The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Has Don's Cherry Just Popped?

Rate this topic

beartooth

1 hour ago, Grapefruits said:

It's being overblown as far as I see it.  The media isn't helping any.  Throwing fuel on the fire, but that's the media for you these days. I can see how it could offend some people who are easily offended , but some are taking offended over this to a whole new level.

Perfectly said, Don and his age could have made that speech a whole heck of a lot worse in my opinion. The people he was talking about, are they aware of the sacrifices our veterans made. Most likely not, we grew up learning it in school and remembering them every November 11th.

I know foreigners who move here and want to eventually become a Canadian citizen have to do some form of test with basic Canadian knowledge on it. Do they learn or is anything regarding Remembrance Day or why we wear poppies taught to them? 

I can see both sides, but you worded it perfectly..."The media isn't helping" and they are making it out to be a big deal.

I don't expect immigrants to know much about Canada when arriving, but if they have been here for even 1 full year no matter the town you live in November 11th is celebrated as Remembrance Day. They have poppies out, ceremonies held etc.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

CBC knows exactly who Cherry is. No one there is surprised by his take on things. Yet they keep running him out there.

CBC is no longer in charge of the production of HNIC, rogers is. That's why rogers is apologizing. I know the rogers deal is complicated, it still seems like CBC is running things but its not the case. 

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I think it's overblown myself, but I can see why some people (the sensitives) would be upset. I also don't see many people wearing poppies these days.

The problem was that he clearly framed his argument only targeting "those people".  Again, I said it before that Don Cherry is just an old fossil.  What's Ron McLean's excuse?  Guy just stood there & said nothing.

• Upvote 3

This is nothing compared to the type of things he used to say 20 or 30 years ago...

I've watched Don Cherry for many decades. This is nothing. He's a racist xenophobe to the core.... He's such a redneck he even hates white people immigrant hockey players from Europe especially Russians...

We live in a PC culture.. this is nothing compared to comments he used make 20 yrs ago... Heck he hated Europeans so much he'd often go on rants on hnic.. this isn't his first anti immigrant rant...

But as a personal note my grandfather immigrated here .when I was around 14 years old I asked him if Canada went to war would he be willing to sacrifice his life for our country..... He looked at me said absolutely he would and told me I also should feel same way for our country..

So immigrants do love this county ... Most ppl born here don't wear a poopy either.. 

85 year old red neck racist is the greatest Canadian voted by people across this country.. in Canada of all places.. lol...

3 hours ago, rekker said:

I stopped watching Don a long time ago. He had some good years but he just talks nonsense most of the time now. He's a great hockey man and belongs in the Hall of Fame but he is well past his expiry date.

This. I loved coaches corner as a kid 15 years ago, but I don't bother with it anymore.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, WHL rocks said:

This is nothing compared to the type of things he used to say 20 or 30 years ago...

I've watched Don Cherry for many decades. This is nothing. He's a racist xenophobe to the core.... He's such a redneck he even hates white people immigrant hockey players from Europe especially Russians...

We live in a PC culture.. this is nothing compared to comments he used make 20 yrs ago... Heck he hated Europeans so much he'd often go on rants on hnic.. this isn't his first anti immigrant rant...

But as a personal note my grandfather immigrated here .when I was around 14 years old I asked him if Canada went to war would he be willing to sacrifice his life for our country..... He looked at me said absolutely he would and told me I also should feel same way for our country..

So immigrants do love this county ... Most ppl born here don't wear a poopy either.. 

85 year old red neck racist is the greatest Canadian voted by people across this country.. in Canada of all places.. lol...

I've heard he didn't like Pavel Bure, it all makes sense now. 

I work with a lot of people who aren’t originally from this country and had to teach some what the poppies stand for. Quite a few knew as well. 

It’s not Just “immigrants” who don’t know about poppies  I was checking in some Americans into a hotel and they asked if the poppies were free. I said no, they are donation. His reply was “well what do veterans want with all those poppies anyways“...... :shock::unsure:

4 hours ago, rekker said:

I stopped watching Don a long time ago. He had some good years but he just talks nonsense most of the time now. He's a great hockey man and belongs in the Hall of Fame but he is well past his expiry date.

Does he still do his thing on CBC?  Or is it a new Network for him now?  I haven't used Cable for a few years now... 

CBC has always been pretty politically correct -- to a fault in some ways.  If Cherry is getting questioned about stuff on another network, I'd be surprised.

I'm not sure how important retirement ages are.... depends on profession, availability of replacements, etc.  But he has to be about as out of date as you can get.

Rockem Sockem stuff, his interest in hockey fights... almost 20 years out of date now. 

What I hated about him too was his Eastern bias.  "I stayed up late to see the Canucks... etc."  We're only "late" if you don't come here or live here. 

(I feel the same about the CBC to be honest.  In the last election, they didn't even bother to figure out who or what BC wants or needs. Everytime I turned on CBC radio it was the same indifference to us. Not great when you're driving, lol.   All about Liberals vs. Conservatives, pipelines nice or pipelines not nice.   No discussion of B.Q.'s "no pipelines here" stand and the threat of the notwithstanding clause to avoid pipelines, meanwhile BC is expected to swallow this stuff because we aren't willing to threaten separation.) 

33 minutes ago, gameburn said:

Does he still do his thing on CBC?  Or is it a new Network for him now?  I haven't used Cable for a few years now... 

CBC has always been pretty politically correct -- to a fault in some ways.  If Cherry is getting questioned about stuff on another network, I'd be surprised.

I'm not sure how important retirement ages are.... depends on profession, availability of replacements, etc.  But he has to be about as out of date as you can get.

Rockem Sockem stuff, his interest in hockey fights... almost 20 years out of date now. 

What I hated about him too was his Eastern bias.  "I stayed up late to see the Canucks... etc."  We're only "late" if you don't come here or live here. 

(I feel the same about the CBC to be honest.  In the last election, they didn't even bother to figure out who or what BC wants or needs. Everytime I turned on CBC radio it was the same indifference to us. Not great when you're driving, lol.   All about Liberals vs. Conservatives, pipelines nice or pipelines not nice.   No discussion of B.Q.'s "no pipelines here" stand and the threat of the notwithstanding clause to avoid pipelines, meanwhile BC is expected to swallow this stuff because we aren't willing to threaten separation.) 

Rogers had a weird TV deal with the NHL so HNIC doesn't die, but they(Rogers) are in charge of all the production of the whole program, not CBC. It still airs on CBC but Rogers controls the whole production unlike before where CBC controlled it.That's why Sportsnet  (which is owned by Rogers) apologized today. 

Here's a article about the matter

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/sportsnet-apology-don-cherry-remarks-1.5354927

image.png.3c801e3d6fa60b5e10caa0d6699f321e.png

Edited by Guest

37 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

The Legion is far from what it used to be.  Look into their control over the poppy symbol and their day-to-day operations and you'll find yourself quickly looking for a different veterans organization.  VAC has been great for vets.

As for Cherry... there are a lot of folks here who think what he said isnt that bad.  Get a grip on reality - he is a garbage human being who wants to rule up hatred against immigrants.  He is going straight after them.  If you think it's okay to go on national TV and shame everyone of colour who isnt wearing a puppy, then you are probably garbage too.

Cherry doesnt care if white people dont wear a poppy.  He will never look at me and think of me as a good Canadian kid.  He will look at me and think how lucky I must be to enjoy all that milk and honey.  How I'm more compelled than others to wear the poppy... because I look different.

angry the lord of the rings GIF