The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Pavel Bure explains who's faster between him and Connor McDavid

Rate this topic

Who do you think is faster at their top speed?   

71 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Simply put, Bure then was what McDavid is to the NHL now. His velocity, acceleration whilst changing direction was unparalleled the same way McDavid is now. With technological advancements leading to better equipments and efficient training, players have gotten faster in general and that's why we have to compare Bure to his peers. Bure was as special as McDavid is now.

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

That is one of the best things I've ever read on here....I love this in every way!   Kids are the best.  I'm going to chuckle over this post for the entire day....what a beauty.

My son and Pavel.  Was a huge thrill for him....Bure gave every kid a reason to dream big.

image.png

This picture would have blew my sons head off, if it was him. That is so fantastic your son had a chance like that. And thanks for those comments Deb, It really was an incredible moment. Roger my assistant coaches, was good for another hour of entertainment. My son did score a goal that game and Danny Erhman ended up playing for the Calgary Hitmen for 4 years, Pavel Bure, well, he was ok..... :canucks:

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Unknown1995 said:

I could watch that all day.   McDavid definitely is the only other player that could do things at speed like Bure could, but so far he hasn’t shown the same nack for beating goalies one on one that Bure did...without the red line and obstruction, I have no doubt that Bure would be winning multiple Richard trophies today .... both are incredible once in a lifetime talents...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

A couple things about the fastest lap at the all-star game.  It used to be started back a little, and then altered it which was stupid as you don’t have to go quite as far.  Gartners time still holds up as the fastest before they changed it - a sub 14 second lap that isn’t far off McDavids records (Larkin is the only other guy to beat it).   When Bure did his lap he lost  an edge  (all-star game) around the corner but still got close to a 14.00 second lap - another time I watched him it was like he wasn’t really trying and got the same time.   This guy trained with a parachute (who does that).    Messier could also skate very fast circles, but it’s not an in game situation (he did it blue line to blue line like he was still in EDM but we didn’t have the talent to get him the puck ha ha - and he was 36-38). 

Guys are faster now in general - but the league was full of speedsters in the 90’s too.  Federov was an amazing skater, same with Mogilny, Selanne, Kariya,  Coffey (the only player I’ve ever seen acceralate while gliding) Gartners, Yzerman - and a lot these guys played in the 80’s too.

Maybe Bure looked ridiculously fast because guys weren’t as quick...but he still reigns supreme when it comes to having the puck on his stick and going in 1 on 1 or 1 on 5 even.   That first game in WNP was a revelation / watching that game blew minds back then.   It still holds up today. 

Thanks for sharing. Thats some good stuff.

Not gonna crown Bure as my god since he did leave the team... I still respect him a lot and think with new skate technology in his prime, he could definitely go as fast as connor does if not faster.

He's being humble though

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Classless thug that I am, I would've spat on Marchment as I skated past his prone body and said, "подонок из куриного дерьма"

yep, perhaps the slimiest player of his generation.  Didn't help that he spent so much time in the West.

If only this happened sooner, and kept him out of the league.

Now, I just spent 30 mins on Youtube looking at other slimy things he did, or the payback resulting from it.  Fun times!

• Haha 2

On 11/7/2019 at 5:19 PM, -AJ- said:

Different eras and technology. McDavid is probably faster, but if they were compared relative to their competition, I wouldn't be surprised if Bure was faster. 

Bure *HAD* to be a little faster because it was the era of pukes like Brad Marchment.  Fitting how a guy (Marchment) who like to go for a guys knees, had his career end pretty much as a result of trying to throw one of his cheapshot hits.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Bure *HAD* to be a little faster because it was the era of pukes like Brad Marchment.  Fitting how a guy (Marchment) who like to go for a guys knees, had is career end pretty much as a result of trying to throw one of his cheapshot hits.

Ulf Salmuelsson also used to go for guys knees (shortened Neely career)...Called Domi a dummy and he didn’t like it too much, pay backs a beeatch.   

