The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Unsung Heroes

Rate this topic

*Buzzsaw*

Yeah, the big Stars are playing well, yeah, the goalies are excellent.

But one of the best things about this team is the 3rd and 4th lines and the change in the 5/6 D pair.

As far as I'm concerned, Brandon Sutter has delivered 100% to this point on his comeback season after a serious injury.

He is driving the 3rd line, which I believe is one of the best in the league.  He is also playing lights out in the PK, and is a continued threat to score everytime he steps on ice shorthanded.

Same applies to Jay Beagle... maybe not as many goals as Schaller, but again, he is driving the line, controlling the play and making his line a threat to score.  He is also lights out in the face off circle on the PK, and his timely sticks and zone clears are one of the key reasons we have such a highly rated short handed team.

Finally there's Jordie Benn... who is the absolute opposite of flashy... but you can count the number of mistakes he has made all season on the fingers of one hand.  Its the furthest thing from fire wagon hockey, but it is effective, with solid physical play and 99% correct puck handling decisions in his own zone.

Yeah, the addition of JT Miller and Tyler Myers has been a big improvement.  (well, maybe not Myers in the Blues game  :picard:)  but the addition of Benn on the 5/6 and the fact we now have Brandon Sutter and Jay Beagle healthy and playing to their potential is a huge part of the team's success.

Edited by *Buzzsaw*
  • Like 1

Sutter is definitely the unsung hero in my books.   You could even have Demko listed here since I don’t think too many people had him pegged as being this good this soon.   His presence has taken a lot of pressure off Markstrom.    Schaller, Beagle and Motte deserve some love here as well.    This trio, when put together, is arguably the best 4th line in hockey today.    Another nominee is Jordie Benn.   He brings a work ethic, leadership, and stability that was missing from the bottom pairing in previous years.

We’ve got a really good hockey team on our hands here ladies in gentleman.   

Are they as good as the 2010-2011 team?  Or even the 2011-2012 team?  Probably not.   However - those teams, as insanely talented as they were, could be pushed around to a point where they’d start having self doubts.

Absolutely NO ONE is going to push this &^@#ing team around.    

Welcome back to the early-mid 90’s my fellow Nuck fans.   It’s been a long time coming.

Edited by Hindustan Smyl
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Yeah, the big Stars are playing well, yeah, the goalies are excellent.

But one of the best things about this team is the 3rd and 4th lines and the change in the 5/6 D pair.

As far as I'm concerned, Brandon Sutter has delivered 100% to this point on his comeback season after a serious injury.

He is driving the 3rd line, which I believe is one of the best in the league.  He is also playing lights out in the PK, and is a continued threat to score everytime he steps on ice shorthanded.

Same applies to Jay Beagle... maybe not as many goals as Schaller, but again, he is driving the line, controlling the play and making his line a threat to score.  He is also lights out in the face off circle on the PK, and his timely sticks and zone clears are one of the key reasons we have such a highly rated short handed team.

Finally there's Jordie Benn... who is the absolute opposite of flashy... but you can count the number of mistakes he has made all season on the fingers of one hand.  Its the furthest thing from fire wagon hockey, but it is effective, with solid physical play and 99% correct puck handling decisions in his own zone.

Yeah, the addition of JT Miller and Tyler Myers has been a big improvement.  (well, maybe not Myers in the Blues game  :picard:)  but the addition of Benn on the 5/6 and the fact we now have Brandon Sutter and Jay Beagle healthy and playing to their potential is a huge part of the team's success.

Do you feel the need for a new topic every game? You must have the record for most locked up topics.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

Sutter is definitely the unsung hero in my books.   You could even have Demko listed here since I don’t think too many people had him pegged as being this good this soon.   His presence has taken a lot of pressure off Markstrom.    Schaller, Beagle and Motte deserve some love here as well.    This trio, when put together, is arguably the best 4th line in hockey today.    Another nominee is Jordie Benn.   He brings a work ethic, leadership, and stability that was missing from the bottom pairing in previous years.

We’ve got a really good hockey team on our hands here ladies in gentleman.   

Are they as good as the 2010-2011 team?  Or even the 2011-2012 team?  Probably not.   However - those teams, as insanely talented as they were, could be pushed around to a point where they’d start having self doubts.

Absolutely NO ONE is going to push this &^@#ing team around.    

Welcome back to the early-mid 90’s my fellow Nuck fans.   It’s been a long time coming.

Well said, along with the work ethic of the 90's we also have the "a new hero" every night come out of the woodwork. Its hard to put a finger on one player who is making a difference and that's how it should be IMO.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Well said, along with the work ethic of the 90's we also have the "a new hero" every night come out of the woodwork. Its hard to put a finger on one player who is making a difference and that's how it should be IMO.

