The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Don Cherry Fired

Rate this topic

b3.

3 minutes ago, spur1 said:

Excuse me...Cherry is and never was a Boomer. Boomers protested against his crap. 

He's a beyond Boomer, did we even have names for generations before then? Or was it all just the "horse and plough" generation before the Boomers? I love Cherry, but I can't say this hasn't been coming. I wish he would just stick to hockey, he has a great eye and love for the sport. But he always had to go further with bringing down other nationalities that weren't his version of what Canadians are supposed to be. This reminds me of a Bill Burr comedy skit about how the Duck Dynasty grandpa was shamed for saying racist comments on TV...it's pretty hilarious... his point "what did you think he thought? Should we all be surprised!?" He was born into a generation that thought that way...my grandparents included! I still love them tho!! 

I am doing Bill Burr no justice here, i'll just add the clip so you can watch...hopefully this can make us laugh and move on. Sportsnet made the right call, even if it was many years too late.

• Upvote 1

@gurn The other thread was closed while I was in the middle of replying. So I'll just dump my reply in here.

Your comment ----- I don't get the outrage. Don never mentions race at all so all this is about the phrase "you people".

If this is the new standard for dismissal, all I can say is thank, christ, alllah,  and all the other imaginary sky fairies, I'm really close to retiring.

That said Don should have retired quite a while back.

Reply ---

It wasn't just "you people", that could mean anyone. He says "you people that come here". When he says that he's not referring to tourists visiting Banff. It's clearly a reference to immigrants.

If he's pissed at the declining numbers of people who wear poppies that's fine. No one's going to take issue with that. But he's directed his derision solely at "people who come here". That's why he doesn't have a job.

I personally have no opinion on his firing, but that's the reason why he's unemployed.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, Rindiculous said:

I 100% agree.  While I may not have been the biggest fan of Cherry over the years, the comments he made were overblown.  Because such an uproar was made over these comments must mean that there is some truth behind them.

I don't 100% agree, have loved Don over the years, he loves Canada and kids, supports our military and you have to love a guy like that. I am married to an asian and my kids are mixed race so I understand that his comments sometimes are over the top and can be considered bigot and racist. In the end he has done this to himself considering he lives in a multi cultural country like Canada he should have spoken more sensitively and chose not to. Times are changing and Cherry didn't want to change with them, must be his time to go.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

I guess I can't share my views on this because I already got a warning point from this thread. Fair enough, this isn't a political platform anyway.

RIP coaches corner

If you can summon up the ability to speak like a mature human you're free to share your views. Just keep the profanity out of it.

• Cheers 4

2 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

@gurn The other thread was closed while I was in the middle of replying. So I'll just dump my reply in here.

Your comment ----- I don't get the outrage. Don never mentions race at all so all this is about the phrase "you people".

If this is the new standard for dismissal, all I can say is thank, christ, alllah,  and all the other imaginary sky fairies, I'm really close to retiring.

That said Don should have retired quite a while back.

Reply ---

It wasn't just "you people", that could mean anyone. He says "you people that come here". When he says that he's not referring to tourists visiting Banff. It's clearly a reference to immigrants.

If he's pissed at the declining numbers of people who wear poppies that's fine. No one's going to take issue with that. But he's directed his derision solely at "people who come here". That's why he doesn't have a job.

I personally have no opinion on his firing, but that's the reason why he's unemployed.

I hope all those that are outraged over Cherry’s firing (I’m a Cherry fan but agree with your stance in that he did it to himself), are just as outraged at those born and raised Canadians that aren’t wearing a poppy. Because I have sure seen a lot of people not wearing them and I can guarantee they are not all immigrants. 

4 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

I don't 100% agree, have loved Don over the years, he loves Canada and kids, supports our military and you have to love a guy like that. I am married to an asian and my kids are mixed race so I understand that his comments sometimes are over the top and can be considered bigot and racist. In the end he has done this to himself considering he lives in a multi cultural country like Canada he should have spoken more sensitively and chose not to. Times are changing and Cherry didn't want to change with them, must be his time to go.

Exactly! I love Cherry too but if one doesn’t adapt to change they’re going to be left behind.. Choice is all theirs. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Bell said:

Sportsnet has been firing their higher paid staff as of late, and this was the opportunity to fire their highest paid on air talent.  What he said was stupid, but he has been saying stupid chit for years.  

Your right it wasn't that bad its just the cherry on the cake, no pun intended

I have a ton of respect for what the man did for hockey but this was long overdue. For years he has just been rambling on and has edged up on crossing the line countless times. It's not his fault that he says what is on his mind. My pop is about the same age, and he has stupid, borderline racist things constantly just to try to get a rise out of people. End of an era, but it was necessary. Enjoy retirement Don.

2 minutes ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

Exactly! I love Cherry too but if one doesn’t adapt to change they’re going to be left behind.. Choice is all theirs. 

Yes but the change is decided on by profit margins and the loudest in the outrage mob - this is no way to create an inclusive society.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1