The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Curling - Don't Judge

-DLC-

Growing up, my parents LOVED curling.  We had trophies on the mantel from their bonspiels and I pretty much grew up at the Richmond Curling Club on Cambie Road...their hamburgers rocked.

But I HATED the sound of curling.  The yelling, both in the foreground and background, sounded like a torture chamber.   My Mom would have it on and I'd have to leave the house because it was so irritating...UGH.  I didn't get it.  Also...who the hell wants to "play" a game that involves sweeping like a maniac as someone yells to sweep even harder?  Was this invented by a controlling husband?  Throw rocks and sweep?  Sure, sign me up.

But, over the past few years and mostly due to desperation in the wee hours (I had anxiety and couldn't sleep), I started watching it and now find that I really like it.  It's very strategic and I've gotten to recognize the players/teams and that makes it more exciting...to have favourites that I cheer for.

This is prompted by the fact that yet another sleepless night had me watching the grand slam last night in the middle of the night (it's being replayed now).

Anyone else watch curling?  Have favourites?

I think the Olympics really solidified the fact that, dare I say, I now really like curling.   Lawes/Morris were outstanding....but my favourite is Rachel Homan (and her double fisting beer drinking husband - go Canada!).

I do think that, in this day and age,  they could improve the game by NOT yelling...maybe create little buzzer-notification type devices to sweep...one pulse for weight and a different for line?  Something.  They could still communicate...but the constant screaming is cringe worthy at times.  Dragon's Den here I come...

50 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Growing up, my parents LOVED curling.  We had trophies on the mantel from their bonspiels and I pretty much grew up at the Richmond Curling Club on Cambie Road...their hamburgers rocked.

But I HATED the sound of curling.  The yelling, both in the foreground and background, sounded like a torture chamber.   My Mom would have it on and I'd have to leave the house because it was so irritating...UGH.  I didn't get it.  Also...who the hell wants to "play" a game that involves sweeping like a maniac as someone yells to sweep even harder?  Was this invented by a controlling husband?  Throw rocks and sweep?  Sure, sign me up.

But, over the past few years and mostly due to desperation in the wee hours (I had anxiety and couldn't sleep), I started watching it and now find that I really like it.  It's very strategic and I've gotten to recognize the players/teams and that makes it more exciting...to have favourites that I cheer for.

This is prompted by the fact that yet another sleepless night had me watching the grand slam last night in the middle of the night (it's being replayed now).

I think the Olympics really solidified the fact that, dare I say, I now really like curling.   Lawes/Morris were outstanding....but my favourite is Rachel Homan (and her double fisting beer drinking husband - go Canada!).

I do think that, in this day and age,  they could improve the game by NOT yelling...maybe create little buzzer-notification type devices to sweep...one pulse for weight and a different for line?  Something.  They could still communicate...but the constant screaming is cringe worthy at times.  Dragon's Den here I come...

Heh, I couldn't help reading that last part and think, the device will be marketed to curlers but the real boom market will be 21st century controlling husbands :lol:

Both my boys (5 and 7) are in curling now and they both really like it, so looks like our winters will be spent at the Langley Curling rink...sadly they don't sell burgers.  After hockey and baseball, curling is a sport that I enjoy watching (tennis too).

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

Nah... that's like telling hockey players to communicate less.  I think the more annoying sport is tennis, where some players grunt loudly for no real reason.

Go out and try curling for yourself if you have spare time.  The sweeping is a bit of hard work but otherwise pretty chill.  People dont yell like maniacs either.  That kinda only happens at the top level or in important matches.  Anyone who screams in a casual game is just a jerk.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Nah... that's like telling hockey players to communicate less.  I think the more annoying sport is tennis, where some players grunt loudly for no real reason.

Go out and try curling for yourself if you have spare time.  The sweeping is a bit of hard work but otherwise pretty chill.  People dont yell like maniacs either.  That kinda only happens at the top level or in important matches.  Anyone who screams in a casual game is just a jerk.

I've really been considering it (giving it a go)

Haha, maybe my perception of "yelling like maniacs" was last night, in the wee hours when I was finally drifting off to sleep, THEN AWAKENED BY A ROWDY END.  I'm watching right now as a matter of fact...pretty tame.  But yes, I guess it is really part of it and wouldn't be the same if it was quiet.  Plus...they cowbell so I should really support that end of things!

