Canucks Community

NHL players vote 3 worst road cities

Rate this topic

Alflives

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Winnipeg

Buffalo

Edmonton

Players selected these as the three worst cities for road games.  Then when asked about signing in a city, players chose the KHL ahead of Winnipeg.  Is Winnipeg that bad?  

https://globalnews.ca/news/6128674/its-just-dirty-winnipeg-named-as-nhl-players-most-dreaded-city-to-visit/

Some of the comments from the players just scream entitlement.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

None of that is really surprising, (but I wonder what makes Raleigh so much better :unsure:) but I can pretty much guarantee that Vegas and New York would be the "best" cities to visit.

Ever been? North Carolina is pretty nice actually. Edmonton, Winnipeg (in winter) and Buffalo are absolute $&!# holes. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

Ever been? North Carolina is pretty nice actually. Edmonton, Winnipeg (in winter) and Buffalo are absolute $&!# holes. 

It's weird that as a country Canada is perceived as a better play to live than the US but when you look at actually living - cities, wages, weather, cost of living every Canadian city is pretty awful. I've got to do extensive travel throughout the US and the cities are so much more liveable and many are quite charming in terms of architecture/layout. My American colleagues also seem significantly happier - the Canadians are all miserable because our wages our lower, cost of living is higher, and the weather sucks everywhere. Any advice on getting a green card?

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

It's weird that as a country Canada is perceived as a better play to live than the US but when you look at actually living - cities, wages, weather, cost of living every Canadian city is pretty awful. I've got to do extensive travel throughout the US and the cities are so much more liveable and many are quite charming in terms of architecture/layout. My American colleagues also seem significantly happier - the Canadians are all miserable because our wages our lower, cost of living is higher, and the weather sucks everywhere. Any advice on getting a green card?

When you look at actually LIVING, it's certainly handy to be somewhere with Universal Health Care and gun control.

About 2/3 of US bankruptcies are largely due to medical costs, and a lot of those people had health insurance (it just didn't cover what they had, or enough of it) - LINK. Of all my friends, only one has a parent who was shot and killed...guess where he lived?

When you account for all metrics (including economy, crime, environment, infrastructure, civil stability, etc.), Canadian cities are usually ranked far above American ones for livability. For instance - https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/worlds-most-livable-cities-2019-trnd/index.html. Three Canadian cities in the top 10, the highest-rated US city is Honolulu at 22nd.

Edited by D-Money
  • Cheers 1

I am having a tough time deciding between getting frostbite and my kids getting shot at in school.  I'll just buy them bulletproof vests.

33 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Some of the comments from the players just scream entitlement.

Remember when the Grizzlies were here? "Man I can't get any soulfood here."  Or the dude that says he couldn't get Captain Crunch when in fact that cereal was available at every grocery store.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, D-Money said:

When you look at actually LIVING, it's certainly handy to be somewhere with Universal Health Care and gun control.

About 2/3 of US bankruptcies are largely due to medical costs, and a lot of those people had health insurance (it just didn't cover what they had, or enough of it) - LINK. Of all my friends, only one has a parent who was shot and killed...guess where he lived?

When you account for all metrics (including economy, crime, environment, infrastructure, civil stability, etc.), Canadian cities are usually ranked far above American ones for livability. For instance - https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/worlds-most-livable-cities-2019-trnd/index.html. Three Canadian cities in the top 10, the highest-rated US city is Honolulu at 22nd.

I guess in my case since I've never had a serious medical injury and don't know anyone personally who has gotten shot. Employer pays medical insurance.

But outside of that, the $321 per month average on medical insurance is a drop in the bucket compared to the $300,000 downpayment and $5,700 per month mortgage on the average east van home at a much lower salary for the same work

7 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

I guess in my case since I've never had a serious medical injury and don't know anyone personally who has gotten shot. Employer pays medical insurance.

But outside of that, the $321 per month average on medical insurance is a drop in the bucket compared to the $300,000 downpayment and $5,700 per month mortgage on the average east van home at a much lower salary for the same work

That's more of a "Vancouver" problem than a "Canada" one. That's one of the reasons why many of us left Vancouver, and likely part of the reason why Calgary was rated above Vancouver and Toronto on the livability scale I quoted earlier.

• Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

you might want to look up the cost of health insurance and private school first. 

1 hour ago, YEGCanuck said:

Gee, for those of us who happen to live in E-town your description is a tad tough to take. Having grown up in Vancouver and visited most of the cities pro-hockey is played in I can testify to the fact there are aspects of each that may discourage any visitor from returning. The good people who live and work in those same cities, regardless of their circumstances, do so with a level of pride that is no less valued than those of some better known destinations.

but if we're bering honest, Edmonton is pretty much a big Saskatoon. Which is fine, but to say it has the same level of things to do as say TO, Montreal or Vancouver isn't really true. Doesn't make it a bad place, it may even make it more attractive for many.