brock Boeser also was named first star of the week his rookie year late January...

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

What a talent this guy is.

I will have a swedish meatball in celebration!

source.gif

Edit: That's spooky, the guy above me posted the exact same image 14 minutes prior.

Great minds think alike, and fools seldom differ!

So here's a different one

giphy.gif

Edited by BrockBoester

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

You know in our house we have a coined word called “Canuck Luck” - for those games we are up 4-0 and lose, or a bad call (happens all the time) or a perfect example dropping each year in the lottery since the rules changed.  This was some luck back - I doubt for a minute JB would have passed on Patrick or Hirschier if we won the lotto...

I agree those guys were highly regarded 100%. I think Nolan would be a bust so we dodged a bullet. But Benning did say he was impressed with Pettersson and he had him higher than 5 but I think maybe third but most likely 4th overall. Another note I don’t think Benning would have drafted Nolan before 4th or 5th, Just because of Nolan’s history and Benning’s talent and experience in drafting players over the past decade or so.

What a time to be a fan...we finally have a player so good that even TSN will talk about him. I bet the Leafs would trade a B prospect and a second for him. He will be the best player in the league regularly for a long time to come I suspect. Sure glad we didn’t win the lotto. 

• Upvote 1

I'm enjoying this one over Bettman who wanted to bury us...

bettman11.jpg.514a47b8db6ea2053cd043ab16cadc70.jpg

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, 6string said:

I'm enjoying this one over Bettman who wanted to bury us...

bettman11.jpg.514a47b8db6ea2053cd043ab16cadc70.jpg

Great now I'll never fly with Air Canada again!

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, IBatch said:

Bure never had a bad season.  When he played he killed it - including in the middle of the clutch and grab era after he left, and before that also in a much tougher era.  Individual skill wise  I don’t think we will ever see a guy like him again.

Remember one game where he went back of the net, flipped the puck over top, then skated round, caught his own pass and took a shot. Didn't score but holy $hit what a move! Even Don Cherry, who was never really a Bure fan was impressed.:shock:

• Upvote 1