The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Has Don's Cherry Just Popped?

Rate this topic

beartooth

5 hours ago, gameburn said:

Does he still do his thing on CBC?  Or is it a new Network for him now?  I haven't used Cable for a few years now... 

CBC has always been pretty politically correct -- to a fault in some ways.  If Cherry is getting questioned about stuff on another network, I'd be surprised.

I'm not sure how important retirement ages are.... depends on profession, availability of replacements, etc.  But he has to be about as out of date as you can get.

Rockem Sockem stuff, his interest in hockey fights... almost 20 years out of date now. 

What I hated about him too was his Eastern bias.  "I stayed up late to see the Canucks... etc."  We're only "late" if you don't come here or live here. 

(I feel the same about the CBC to be honest.  In the last election, they didn't even bother to figure out who or what BC wants or needs. Everytime I turned on CBC radio it was the same indifference to us. Not great when you're driving, lol.   All about Liberals vs. Conservatives, pipelines nice or pipelines not nice.   No discussion of B.Q.'s "no pipelines here" stand and the threat of the notwithstanding clause to avoid pipelines, meanwhile BC is expected to swallow this stuff because we aren't willing to threaten separation.) 

Separation is the answer. I'd vote yes for Manitoba to BC to separate and form our own country. Western issues are always secondary in federal parliament. 

• Haha 1

He’s done,  geez he was done a decade ago, a racist dinosaur that has to say “ I told you so” and see “they listen to me “ hundreds of times/ every time he gets a  chance to justify his own stupidity. Should have been taken off the air years ago.

the game he played and coached doesn’t even exist anymore. 

The title for my topic seemed a little confusing to a few people. I did that to grab peoples attention. 

The Brian Burke comments as a replacement for Donny was something I never thought of but I think he would be a wonderful replacement. 

I agree with some people that Don's days are done. He's a bit too full of himself. I believe his recent comments are going to send him packing.

He is under a season contract so the next week or two may be interesting.

The CBC bashing is kind of amusing as HNIC is Sportsnet as pointed out by a few readers.

Poppies shouldn't be controversial. The were established to remember the fallen. Not to promote anger. 

I have wondered why they keep putting this guy on for years.  

I remember probably 20 years ago, soon after his wife died, he looked like he was falling apart and was clearly fairly drunk for some of his segments.  I thought then it was time for him to at least take a hiatus but he never did.  I thought he did get better for a while but really now it is mostly non-sensical sounds, words that don't fit together and an inability to complete a cogent thought or sentence.

13 hours ago, beartooth said:

Not sure if this belongs here but I personally think Donny has been around a bit too long and he thinks that he, and he alone is Hockey Night in Canada. His "poppy" comments were a bit over the top. I feel the love coming. Lets hear some comments. :bigblush:    Basically what I'm asking is, is it time for him to hang up his skates?

What really surprises me is the amount of people backing Don on his views. Not only are they wrong they are really out of touch with reality. 

Sure Don is loved, he's a fantastic Canadian backing our troops, he always has but that doesn't mean his views are correct.

Why any one is surprised also surprises me. As stated the CBC knew what they had. Even Ron MaClean knows who is sitting next to him. 

This guy is stuck in yesteryear and it will never change. 

Seeing the responses  to this subject shows me we have a long way to go. This isn't about political correctness this is about our Canadian population being ignorant about simple facts.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Alflives said:

That’s the issue isn’t it?  You’re stating lots of people aren’t wearing poppies, which is a fair statement.  Do said it’s new people to the country who aren’t wearing poppies.  I don’t believe his comments are racist though.  Lots of new people might not know what the poppy represents?  

if not outright racist then maybe racist-adjacent. 

Its time to save Don from himself. If they don't usher him out soon he's going to do something that destroys his reputation forever. 

• Upvote 1

About 20 years ago... I decided to turn off the volume on the TV the second Don Cherry segment started.

Haven't seen / heard his ignorant comments on hockey / life for many many years. 

Don't miss his segment one bit.   

Edited by kingofsurrey

In Ron MacLeans defense, on live tv time is short and I got the impression he was quite surprised at Cherry and his comment and didn't have time to react given the pace of a live broadcast. Cherry has always put down MacLean if Cherry didn't like what he had to say. I'm satisfied when MacLean did make a statement as soon as he could get the airtime to do it. 

• Wat 1

9 hours ago, Whale Tail said:

I work with a lot of people who aren’t originally from this country and had to teach some what the poppies stand for. Quite a few knew as well. 

It’s not Just “immigrants” who don’t know about poppies  I was checking in some Americans into a hotel and they asked if the poppies were free. I said no, they are donation. His reply was “well what do veterans want with all those poppies anyways“...... :shock::unsure:

I am pretty sure remembrance day is world wide,   the USA, UK , ETC ,  everyone knows about poppies or they bloody well should. 

51 minutes ago, riffraff said:

I don’t doubt that Don would willingly take a fall like this on purpose because it’s something he truly believes in - remembrance.  I feel he his at the very least genuine to his belief system and I respect people like that.

I agree with this somewhat , only because he was raised in  the era of hitler ,when you were concripted or drafted YOU WENT!. anything comparable today would be isis and the responce to that wasn't even close in fact isis recruiting canadians and americans was an embarrassment cherry is old school and thats all he understands. he is appealing to the archie bunkers of Canada , no matter how times he says  ' all you kids out there'.

Edited by chon derry
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Monty said:

Live in a small city of 13,000. A few immigrants for sure, but mostly white, Anglo Canadians. I’d say 1 in 10 here wear a poppy. It’s pretty sad.

That’s what Cherry said, basically. 

What a monster. 

Rogers and their diversity commercials on hockey are social engineering.

Once their hockey commercial is over and the the camera pans the crowd, or they do a thing on hockeyville or good deeds cup, who do we see in the frame? 

Chalk up another loss for freedom of speech and the ability to tell the truth. 

18 minutes ago, chon derry said:

I agree with this somewhat , only because he was raised in  the era of hitler ,when you were concripted or drafted YOU WENT!. anything comparable today would be isis and the responce to that wasn't even close in fact isis recruiting canadians and americans was an embarrassment cherry is old school and thats all he understands. he is appealing to the archie bunkers of Canada , no matter how times he says  ' all you kids out there'.

Agreed but none of this makes him racist or worth hanging over social media.  His message may be sincere and good but his delivery is 85 years old.

im actually working today.  Does not mean I don’t feel conflicted over it nor do I feel the judgement of Don Cherry.

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

if not outright racist then maybe racist-adjacent. 

Its time to save Don from himself. If they don't usher him out soon he's going to do something that destroys his reputation forever. 

You know what you really put it in a good way. "Save Don from himself". That said his reputation has been on thin ice for a while. He's like an uncle living in yesteryear. 

We roll our eyes knowing he'll never get it yet tolerate it. Then... 

I think Don's legacy will include his so called short coming from his whole body of work. Which has been quite racist over time. He's not ever going to get it. 

Time for the pasture Don.

• Like 1