The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Comparing the Best Team to Today

Rate this topic

Ballisticsports.

Not fair to pretend these guys are a Presidents Cup team , as they haven't proven it like our Best Teams ever did, but I see some similarities

I just found it interesting to see how our lineup today compares to that one (granted the game and style needed to win has changed since then too)

Daniel                       Hank                       Samuelsson

Raymond                      Kesler                        Burrows

Schaefer /Torres                     Lapierre                     Glass

Tambellini/ Higgins/ Hansen                    Bolduc                     Desbiens/ Oreskovich 

Salo                         Bieska

Hamhuis/ Edler                         Ehroff

Rome                       Tanev/ Albert

Luongo

Schneider

Coach  AV

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Miller                             EP                           Boeser

Pearson                          Bo                            Motte/ Gaudette

Leivo/ Roussel                        Sutter                        Virtanen

Schaller/ Ferland                       Beagle                       Eriksson

Edler                          Myers

Hughes                       Tanev

Fatenberg/ Benn                          Stecher

Markstrom

Demko

Coach  Green

Edited by ba;;isticsports
added coaches

Danny, Hank, Kes, and Lou were the core of that team.  Who from that D was the core piece?  I see us having Danny, Hank, Kes, and Lou covered with the current young core guys, plus we have Hughes, which that 2011 team didn't.   Maybe this team is actually better, but plays in a tougher division that that old 2011 one?

Daniel                         Hank                       Burrows

Raymond                      Kesler                      Samuelsson

Torres                       Malholtra                   Hansen

Higgins                   Lapierre                    Tambellni

Hamhuis                         Bieska

Edler                         Ehroff

Salo                          Tanev/ Alberts/ Ballard

Luongo

Schneider

Coach  AV

This year we have a much better bottom 6 than that team. Top 6 is almost there, but hard to give them an edge when you tak 40 goal Kes into account.

2011 defense much deeper but our defense this year is solid.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Danny, Hank, Kes, and Lou were the core of that team.  Who from that D was the core piece?  I see us having Danny, Hank, Kes, and Lou covered with the current young core guys, plus we have Hughes, which that 2011 team didn't.   Maybe this team is actually better, but plays in a tougher division that that old 2011 one?

Edler/Bieksa/Hamhuis imo.

Iirc

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Raymond-Kessler-Samuelsson

Torres-Malhotra-Hansen

Higgins-Lapierre-Oreskovich/Glass

Tambellini

Bolduc

Edler-Ehrhoff/Salo

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Ballard/Alberts-Salo/Ehrhoff(only playing here if Alberts was on the L)

Tanev 

Luongo

Schneider

Our D was so deep. Imagine if Ballard played like he did before getting to Van... 

27 minutes ago, Yung1 said:

Daniel                         Hank                       Burrows

Raymond                      Kesler                      Samuelsson

Torres                       Malholtra                   Hansen

Higgins                   Lapierre                    Tambellni

Hamhuis                         Bieska

Edler                         Ehroff

Salo                          Tanev/ Alberts/ Ballard

Luongo

Schneider

Coach  AV

This year we have a much better bottom 6 than that team. Top 6 is almost there, but hard to give them an edge when you tak 40 goal Kes into account.

2011 defense much deeper but our defense this year is solid.

I read your post and I crave an ice cream cone.  

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Yung1 said:

I would. were they replaced when they left?

They were old when they left, and easily replaced.  Core to me are players who are not replaceable, because they are not so easy to get.  Right now we have Petey, Bo, Bess, Hughes.  The rest of our guys, although good players, can be replaced.  From that 2011 team the Twins, Kess, and Loui were great and not replaceable.  Edler I think was not really a guy who was replaceable too.  As for Bieksa and Hamhuis, there were a lot of D men in the league at that time we could have replaced those two with.  

Edited by Alflives
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

They were old when they left, and easily replaced.  Core to me are players who are not replaceable, because they are not so easy to get.  Right now we have Petey, Bo, Bess, Hughes.  The rest of our guys, although good players, can be replaced.  From that 2011 team the Twins, Kess, and Loui were great and not replaceable.  Edler I think was not really a guy who was replaceable too.  As for Bieksa and Hamhuis, there were a lot of D men in the league at that time we could have replaced those two with.  

True that they were old by the time they left, but I'd argue their declined coincided with the decline of our team. 

Bieksa with a 40 point shut down defenseman with snarl. Extremely hard to find. Hamhuis was one of the best defensive defensmen in the league. We had the lowest GAA in the league with them as our shut down pairing. They were huge.

I would argue we still haven't replaced them, and that they were far superior to our current shut down pairing of Myers and Edler, who are the best performing shut down pairing we've had since 2012.

While they didn’t accomplish much, I still prefer the 2003 team as the most fun to watch.

Naslund - Morrison - Bertuzzi

D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Klatt/Linden

Cooke - Chubarov - Linden/Letowski

Ruutu - Lindgren/Linden - Langdon/Linden

Ohlund - Malik

Jovanovski - Sopel

Salo - Baron

Allen

• Cheers 3