The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Virtanen Playing A Lot Better

Rate this topic

Dazzle

Finally has some confidence and is getting his man strength. Green needs to give him some more ice time. 

He should be on the point on the 2nd pp unit. He has a heavy shot and can catch up to anyone to prevent a breakaway. 

Also should be playing 3 on 3. 

Wouldn’t mind seeing him on the pk as well. Would get a lot of breakaways and opposing d men will have to be weary of that when he’s on the ice.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Almost 1/4 of the season in and Virtanen has had significantly more good games than bad. He's hit the post a few times and his teammates haven't been able to convert on his set-ups, so he could have had a few more points. Definitely much better at puck retrieval, stripping the puck away from opponents, and playing hard to protect the puck when he has it. Very consistent night-in/night-out in those three aspects. I wish he was a bit more physical, but I can't be too picky. 

18 minutes ago, Elias_Pettersson said:

Finally has some confidence and is getting his man strength. Green needs to give him some more ice time. 

He should be on the point on the 2nd pp unit. He has a heavy shot and can catch up to anyone to prevent a breakaway. 

Also should be playing 3 on 3. 

Wouldn’t mind seeing him on the pk as well. Would get a lot of breakaways and opposing d men will have to be weary of that when he’s on the ice.

He should definitely be out there in overtime and play the PK.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Blömqvist said:

Almost 1/4 of the season in and Virtanen has had significantly more good games than bad. He's hit the post a few times and his teammates haven't been able to convert on his set-ups, so he could have had a few more points. Definitely much better at puck retrieval, stripping the puck away from opponents, and playing hard to protect the puck when he has it. Very consistent night-in/night-out in those three aspects. I wish he was a bit more physical, but I can't be too picky. 

He should definitely be out there in overtime and play the PK.

Disagree

I bet he’d be terrible getting the puck back or defending in all that open space.

He does well on takeaways 5-5, but I can’t see his game translating at 3-3. 

Would love to see him out there before any of the project players TG keeps sending out there. I’d rather he get the shot and the fun. BC would agree. 

The way he approaches the game is more suited for the 80's, I'll get in shape through preseason and the first twenty games.

His value to the club may be fading.The Canucks can climb the standings without his presence in the lineup while his value as a sixth overall has declined in the market.

Only Jake controls his future, I'm not bashing him but he needs to better, more consistent and invested.

I am hoping for his first twenty plus goal scoring season, still early!

• Upvote 1