Canucks Community

Jordan Binnington believes he deserved the Calder over Elias Pettersson

Rate this topic

Eli4sPetterss0n

On 11/7/2019 at 3:40 PM, Eli4sPetterss0n said:
Binnington believes he deserved Calder: There's a 'bad taste in my mouth'
6h ago
Joe Puetz / National Hockey League / Getty
ST. LOUIS, MO - APRIL 6: Jordan Binnington #50 of the St. Louis Blues blocks a shoot out shot from Elias Pettersson #40 of the Vancouver Canucks at Enterprise Center on April 6, 2019 in St. Louis, Missouri.

Jordan Binnington may have helped the St. Louis Blues take home the Stanley Cup last season, but he believes he should have taken home the Calder Trophy too.

"There's a little bit of that bad taste in my mouth about the outcome last year," Binnington said after beating the Vancouver Canucks Tuesday, according to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch's Jim Thomas. "But he's (Elias Pettersson) a talented player, so it's good going up against some of the best."

Binnington finished second in voting for the Rookie of the Year award, losing out to Pettersson. The Blues goalie earned 18 first-place votes to the Canucks star's 151.

"Yeah," Binnington added when asked if he thinks he deserved to win the honor. "(But) they’ve got a good young team and some elite talent. He’s one of those guys, so it’s a lot of fun."

The two players aren't showing signs of slowing down in their sophomore seasons. Binnington sports an 8-2-3 record paired with a .921 save percentage and 2.43 GAA. Pettersson has six goals and 20 points in 15 games.

image.thumb.png.b8622394b20901658f0b1adc872be92a.png

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1873828/binnington-believes-he-deserved-calder-theres-a-bad-taste-in-my-mouth

---------

Not to try to cause drama, but what a sore loser. Esp Considering the votes weren't even close if I remember correctly.

(Mods, If this is the wrong forum to post in please move)

Who is Jordan Beenaton ?

32 minutes ago, jptony604 said:

As a competitor you would think he has every right to feel that way... it’s not like he’s talking out of his a$ $. He’s got a serious case for it cuz we probably couldn’t have said much if he did actually win it over Petey. 

151-18

He was no where near winning this thing

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I'd like to see that vote, if voting was allowed after the Stanley Cup not just prior to the playoffs, something tells me those numbers would be a lot different then.

Absolutely, as would they had JB played 20 or more games than he did.. That being said unfortunately it/he wasn’t/didn’t. 

I also believe that if you asked Petey if he would trade trophies (cup for Calder) with Binnington, he says yes without a second thought. 

Edited by Ronaldoescobar
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 11/9/2019 at 12:22 AM, wai_lai416 said:

calder trophy should be limited to kids 23 and below or on ELC.. these 25/26 "rookies" are not exactly rookies.. they just ain't good enough to be in the league and got lucky

I agree. Lower the number. 

Edited by MikeyD

11 hours ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

Absolutely, as would they had JB played 20 or more games than he did.. That being said unfortunately it/he wasn’t/didn’t. 

I also believe that if you asked Petey if he would trade trophies (cup for Calder) with Binnington, he says yes without a second thought. 

Yeah luckily JB wasn't allowed the votes after :lol:

Trade or win :bigblush:

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

if I failed Grade 5.... five times in a row... are my blue ribbons, in gym, any less authentic?

• Cheers 1

On 11/7/2019 at 3:50 PM, apollo said:

Jordan needs to be put in his place.

The only explanation is that he's a delusional psychopath. A 25 year old who played 32 regular season games thinks he deserves the calder?!

The disgrace in the first place was the NHL even letting him be a finalist... the guy had 32 games and is 5 years older than everyone he was competing with.

That's like me in 12th grade, going to the local elementary school and fighting 7th grades for their lunch money. Hey I'm 5 years older but let me take your lunch money

haa, the difference is that when you are robbing elemantry school kids, you were being a bully. Where as Binner was just answering a question posed by some media scumbag.

the other difference is that you probably needed the money and Binner doesn't, so its not really the same at all.

I hope you had enough lunch today.

Well I was thinking he would and should win considering he won the cup. Then I realized that the Calder is awarded for the best rookie in the NHL REGULAR SEASON. So no Elias beats him out in that regard. 

Besides, I'd like to see what Petterson can do at the age of 24. I mean, I bet he'd be a better asset by then that Binnington would have been.