The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Meeting Canucks

Rate this topic

freshhprince95

What do you guys think about meeting players in public? Is it appropriate to approach players if they’re on their own time shopping with friends or should you just fan girl inside and leave them be? 

Saw petey at holt renfrew and totally made the home alone face out of instinct. Think he saw lol and turned around so I just decided to walk away 

• Upvote 1

Well if you're the real Fresh Prince then I'm sure that the players would be more than happy to meet you, Mr. Will Smith

Side note, I was at a game two seasons ago and my brother and I were going up the stairs to get to our upper bowl seats.

He was panicking that we were late and going to miss the opening faceoff, and I noticed someone walking down the stairs with an arena staff member and what looked to be a security guard. He said to my brother, "Don't worry, they're just starting the anthems. You've got time."

I looked up and noticed that it was Dan Murphy! Very cool moment.

I don't know how this has anything to do with answering your question but congrats on your extra-terrestrial sighting in Vancouver!

I wonder if Petey has a ufo..

..but I'm getting sidetracked here again..

6 minutes ago, freshhprince95 said:

What do you guys think about meeting players in public? Is it appropriate to approach players if they’re on their own time shopping with friends or should you just fan girl inside and leave them be? 

Saw petey at holt renfrew and totally made the home alone face out of instinct. Think he saw lol and turned around so I just decided to walk away 

Well that's an easy question:

You could approach him and just casually say " hey, i saw the same 1 pound gold chain at Ikea for $10 bucks".   

• Haha 1

you could nod to show recognition or make a comment. it shouldn't be as a question that you expect an answer to, but let them know you recognize them. when dave babych was at the smithers airport, i held the door for him and said, after you young fellow. he said thank you and went on his way. 

• Cheers 1

They are public figures they rely on fans like you to so they can get paid. I think if you keep it 

brief and respectful then do it. If you cant keep your **** together when your talking to them

just dont.

Edited by Templeton Peck
Please don't bypass the board censors

6 hours ago, freshhprince95 said:

Years ago on a day after a game my wife and i were crossing Robson and was pretty sure Geoff Courtnall was passing by with another person but not sure. I said in a loud voice "Go kick some Oiler ass tomorrow Courtnall" and he turned around and so did Trevor Linden and they were both laughing and Geoff gave us the thumbs up!

Players do meet and greets or signings for a reason. If they are with their family or someone then let them be imo, if they are alone then something quick, like a hand shake wouldn’t be too bad (but it depends on the player really)

My Dad sees a lot of people from his generation of the Canucks and never approaches them. He’ll come home and be like “Just saw Rota at Costco lol.”

• Haha 2

Tend to just leave em alone. Eye contact with l a smile and and a nod and move on.

Only two times I've said anything were once at Playland, Kyle wellwood was with a date in line for the large swing ride. Just said hi, he nodded and said hi back. Girl I was with asked who was that, and I told her he played for the canucks, the girl he was with must of also heard because she had a big chit eating grin 

Second time was the summer Willy D got hired, I saw him sitting outside a bakery in Olympic village. Told him Hello, welcome to Vancouver, hope you have a real gud season... Didn't realize he'd take that last part and run with it so far 

• Haha 1

Met Messier on the ferry a week or so before it was announced he was signing with us.  Was in the gift shop and saw him walk in and just grin and look around - wearing a brown trench coat and a cowboy hat.   At first I wasn’t sure if it was him because I thought he’d be a lot bigger - and it was obvious he was incognito given the hilarious outfit - and nobody was mobbing him or acknowledging his presence given the creepy “flasher” vibe and without his bald dome showing didn’t look like him without closer inspection.   We had a staring contest that lasted about ten seconds, i was still pissed about 94 - but a big part of me turned into a 12 year old star struck boy again - that worshiped the Oilers dynasty too so was conflicted to say the least.   

In the end he grinned at me, and I smiled back - nodded and went about my gift store business - but if I only knew what was about to happen over the course of the next three years I’m not sure the altercation would have been so civil.

Years have gone I’ve mellowed a lot, upon reflection the Linden trade was one of the best things to ever happen to the club, we got Bertuzzi/Luongo and one of the Sedins as a result - and Markstrom still plays to this day for us.   And in the end Linden came home where he belongs.   Maybe what I really should have shaken his hand and thanked him.  

These guys need their space but they also need to except a level of interefence when out in public - met Demko when he was injured last year, bro and I were getting a beer and he came out of a door beside the lineup in Laval.   Brother had a polite conversation with him, seems like a good bloke and went on our way.   I think the best way to do it is let them engage and don’t force it - nothing wrong with saying hi and a hand shake.  Think most of them don’t mind it and maybe even like the attention - just keep it from getting creepy - also met Kesler at Disney world but he was with his family so left him alone.   One day I’d like to meet Linden...that would be awesome.