The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

It's the Coaching... analysis why

Rate this topic

*Buzzsaw*

On 11/15/2019 at 10:38 PM, *Buzzsaw* said:

Quennville was available all summer.

He is top 3 in the NHL.... but he will cost you.

5 years... over 26 million with Florida.

Alain Vigneault was available as well.

Another 25 mil... 5 years with Philly.

Want me to go on?

Coaches salary does not count against the CAP.

But the current Canucks owner has not seemed willing to pay the dollars... when Vigneault was here previously he was a relative unknown and not too expensive.

Travis Green is apparently paid $1 mill per.

Quenneville was always going to Florida

AV been there done that. Need I go on? 

• Upvote 2

On 11/16/2019 at 1:38 AM, *Buzzsaw* said:

Quennville was available all summer.

He is top 3 in the NHL.... but he will cost you.

5 years... over 26 million with Florida.

Alain Vigneault was available as well.

Another 25 mil... 5 years with Philly.

Want me to go on?

Coaches salary does not count against the CAP.

But the current Canucks owner has not seemed willing to pay the dollars... when Vigneault was here previously he was a relative unknown and not too expensive.

Travis Green is apparently paid $1 mill per.

And how is Quenville and AV doing?  How is Babcock doing? The only coach right now that has an obvious edge on the rest is Trotz.  Otherwise the rest are  fairly equal.   TG got us a point last night -  but I suppose some keyboard warriors think it’s his fault we lost last night (even though his decisions - which was commented on in the intermission - led to AG goal(s?) and tying it up late in the game. 

Its easy to say we had great coaches in Quin, Crow and AV - and of those Quin was up a notch - but they also coached the most talented teams we’ve ever had too - and all were eventually let go when things weren’t so good.   TG is coaching a young  team right now - and it’s right in his lane.   Don’t get why anyone thinks Green doesn’t belong in this league - and can’t wait to see what he does with as much to work with as say Quenville or Babcock (who is seriously overrated and always has been, easy to gold medals - team that good could coach itself). 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I just hope we don't sell the farm to try to buy our way into the playoffs. Keep our picks and prospects and let this group TOUGH it out.

Sink or swim time. What we can fix is our slow starts and zone entry on the PP. The PK needs some tweaking without Sutts/Beags. Time to give a physical Dman a couple games to help our goaltenders and clear the crease and clear the zone easier. 

This three line thing is hurting us, we need our grit guys back.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I just hope we don't sell the farm to try to buy our way into the playoffs. Keep our picks and prospects and let this group TOUGH it out.

Sink or swim time. What we can fix is our slow starts and zone entry on the PP. The PK needs some tweaking without Sutts/Beags. Time to give a physical Dman a couple games to help our goaltenders and clear the crease and clear the zone easier. 

This three line thing is hurting us, we need our grit guys back.

We can fix our zone entry on the PP by firing Newell and hiring someone competent to run the PP. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, rekker said:

Fire Green and hire Babcock once he's available. Don't really care but if Babcock won a cup here after the Leafs fired him.....man, just imagine the fun we would have with that. 

It would be fun until a week after we won... then the threads would be "Why didn't Babcock try Virtanen on left wing... Or Why doesn't Babcock try Boeser on the 2nd line.... it will never end no matter who is the coach!

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Trebreh said:

but our special teams (pk and pp) are in the top 10 i believe.

Pk been good.. but the pp is inflated by plenty of goals against the bottom feeders. If u look at it games vs decent teams our pp looks horrible..  even the last game even though we scored 2.. our top unit looks terrible..

I blame coaching since last 4-5 years our record vs backup goalies/fringe starter is horrific.. I dont think I'm wrong in saying worst in the league.. double digits in shutout against and a 80%+ losing rate.. I think that's got to do with coaching being lazy and not watching films on their other goalie.. when other teams are lighting those goalies up night after night like a xmas tree and we make them all look like Brodeur..  that's concerning 

As much as I love Green and think we certainly shouldn't fire him any time soon, Babcock may be an interesting thought because this Canucks team is very similar to the Red Wings teams he coached to the Cup.

Toronto is built completely different with 5 key guys and it shows, Babcock is struggling with depth, defence and goaltending.

The Canucks have an elite top line with a solid 2nd line center similar to the Datsyuk-Zetterberg combination. The rest of our forwards are all hard-working two-way forwards similar to the defensive forward teams of the Red Wings. On the blueline, they had Lidstrom and Kronvall leading the way similar to Edler-Hughes/Myers trio.

Still I agree the league has changed a lot since then and you need speed and scoring ability to win rather than just solid defence and toughness, but there are similarities...

• Like 1

Why did they not have Gaudette play in the OT. He was hot in that game. Most coaches reward hustle and play like that. It was a real let down in the OT after watching Canucks tie it up late in the period. The guys that can skate should be in the OT. I don't mean Tanev. OK they started Horvat to make sue they got the puck but  Pettersen never got a chance and he is the best in alone on the goalie. He and Hughes are perfect for the 3 on 3. So the Canucks have some real talent, skaters, etc but the coaches are not at the same level.

39 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

As much as I love Green and think we certainly shouldn't fire him any time soon, Babcock may be an interesting thought because this Canucks team is very similar to the Red Wings teams he coached to the Cup.

Toronto is built completely different with 5 key guys and it shows, Babcock is struggling with depth, defence and goaltending.

The Canucks have an elite top line with a solid 2nd line center similar to the Datsyuk-Zetterberg combination. The rest of our forwards are all hard-working two-way forwards similar to the defensive forward teams of the Red Wings. On the blueline, they had Lidstrom and Kronvall leading the way similar to Edler-Hughes/Myers trio.

Still I agree the league has changed a lot since then and you need speed and scoring ability to win rather than just solid defence and toughness, but there are similarities...

Babs get paid (likely) more than 4 million per season than Green.  I don't see our owner wanting that.  Plus, Babs is an experienced coach with a strong voice.  Would he mesh with our owner?

• Upvote 1

What Green and Brown need to do is to create a series of set plays which allow the Canuck shooters to shoot.

Both on the Power Play and at even strength.

This team has two of the best shooters in the league in Pettersson and Boeser but right now they rarely get an open shot at the net... not at full strength or on the PP.

Not talking about golden scoring chances from 6 feet in front of the net... talking 20 foot shots... they can't even get those.

It can't be that difficult... I watched Nathan MacKinnon get open shots on the Colorado PP all night... and that was with two of their key players, Landeskog and Rantanen missing from the PP.  If the Av's can do it, with their injury riddled team, why can't the Canucks?

Rarely do these two Canuck shooters get a clear shot at the net where it is them versus the goalie.... both of them have proven they can beat a goalie 1 on 1... but somehow the coaching systems which are in place this year never give them that opportunity.  Last year they got those chances... why not this year?

Setting a player up to take a clear shot on the PP is not rocket science, NHL coaches have been creating systems to achieve this for 50 years.

Time for Green and Brown to go back and look at some of that old tape... or just look at MacKinnon and the Av's the other night.

• Upvote 1