3 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Because of my ASMR (autonomous sensory meridian response for those who don’t know, look it up, you might have it too) watching curling on tv has always been one of favourite goto’s when I need to relax. I came into the habit of watching at the very end of the corn broom age. As a young kid I was drawn to the sound of the sweeping and, in those days, the echoey sounds emanating from the half empty buildings including, if the the ice surface was miked properly, that etchy scratchy rumbling of the rock as it slid down the ice.

(I also love to watch/listen to cooking shows as long as the background guitar noodling isn’t to obtrusive and of course, the ASMR god, Bob Ross.)

As to the great game of curling, the loud vocalizations from the participants are often very helpful when trying to understand strategy on any given shot but at times it reaches the decimal and annoyance level of some tennis matches that I’ve suffered through.

Nothing beats curling at the international level though. My favourites are those wearing a maple leaf, doesn’t matter who as long as they represent well.
My bias does lie in watching the women’s game however. Something more subtle about it and it’s a bit slower in my mind, not lacking in speed and power, but more deliberate and controlled. And then add in the element of sex appeal and I’m hooked.

Edited by zimmy
  • Like 1

Thank you for your input, I really enjoyed reading that. 

My parents used the corn brooms...that seemed like it had to be mastered and likely looked easier than it was.

Ha, funny....was just at the mall this morning (starting a bit of Christmas shopping) ... they had a Bob Ross section at the Showcase store.  My daughter LOVES him so will be returning to purchase something for her. 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Haha, maybe my perception of "yelling like maniacs" was last night, in the wee hours when I was finally drifting off to sleep, THEN AWAKENED BY A ROWDY END.  I'm watching right now as a matter of fact...pretty tame.  But yes, I guess it is really part of it and wouldn't be the same if it was quiet.  Plus...they cowbell so I should really support that end of things!

I started curling for work a few years ago.  I have been involved in team sports my whole life and thought of curling as boring and for out of shape people.  I am converted.  It is a great way to spend time with some quality people and get some exercise.  I have acquired an interest in watching now that I understand the strategy.  I appreciate the yelling as I play lead and second and spend a lot of time sweeping.  It takes away any doubt, is kinda fun and motivating.  There are also usually beverages/cocktails involved apres curling.  

Image result for chicks with brooms curling

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Thank you for your input, I really enjoyed reading that. 

My parents used the corn brooms...that seemed like it had to be mastered and likely looked easier than it was.

Ha, funny....was just at the mall this morning (starting a bit of Christmas shopping) ... they had a Bob Ross section at the Showcase store.  My daughter LOVES him so will be returning to purchase something for her. 

If I'm ever up in the wee hours and I'm coming down from a too late in the evening cup of coffee and slice of chocolate cake, my PVR is there to rescue me. Ten minutes of Bob's soothing voice and the scratch of his knife across the canvas and I'm lost. Works every time. I've turned my boys into fans as well but they're young and impressionable and think they are witnessing the creation of great art! He can sure put in some impressive clouds and snow capped mountain ranges though!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

I believe most curling clubs have these public newbie sessions on weekend afternoons or whatever.  They are always trying to bring more people into the sport.

I strongly recommend you bring the cowbell.  Give no ****s.

• Upvote 1

My cousin will be playing at the nationals in the Edmonton area later this month. He can drink strong IPAs like a champ along with me...I think he will do well.

He's also travelling back and forth to another tournament around that time. And, I have a bunch of older cousins and all their teenage kids living in the Sherwood Park area. They are already making signs and costumes. =D

On 11/9/2019 at 9:52 AM, debluvscanucks said:

Many moons ago, I was at a hockey tournament..... (I honestly can't remember where this was, could've been anywhere in BC or Alberta) We had the last game of the day, so by the time we were leaving, the arena was pretty much empty....

i have no idea where the rink rat had gotten to, but he was foolish enough to leave the door to the curling facility unlocked. (it was one of those multi-sport complexes)

long story short, a few of us decided to try our hand. (It looks pretty easy on TV) I remember my first effort barely made it halfway down the sheet, so obviously, you had to put a little more behind it......

....my second shot almost took the board at the back of the house off.

We got out of there......quickly....

• Haha 1

I met the woman who would become my wife on a charter bus headed for a bonspiel. She said I know you. I said so? At the time both of us were engaged to other people, but the mutual attraction was strong. Within a month each of us had extricated ourselves from our respective intendeds. That was 42 years ago and we are still married. We don't curl anymore but still watch once in awhile. Funny thing: on the weekend we met we each had a choice of going on a ski trip or a bonspiel, but chose curling. Fate, I guess.