The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Don Cherry Fired

Rate this topic

b3.

16 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Meanwhile Donald Trump is still President of the worlds most powerful nation.

Its hard, but he says & does waay more dumb things than Cherry. These days anyway.

Too many of these type of guys are popular is my real point...

Good Riddance!

I think this time was right in history to let him go because of Trump, we don't want to travel the same path of the US and Cherry's time was up over a decade ago CBC was just too chicken sh$t to deal with it

• Like 2

1 minute ago, steve french said:

Well, it was going to happen sooner or later. I suppose people will be insulated from hearing his opinions now. I would give most immigrants a bit more credit; I figure they are not that weak that they would be broken down by the ramblings of an old man. At least Don ain't hurting for money and can probably enjoy a nice relaxed retirement. I doubt they would have let him off the hook if he had apologized. Folks would be waiting in the weeds for him to slip up again. I can't escape the feeling that this had more to do with getting rid of someone that is disliked than the controversy of his statements. I respect Don a lot more for standing by his words, not backing down and apologizing. Saying immigrants should show respect for a nation's veterans on a day of remembrance should not be a controversial opinion. I guess it was the tone though, and perhaps he should have done a study first, and got concrete information on the relation between citizenship and poppy-wearing, avoiding the anecdotes. 

Its mostly blue and pink haired granny glass wearing emaciated college CULT MEMBERS who run the outrage news cycle.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, xereau said:

My true colors are that I hate Don Cherry, but for him to lose his job over something so inane, based on professional outrage aficionados, makes my red blood boil.

If you don't like what he has to say, don't watch it, and let the free market run him off the air.

This all happened in the Soviet Union. All of it. The term political correctness is a direct literal translation.

And the gullible and the youth have swallowed cultural Marxism hook, line, and sinker.

Soviets didn't have Political Correctness. 

It's more of Madison Avenue advertising/marketing spin.

As George Carlin pointed out:

WWI: Shell Shock 

WWII: Battle Fatigue

Vietnam: Post Traumatic Stress Disorder

In the Soviet Union you just shut up and did what you were told. 

The Far Left and Far Right, neither side is good. 

I just hate the dumbing down of society.

The reality this is to get the middle and lower classes having divisions, while the rich keep getting richer.

And the power and money get more concentrated to the 1%.

• Upvote 1

Just now, xereau said:

You mean freedom, including from mobs of outraged morons? (and government?)

Count me in..

Yeah exactly. Freedom to say what you want and do what you want, just don't hurt anyone in the process.

You know, the basic, fundamental principals that make up Canada. Something the outrage generation doesn't understand.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, HerrDrFunk said:

“Now you go to the small cities, and you know, the rows and rows ... you people love ... they come here, whatever it is, you love our way of life, you love our milk and honey, at least you can pay a couple bucks for a poppy or something like that. These guys paid for your way of life that you enjoy in Canada, these guys paid the biggest price.”

Alf, look at the context. Cherry is either talking about immigrants or he's so far gone mentally that he inadvertently strung together a xenophobic rant. 

I appreciate your interpretation, but the thing is no one really know what he meant except for Don himself.  IMO he was talking to everyone living the “milk and honey” easy lives of the city.  Everyone who was born after WWII too.  This is what I see in his anger.  He’s mad that we city folk, regardless of skin colour or where we were from, don’t wear poppies.  

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, apollo said:

I used to not be a fan because it seemed like the guy had a screw or two loose... But at the end of the day he's one of the few entertaining guys left with Rogers. 

As an immigrant I have absolutely no problem with what he said. He's passionate and he wanted to raise more awareness for donations to vets. 

No reason to watch HNIC anymore. Thank God for streaming... I'll take the US broadcasts over Roger's any day of the week. 

Its really a shame he gets fired for standing up for the men that fought for our freedom. 

What a joke. I already had 0 respect for Roger's, can't really go any lower than this. 

Thanks Apollo, - the people I know that are also first generation immigrants I asked also didn’t have any issue with his comments.  Yeah he had a screw loose or two but he spoke his mind and have to admire him for that and for his courage - his love for hockey and our country is infectious and unwavering.

Of course none of us loved his support for the Bruins and it probably alienated some fans - but you could see where it was coming from (he did coach them).  He was also a big fan of Bure - and Linden - and a lot of other things.  Maybe it was his time but don’t think SN has much backbone - and hate the fact I pay for SNP and they don’t show any western games back East (wtf).   Coaches corner has been part of hockey for decades - he’s 85 and we all knew this was coming.  IMO huge shoes to fill and as right now can’t see who’s in the industry that can fill them.  Maybe Torts when he looses his job - Button maybe too...in the meantime better give Milbury a call. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I appreciate your interpretation, but the thing is no one really know what he meant except for Don himself.  IMO he was talking to everyone living the “milk and honey” easy lives of the city.  Everyone who was born after WWII too.  This is what I see in his anger.  He’s mad that we city folk, regardless of skin colour or where we were from, don’t wear poppies.  

And you, apparently :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Soviets didn't have Political Correctness. 

It's more of Madison Avenue advertising/marketing spin.

As George Carlin pointed out:

WWI: Shell Shock 

WWII: Battle Fatigue

Vietnam: Post Traumatic Stress Disorder

In the Soviet Union you just shut up and did what you were told. 

The Far Left and Far Right, neither side is good. 

I just hate the dumbing down of society.

The reality this is to get the middle and lower classes having divisions, while the rich keep getting richer.

And the power and money get more concentrated to the 1%.

Vladimir Lenin first used the term, so please, spare me.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Tystick said:

Why can't he put the same pressure on immigrants? Are they untouchable, sacred entities?

He specifically targeted immigrants had he gone on his regular rant that no one is buying poppies then no one would have cared but he specifically called them out saying you come over here and love our way of life and then don't buy a poppy... He was just looking for an excuse to go on a racist rant about immigrants. The problem isn't immigrants aren't buying poppies it's a much deeper issue which he feels that immigrants are just coming over here and taking advantage of the freedom "we" fought for. Was he in a war? Did he fight for anything? Did you fight for anything? The vast majority of us were just incredibly lucky to be born into a free country but feel that we are entitled to much more than an immigrant because of where we were born. We're just extremely lucky and then just as ignorant to anyone who wants what we basically have done nothing for. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Your point about women in men's dressing rooms? No men in women's... Reverse discrimination your point.

Does have merit.  But? Men abuse women, and circumstance, far more often without getting into any words that sensationalize the difference. I do believe it is the correct thing that men should not be in a women's dressing room as a result. It is actually a different argument.   

I am probably with you that men shouldn't be allowed in womans dressing rooms, but woman abuse men as well and I am not ashamed to say my first marriage ended because of the 3rd time my drunk ex struck me and I believe it happens alot more then we hear about obviously because men are reluctant to come forward

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2