The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PTO] Troy Brouwer, Jamie McGinn with Blues

The Blues don't go for just any players when they add some depth.  They look for the gritty, heavier players who they know will thrive in the playoffs (i.e., no Erikssons or Goldobins).  It's the same formula that Benning is finally using, with his trades, signings and drafting.  The only question I have, is why it took him so long?!

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

The Blues don't go for just any players when they add some depth.  They look for the gritty, heavier players who they know will thrive in the playoffs (i.e., no Erikssons or Goldobins).  It's the same formula that Benning is finally using, with his trades, signings and drafting.  The only question I have, is why it took him so long?!

You have to build the base first,, we had no one but players like that, and when you have no assets you can't really trade for better ones,, I think management wanted playoffs the first season or two with Benning but then after the rebuild then you can add those pieces,,, also blues just won the cup so players are way more likely to go there 

• Cheers 1

42 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

He was trying to fill the skill void that is now filled by Pettersson, Horvat, Hughes, Miller, and Boeser. 

Plus it's better to get those types of players now. Getting them 4 years ago would have only made them old when these guys arrived. You don't get big, heavy, physical pros until free agency.

Unless you can make a trade or two. But adding seasoned pros from other good clubs only helps our kids grow.

Beagle cup winner in WSH

Miller presidents trophy winner TBL

Roussel strong team DAL

Schaller contender BOS

Ferland conference finalist CAR

You just wait until Roussel is back and Ferland is healthy. We are going to watch some entertaining hockey. We might become the most hated team in the league again lol. They tried with Prust from MTL but that guy wouldn't stand up for teammtes.  We have a good cast now.

You forgot Sutter. Beagle and Sutter have made our PK what it is now. They have also kept games reasonable in years past when healthy.

• Cheers 1

48 minutes ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

GM Armstrong was saying this summer that he still believes that the league is going towards skills and quick puck movement.  He likes size for Ds though.  

He was recently telling LeBrun that you need balance.  He was explaining that if you build in only one direction then you can only win one way, while if you build in different directions you can beat teams in multiple ways.  

There's less time in the playoffs.  The skilled guy who has the smarts to find the holes in coverage and the skills to capitalise quickly can at times be more efficient than the bigger guy who has to battle his way to get a goal.   It's not evident to say which type of scorer will be more efficient in any given game.    

5 minutes ago, mll said:

GM Armstrong was saying this summer that he still believes that the league is going towards skills and quick puck movement.  He likes size for Ds though.  

He was recently telling LeBrun that you need balance.  He was explaining that if you build in only one direction then you can only win one way, while if you build in different directions you can beat teams in multiple ways.  

There's less time in the playoffs.  The skilled guy who has the smarts to find the holes in coverage and the skills to capitalise quickly can at times be more efficient than the bigger guy who has to battle his way to get a goal.   It's not evident to say which type of scorer will be more efficient in any given game.    

exactly right , you need skill speed  size and toughness to win , its finding the right balance of all four areas to succeed., that's why a guy like tyler motte is a valuable player,he has speed and toughness and some size and skill , he is a player that makes our 4th line a hell of a lot better .Same goes with rousell (sp) brings that bit of everything you need to succeed  as does JT miller .Ferland well  unfortunately he is out , would bring toughness size and skill . benn and myers   bring some toughness and size on the backend .

we have been lacking in size and toughness for last number of years and jb has gone out and addressed that ,  we just need a lil a bit more skill up front  on bo,s wing  and no the answer isn't goldy or bear either . 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...