• Cheers 2

On 11/7/2019 at 5:00 PM, Unknown1995 said:

Listen to the crowd.

saw that on TV. I was in grade 12. 

that was among my best memories.

Only Sid and McJesus have done that to a crowd since in their first game since, unless Captain Underpants’ 4 snipes count, but they weren’t the same kind of exciting. 

People love EP, but Pavel was so much more loved at the time by a hungry franchise. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, khay said:

Simply put, Bure then was what McDavid is to the NHL now. His velocity, acceleration whilst changing direction was unparalleled the same way McDavid is now. With technological advancements leading to better equipments and efficient training, players have gotten faster in general and that's why we have to compare Bure to his peers. Bure was as special as McDavid is now.

High end speed, Bure might have been able to match McDavid with todays training and skate technology. But in terms of lateral movement and stop/go, I'll have to give it to McDavid. As good as Pavel was, McDavid is just in a complete plane of existence when it comes to agility. Connor can stop on a dime and get to full speed in 2 strides, stop, then do it again. I don't think Ive seen anybody in all the years ive been watching the nhl move like him. His change of direction is godly in comparison to other players in todays game

3 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Listen to the crowd.

saw that on TV. I was in grade 12. 

that was among my best memories.

Only Sid and McJesus have done that to a crowd since in their first game since, unless Captain Underpants’ 4 snipes count, but they weren’t the same kind of exciting. 

People love EP, but Pavel was so much more loved at the time by a hungry franchise. 

The game or highlights?

8 hours ago, Kragar said:

yep, perhaps the slimiest player of his generation.  Didn't help that he spent so much time in the West.

If only this happened sooner, and kept him out of the league.

Now, I just spent 30 mins on Youtube looking at other slimy things he did, or the payback resulting from it.  Fun times!

Good riddance,  I dont feel sorry for any injury that Marchement got. The guy just played to hurt players, doesn't deserve any pity whatsoever

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Not sure if anyone's mentioned this....but I'm sure the hockey skates of 25 years ago aren't the same as they are today.  Wonder how that impacts things?  

This is kind of an irrelevant but something I was blown away by. But did you know that you or I can’t buy nhl level skates off of factories? 

A guy I played jrs with about 17 years ago tried getting me the same level of skates about 10 years ago that Crosby was wearing(RBK/Ribcore are good for flat footed people).  He gave them my name and they wouldn’t sell them to me or him(even though he was playing in the AHL at the time). They wouldn’t even sell them for 4 grand, even though they were stickered at 2. 

So the only thing I can conclude from that experience is that nhl-grade skates must genuinely help guys skate better/faster. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

The game or highlights?

Lol well duh, the game wasn’t televised and I was in Kamloops. 

I watched every game after that, I’m guessing like many of us did, because he was that incredible to watch. Sadly, I never watched a single game of his live. 

EP alone doesn’t make me watch games. 

Only 99, 66 and Bure did that until 87 came along. 

39 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Lol well duh, the game wasn’t televised and I was in Kamloops. 

I watched every game after that, I’m guessing like many of us did, because he was that incredible to watch. Sadly, I never watched a single game of his live. 

EP alone doesn’t make me watch games. 

Only 99, 66 and Bure did that until 87 came along. 

The whole time of about 2 weeks previous was mad with sports reporting on Bure... coming to L.A. , coming to Vancouver, interviews with Quinn and/or Burke it was insane to the point i was sick of hearing about this "wannabe phenom".  I listened to the last two periods on the radio and couldn't believe how they were describing  him! Got home and turned on Sportspage and was amazed like everyone else. More scoring chances in his first game than the team had all the previous month lol.

The next night on BCTV news sports, the long time anchor Bernie Pascall was saying "everyone calm down, despite having the speed he needs to learn how to put the puck in the net" lmao, the next weekend on Coach's Corner  Mclean was saying wow how about Bure and Grapes kinda down played it... Mclean says " yes but he sure can skate" to which Cherry replied " yeah but so can Peggy Fleming" hahaha    Good times :)

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1