The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Don Cherry Fired

Rate this topic

b3.

27 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Awesome thanks for the post! So 21 years ago Grapes says "You People"...21 years later Grapes says "You People" then gets fired....

You people... 

vs.

You people that come here...

There's the difference.  Don should have just said 'you people' and left it at that.  Once he added the 'that come here' part, he singled out immigrants.  

4 minutes ago, HKSR said:

You people... 

vs.

You people that come here...

There's the difference.  Don should have just said 'you people' and left it at that.  Once he added the 'that come here' part, he singled out immigrants.  

You are divining what Cherry intended to mean.  Only he knows that, and he clarified that he meant us all, who have come here.  We live in a new age, where we all have to be aware there are bad people trying to hurt us by controlling our thoughts.  And if we disagree we are belittled, insulted, and called racist.  Any different opinion is devalued, and the speaker is dehumanized.  It’s not far from the extremist acts done by horrible people in Armenia and Germany in the World Wars.  

Edited by Alflives
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Shouldn’t the focus of all children’s sports be fun?  

I'd say the really young leagues (elementary school years) for sure in relation to "children".

I think hockey from a young age really mirrors life at large. The compeitive aspects of the game allow you to experience a myriad of situations both good and bad. Life isn't all fun. Plus it's a game so competitiveness is naturally built in from a human nature standpoint. You can't eliminate that from humans.

I was a really sensitive kid, wasn't very good when I was young, got bullied and made fun of in hockey school, and often got my feelings hurt through Atom/Peewee. And there were a lot of times I wanted to quit.

As I got older and bigger, though, the competitive aspects of the game really gave me targets and goals to set in terms of getting better, working through the negatives, feeling a sense of accomplishment, and hope that things really can change if you work hard and don't give up.

Suddenly I was scoring goals, getting better, and teammates valued me. That also helped me see my own self-worth and talent that was always there. The more compititive it became, the more accoutabile I felt toward my own contrubutions and guys on my team. I went from a kid with low self-esteem to a much more confident young person. It also helped me understand how my actions had consequences.

"The fun" was in the process of becoming a better player, better teammate, not shying away or giving up, and ultimately experiencing both the negatives AND positives. This led to becoming a more well-rounded individual.

My experience in compeitive hockey showed me that I can play other sports and that I really can succeed if I applied myself. So I then got into football, baseball, basketball, track, cross-country, etc ... just like a lot of people on this board.

If the focus was fun only, I can say for 100% certainty I wouldn't have learned or experienced those things and that level of self-growth of overcoming adversity at an early age.

Competitive sports really prepared me for life. And when I started my own business years later, I really understood just how much compeitive sports prepared me for that world as well.

All of the negatives I experienced as a child when hockey wasn't fun actually became my greatest strengths when I was an adult. 

The problem is, though, at early ages most of the focus is on the more talented kids and favortism comes intio play. Also social status plays a huge negative role. The same favored kids deemed most talented by the social network of parents and coaches make the teams year after year ... even when they don't deserve it. So, you end up with a lot of kids who get marginalized and no one recognizes their late blooming talent. There are a lot of adult factors that contrubute to the experience not being fun for kids. 

Edited by Dr. Crossbar
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

You are divining what Cherry intended to mean.  Only he knows that, and he clarified that he meant us all, who have come here.  We live in a new age, where we all have to be aware there are bad people trying to hurt us by controlling our thoughts.  And if we disagree we are belittled, insulted, and called racist.  Any different opinion is devalued, and the speaker is dehumanized.  It’s not far from the extremist acts done by horrible people in Armenia and Germany in the World Wars.  

I'm not saying what I think he meant or didn't mean.  All I'm saying is when you put those words together, it's quite clear who the message is for.

No different than me saying,

You people vs You people that visit TSN.ca ...

The first one would be me talking to all of you on CDC.

The second one would be me talking to those on CDC that visit TSN.ca ...

Not sure how else you can read a simple English sentence differently.

Like I said, the words "that come here" screwed him over.

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

I'm not saying what I think he meant or didn't mean.  All I'm saying is when you put those words together, it's quite clear who the message is for.

No different than me saying,

You people vs You people that visit TSN.ca ...

The first one would be me talking to all of you on CDC.

The second one would be me talking to those on CDC that visit TSN.ca ...

Not sure how else you can read a simple English sentence differently.

Like I said, the words "that come here" screwed him over.

I welcome your opinion, and respect it.  Canada is great, as are Canadians.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

It’s not far from the extremist acts done by horrible people in Armenia and Germany in the World Wars.  

That part is outright ridiculous. It belittles the atrocities that some people suffered through and died from.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

That part is outright ridiculous. It belittles the atrocities that some people suffered through and died from.

Those atrocities begin with identifying a group of people, and dehumanizing them.  The PC police and SJWs are attacking those who don’t agree with their views, and dehumanizing them.  

Notice you write my view, because it’s different than yours and the PC police, is ridiculous.  Many people opposed to Turkish and Nazi dehumanizing tactics were singled out for their views being “ridiculous”.  They were ridiculed.  

There is always a beginning to these horrible atrocities.  

Edited by Alflives
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Those atrocities begin with identifying a group of people, and dehumanizing them.  The PC police and SJWs are attacking those who don’t agree with their views, and dehumanizing them.  

Notice you write my view, because it’s different than yours and the PC police, is ridiculous.  Many people opposed to Turkish and Nazi dehumanizing tactics were singled out for their views being “ridiculous”.  They were ridiculed.  