It’s funny.    Often times, I’m asked as to what my favorite Canuck teams of the past were.   While many assume that it’s automatically the 1994 or 2011 team, neither of those teams are (although both are up there).    My favorite teams are some of those teams from the early 90’s.  Those teams that would crush Winnipeg in the first round, but lose to LA or Edmonton in the 2nd round.   I loved those teams because those teams had heart and gave it their all each and every night.   They played on emotion, and stuck up for one another.      

As much as I loved the 94’ team, people often forget that their work ethic from previous years wasn’t quite there......and that they had monkey’d around for most of that season.   They only really got serious during that playoff run.

The WCE era was all about offense and was exciting, but that team could also be outworked and outskated (which could lead to bad penalties).   For a number of reasons, those WCE lead teams didn’t bring their A games in the playoffs.   

I’ve already explained my thoughts about the 2008-2013 Gillis era Canucks (ie the most talented group that we’ve ever had, but a mentally fragile bunch that could be lead down the path of self doubt).

FINALLY we have a team that I might just end up loving as much as those early 90’s Canucks teams.........with hopefully a better ending.   

Call me excited, but I’m expecting something big from these guys within the next 4 years.    What do they say?  Every 12 years?  Whelp - 8 years have passed.   

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Westcoasting said:

Do you feel the need for a new topic every game? You must have the record for most locked up topics.

Do you feel the need to spam on every thread by someone you don't like???

Or maybe you're too lazy to analyze the game yourself and prefer to take cheapshots from the sidelines???

Edited by *Buzzsaw*
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Toni Zamboni said:

its amazing how many people want to trade Sutter...smh.

Well, he is a UFA year after next and if he is still healthy at the TDL one would have to wonder if that luck will hold up another year.

So if the right deal comes up this year...

Would be nice to get our # 1 draft pick back. 

35 minutes ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

It’s funny.    Often times, I’m asked as to what my favorite Canuck teams of the past were.   While many assume that it’s automatically the 1994 or 2011 team, neither of those teams are (although both are up there).    My favorite teams are some of those teams from the early 90’s.  Those teams that would crush Winnipeg in the first round, but lose to LA or Edmonton in the 2nd round.   I loved those teams because those teams had heart and gave it their all each and every night.   They played on emotion, and stuck up for one another.      

As much as I loved the 94’ team, people often forget that their work ethic from previous years wasn’t quite there......and that they had monkey’d around for most of that season.   They only really got serious during that playoff run.

The WCE era was all about offense and was exciting, but that team could also be outworked and outskated (which could lead to bad penalties).   For a number of reasons, those WCE lead teams didn’t bring their A games in the playoffs.   

I’ve already explained my thoughts about the 2008-2013 Gillis era Canucks (ie the most talented group that we’ve ever had, but a mentally fragile bunch that could be lead down the path of self doubt).

FINALLY we have a team that I might just end up loving as much as those early 90’s Canucks teams.........with hopefully a better ending.   

Call me excited, but I’m expecting something big from these guys within the next 4 years.    What do they say?  Every 12 years?  Whelp - 8 years have passed.   

I think we find ourselves very similar to that era in that we had built  a "team first" mentality before adding the Stars such as Bure, Ronning and Brown type players. Get the work plummers such as Dirk, Diduck, Momesso,Sandlak and build around a leader like Linden.

I think if we can keep the core together, the better our chances are at being successful and hopefully a  better ending.

• Upvote 1

You know who's truly unsung at this point?  Josh Leivo.

Tied with Sutter with 8 points to trail the Big 6 (Lotto Line, Quinn, Captain Bo and Edler) and yet even in a thread for unsung heroes he's gotten no love.

Props to the guy who some (myself included) had him slotted either 3rd/ 4th line or even packaged off to retain some of the more talented depth.

Now he's teamed with Sutter to form a productive 3rd line duo.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Phil_314 said:

Tied with Sutter with 8 points to trail the Big 6 (Lotto Line, Quinn, Captain Bo and Edler) and yet even in a thread for unsung heroes he's gotten no love.

Props to the guy who some (myself included) had him slotted either 3rd/ 4th line or even packaged off to retain some of the more talented depth.

I think Jake is unsung.  The guy seems to ignite any line that he's on.  He's great defensively, and drives play offensively on the line he's on.  He gets a load of criticism, when really he's be a good player for us.  

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

I would strongly consider Leivo there If it wasn’t for the fact that he failed to convert such a high number of scoring opportunities earlier this season.