The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jordan Binnington believes he deserved the Calder over Elias Pettersson

Rate this topic

Eli4sPetterss0n

13 hours ago, cuporbust said:

Because he said "ya" ? 

Holy crap, let's relax here . I'm having fun with it,  but this is non news . 

News flash , a player believes in himself. Wow . 

Exactly, all I see is a kid who believes in himself and showing confidence.  If the roles were reversed CDC would be screaming conspiracy theory again about how the league plotted against the Canucks.  

I know, Stanley Cup doesn't count in the voting, but you can't blame the kid, in his mind he took a bottom place team and brought them all the way back to a Stanley Cup with incredible numbers.  It's hard for him to separate his year in half and say ok this counted and this didn't count.  All he remember is his incredible year in whole.

EDIT: BTW title is misleading.  Binnington never says he deserves it over Petterson, just that he deserved to win.  I know it's kind of implied, but that's not what he was asked.

Edited by timberz21
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

Exactly, all I see is a kid who believes in himself and showing confidence.  If the roles were reversed CDC would be screaming conspiracy theory again about how the league plotted against the Canucks.  

I know, Stanley Cup doesn't count in the voting, but you can't blame the kid, in his mind he took a bottom place team and brought them all the way back to a Stanley Cup with incredible numbers.  It's hard for him to separate his year in half and say ok this counted and this didn't count.  All he remember is his incredible year in whole.

EDIT: BTW title is misleading.  Binnington never says he deserves it over Petterson, just that he deserved to win.  I know it's kind of implied, but that's not what he was asked.

He's 26....I don't know that he's "a kid".  

• Upvote 3

I wouldn't have thought it ridiculous if Binnington had won the Calder.  People might not remember that Connor McDavid came quite close to winning it with 45 games played as a skater.  And he was 30 points behind the actual winner.  It's not like he was 2 points per game or anything.

And that winner had 11 more points than Petterson did in his rookie year.

Edited by Kevin Biestra

15 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

Don't blame us...

image.png

• Upvote 1

I'm also in the camp that didn't read Binnington's comments as saying that he deserved the Calder over Pettersson.  I would expect that any high performing, competitive athlete would understandably be disappointed at losing out on a trophy that, for all intents and purposes, there was a reasonable opportunity to win.  Binnington would have been a worthy winner of the Calder if the votes had gone his way in which case we may be having the other discussion from Pettersson's side.  As a Canucks fan, I'm of course biased toward Pettersson and it was nice to see that the people who voted for the Calder felt the same way about his rookie season.

I don't think he's really putting down Pettersson, but for a player to win the ultimate team award in his rookie season and complain about not winning an individual award speaks a lot to his character. Especially when he didn't even play half the season and the voting wasn't even remotely close, just makes Binnington seem so entitled and whiny lol

• Upvote 2

So a reporter asks him if he thinks he deserved it and he says "yeah" and people are now mad that he felt he played well enough to deserve it? :lol:

So when a reporter asks him that question he's supposed to say "no"..... No I don't feel I played good enough to deserve to win the Calder, lol what? Canucks fans you take things WAY TO SERIOUS.

• Upvote 2

On 11/8/2019 at 12:19 AM, Drakrami said:

Can't blame him.. The guy literally did it perfectly.. carried the team to make the playoffs, and won the Stanley Cup. 

I think he is really competitive and wants to win everything. Although, it probably comes off a little salty in certain situations. Like a reporter asked him once "Being a rookie, having never been in that situation before, were you nervous?" and he replied "Did I look nervous?" the reporter replied "Not really" and Binni replied "There's your answer". 

I think though that he is one talented goalie at this point. (I watched the finals last year as it was nice to get a chance to see the Bruins lose)

He was a huge factor in Game 7 of the finals last year when it matter most. Boston's coach said the only shots he cares about are in the slot. This created a lot of high quality chances for Boston and made them hard to shut down. But still Binni shut them out until the last 2 minutes of Game 7. Because Luongo changed his style of play and was deeper in his net starting the 2011 season combined with literally every D man being injured, he got lit up like crazy against Boston cause they created high quality chances in the slot. Because of this reason, he probably would have allowed at least 8 goals or maybe even more in that game (2019 finals). Binni on the other hand played amazing and many times where I thought it was a sure goal, he made the save.  St.Louis also went 16 mins without a shot to start the game. 

image.thumb.png.21317fe59895285151bfe0a7a942e620.png

Also look at how many shots they had with 17mins left in the game

image.thumb.png.dad032fd4002b0be65ddfce5b01c3f1e.png

That's right, the Blues only had 10 shots in 43 mins of play. Binni literally stole the game. With the quality of chances Boston was getting could have easily been 8 or 10 goals that day if some other goalie was in net. 

As arrogant as he is, he's pretty damn good at this point of his career

Edited by Guest

19 hours ago, Cap'N Bo said:

I don't think he's really putting down Pettersson, but for a player to win the ultimate team award in his rookie season and complain about not winning an individual award speaks a lot to his character. Especially when he didn't even play half the season and the voting wasn't even remotely close, just makes Binnington seem so entitled and whiny lol

I say give the guy a break.  He did win the ultimate team award but you could also make an argument that he got robbed of two individual awards, the Calder and the Conn Smythe.  And truth be told, you can make a somewhat tenuous case for both the Vezina and the Hart as well.

It's a little early to say he's entitled.  The guy has worked his way up to the NHL by riding buses for years, then he lights up the NHL and walks away with no individual awards.  If he were entitled, he probably wouldn't have sat on the buses year after year until people are saying he's so old he shouldn't be considered a rookie.  He has the exact opposite career trajectory of a guy like Alexandre Daigle.

Edited by Kevin Biestra

On 11/7/2019 at 3:40 PM, Eli4sPetterss0n said:
Binnington believes he deserved Calder: There's a 'bad taste in my mouth'
6h ago
Joe Puetz / National Hockey League / Getty
ST. LOUIS, MO - APRIL 6: Jordan Binnington #50 of the St. Louis Blues blocks a shoot out shot from Elias Pettersson #40 of the Vancouver Canucks at Enterprise Center on April 6, 2019 in St. Louis, Missouri.

Jordan Binnington may have helped the St. Louis Blues take home the Stanley Cup last season, but he believes he should have taken home the Calder Trophy too.

"There's a little bit of that bad taste in my mouth about the outcome last year," Binnington said after beating the Vancouver Canucks Tuesday, according to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch's Jim Thomas. "But he's (Elias Pettersson) a talented player, so it's good going up against some of the best."

Binnington finished second in voting for the Rookie of the Year award, losing out to Pettersson. The Blues goalie earned 18 first-place votes to the Canucks star's 151.

"Yeah," Binnington added when asked if he thinks he deserved to win the honor. "(But) they’ve got a good young team and some elite talent. He’s one of those guys, so it’s a lot of fun."

The two players aren't showing signs of slowing down in their sophomore seasons. Binnington sports an 8-2-3 record paired with a .921 save percentage and 2.43 GAA. Pettersson has six goals and 20 points in 15 games.

image.thumb.png.b8622394b20901658f0b1adc872be92a.png

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1873828/binnington-believes-he-deserved-calder-theres-a-bad-taste-in-my-mouth

---------

Not to try to cause drama, but what a sore loser. Esp Considering the votes weren't even close if I remember correctly.

(Mods, If this is the wrong forum to post in please move)

Well Jorden you never got it and never will.