I think there's a big difference tho, in that the current really vicious SJW/PC attackers are a pretty small group and also really don't come from a base of power like in Germany e.g. I actually think what you're seeing out of Trump is a lot closer to what you fear. He openly attacks and tears down people, and dehumanizes them (his use if "dog" when describing people he doesn't like) and he has nearly 1/2 the US backing him. The SJW/PC police are a far smaller group, pretty much campus commies for the most part imo. 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

How is labeling people with a different view than yours as SJWs and PC police any different? It's just more my side, your side divisiveness and is hypocrisy.

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, infinitecarnage said:

it's like they're addicted to being offended. pc culture has really broken them beyond repair

23 hours ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Alf, that really doesn't make me want to read the rest of your posts when you say stuff like that. 

He's not that far off.  Have to understand where the whole "PC culture" and such come from.  It's cultural marxism, and has the intention of both dumbing-down society through weaponizing language and stifling freedom of expression.  Anyone who's read 1984 knows exactly what it's all about.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

How is labeling people with a different view than yours as SJWs and PC police any different? It's just more my side, your side divisiveness and is hypocrisy.

Exactly.  Cherry represents a large group of Canadians.  Just because people have different opinions, doesn’t mean they are less Canadian.  In Canada we encourage people’s voices.  Or we should.  The PC police and SJWs want only their views heard.  And beyond that, which is evil, they want to dehumanize any voice that disagrees.  That is exactly what leads to terrible atrocities.  

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think there's a big difference tho, in that the current really vicious SJW/PC attackers are a pretty small group and also really don't come from a base of power like in Germany e.g. I actually think what you're seeing out of Trump is a lot closer to what you fear. He openly attacks and tears down people, and dehumanizes them (his use if "dog" when describing people he doesn't like) and he has nearly 1/2 the US backing him. The SJW/PC police are a far smaller group, pretty much campus commies for the most part imo. 

I don’t disagree.  Singling out any group, and dehumanizing them is horrible.  I see the PC and SJWs making anyone who differs in opinion from them the “scapegoats” for all that is wrong in the world.  That’s exactly the connection to any horrible atrocities from the past.  We are all equal, including our opinions.  No one should be made to feel afraid to speak out, especially when their opinion challenges what others deem to be what’s right.  

Evidently Bo has a ways to go to become a Bobby...

'He's not a bigot': Bobby Orr calls Don Cherry's firing 'disgraceful'

Orr said co-host Ron MacLean, who nodded along with Cherry's remarks, threw his long-time friend under the bus: 'Shame on him'

'DISGUSTING': Bobby Orr blasts firing of 'good man' Don Cherry

“Don loves our great game. Next to his family the most important people in his life are the military, the police, firefighters and paramedics. He is no bigot. After 38 years on television, if you haven’t figured out Don Cherry, there’s nothing I can do.”

In fact, the legendary defenceman said he is the opposite of a bigot.

“You have no idea the stuff he does for people that nobody knows about,” said Orr. “Don is one most generous people I know.”

“Yes, he’s my friend. But I have known him a long time and I know he is not a bigot or a racist.

https://torontosun.com/news/local-news/warmington-orr-in-grapes-corner

Doesn't matter, Bobby.  Whatever someone beset with self-induced "white guilt" and a fragile manipulated conscience or virtue-signalling self-righteous SJW says someone means by their words is what matters.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ItsAllOursBoys said:

Cherry should have/could have said his piece in a more constructive way.  That being said, the social media meltdown of snowflakes screaming for his head is not only ironic, but hypocritical. After all, where was the meltdown over the 3 Trudeau blackface videos? Where were all the social justice warriors screaming for his head? All we heard was crickets, then they voted for him at the ballot box. 

Case of selective outrage I think!

This take blows my mind.  

How is Cherry finally getting canned for pushing the same bigoted rhetoric for 30 years (and likely fired more likely because he’s expensive, semi-incoherent disaster half the time who would never retire on his own) the same as Trudeau getting outed for something he did 20 years ago, and is completely in contrast to everything he pushes as a politician and public figure in recent memory?  Not withstanding that he was roundly criticized for it - and is still getting slagged for it.  I didn’t vote for him again.

Do people really sit there and think it’s the same thing, baffled by the hypocrisy?  I just assumed it was partisan politics taking a chance to slag Trudeau.. I didn’t consider people actually think it’s in the same universe with regards to equivalency.

Edited by ilduce39
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

This take blows my mind.  

How is Cherry finally getting canned for pushing the same bigoted rhetoric for 30 years (and likely fired more likely because he’s expensive, semi-incoherent disaster half the time who would never retire on his own) the same as Trudeau getting outed for something he did 20 years ago, and is completely in contrast to everything he pushes as a politician and public figure in recent memory?  Not withstanding that he was roundly criticized for it - and is still getting slagged for it.  I didn’t vote for him again.

Do people really sit there and think it’s the same thing, baffled by the hypocrisy?  I just assumed it was partisan politics taking a chance to slag Trudeau.. I didn’t consider people actually think it’s in the same universe with regards to equivalency.

What?  Cherry, as stated by someone who knows him closely - Bobby Orr, is not a bigot or racist.  JT painted his face black on more occasions than he can even remember.  

33 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I don’t disagree.  Singling out any group, and dehumanizing them is horrible.  I see the PC and SJWs making anyone who differs in opinion from them the “scapegoats” for all that is wrong in the world.  That’s exactly the connection to any horrible atrocities from the past.  We are all equal, including our opinions.  No one should be made to feel afraid to speak out, especially when their opinion challenges what others deem to be what’s right.  

yeah within the bounds of hate speech I'd agree with this. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

What?  Cherry, as stated by someone who knows him closely - Bobby Orr, is not a bigot or racist.  JT painted his face black on more occasions than he can even remember.  

Trudeau is off the hook for all that, we have him his job back :lol:

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1