The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Coyotes sign GM John Chayka to contract extension

Rate this topic

3 hours ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Canucks fans should forever be grateful to the Coyotes and Habs for those off the board pics. 

At the 2018 draft, I didn’t think Hughes would ever fall to us. I heard enough rumours about the Habs going for a Center to know that they will pick Kotkaniemi. I expected the top 5 to be Dahlin, Svechnikov, Kotkanimei, Tkachuk and Zadina. With Detroit at 6 and QH playing in Michigan, I thought 100% he was going to end up in Detroit. The unexpected was Coyotes picking Hayton, which led to the fall of Zadina and led to Detroit picking him at 6 and allow the Canucks to draft the perfect player who is both the best player available and fits our organizational need.

Edited by ruilin96
  • Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Canucks fans should forever be grateful to the Coyotes and Habs for those off the board pics. 

And Detroit...  Though Zadina wasn't off the board, it easy to see why Detroit felt inclined to pick him over Hughes.  That was our luckiest draft to date.  Benning stated 'Homerun'. I'd say 'stole home base' for Hughes.  'Home run' for Pettersson.

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, ruilin96 said:

At the 2018 draft, I didn’t think Hughes would ever fall to us. I heard enough rumours about the Habs going for a Center to know that they will pick Kotkaniemi. I expected the top 5 to be Dahlin, Svechnikov, Kotkanimei, Tkachuk and Zadina. With Detroit at 6 and QH playing in Michigan, I thought 100% he was going to end up in Detroit. The unexpected was Coyotes picking Hayton, which led to the fall of Zadina and led to Detroit picking him at 6 and allow the Canucks to draft the perfect player who is both the best player available and fits our organizational need.

To be fair, I softened on my view of Hayton being a reach after seeing him play for Team Canada.  He'll be a good player, but he'd be a much better one if the Coyotes hired a real GM instead of this analytics dweeb who seems to have no idea how to actually construct a hockey team.  Ultimately, Hayton's development will be stunted because the Coyotes can't draft enough talented guys, and waste the few good picks they do make with idiotic trades.

Edited by King Heffy

Another point I was going to point out about Chayka is that he should of went to JB for a trade down in 2018 draft to see if he can get more assets by trading down. It was rumoured that JB was desperate to try to move up to get QH, and he could of definitely gotten more assets from JB by moving 2 spots down and he would still get his guy Hayton at #7.