The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Don Cherry Fired

Rate this topic

b3.

1 hour ago, SabreFan1 said:

A month or two ago I came across an article that studied people who were seen as continually being outraged over social issues.  When they were given scans, the reward center of their brain would go into overdrive. 

Those kind of people seeking to be offended on the behalf of others because they get pleasure from it are why the term SJW was created. 

I notice that in every thread that someone expresses being offended, there are others who express their being offended by the others being offended.

I bet that if scans were done on people who are outraged at other peoples outrage a similar result would occur. There are people on both sides of the fence waiting for either something to be offended by or to be offended by others being offended; and on it goes.

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

What exactly is this SJW movement? Are there membership cards? Meetings? Pledges of allegiance? Local chapters? International governing bodies? Or is the term SJW just a kind of dog whistle to rally opponents of, well, social justice? Perhaps you would prefer social injustice? As far as I can see there are extremes at either end of the spectrum. Try for the common ground and go from there, but if you insist on labelling those who disagree with you SJWs, you are being just as militant as the people you disparage. Then nobody can hear each other over the shouting. Let's all try a little tolerance and recognize that not agreeing with your world view isn't bad or evil or stupid, it is just different and labelling it with some nebulous catch all term doesn't help anyone.

nope would just prefer a world where you can actually express an opinion without being attacked because someone somewhere is offended by it.

• Like 2

Cherry should have been canned years ago.  He is just a gimmick.  If your main selling point is the suits you wear, you clearly don't have much to sell.  I stopped watching Coaches Corner years ago because I knew exactly what he was going to say before the suit commercial had ended.  He always appealed to the lowest common denominator, brought very little insight to the game and was like that drunk uncle at a wedding that wants everyone to know what a great success he could have been.  Good riddance.

Now if Roger's Sportnet want a replacement there would be no one better than Mr Rick Bowness.  Widely respected around the NHL by players, GMs and fans.  Years of experience.  When I've heard him speak on radio or TV he always comes across as a classy guy.  He would be my vote.  But of cause, Rogers has to decide whether they want pure entertainment or try a more cerebral option. 

• Wat 2

51 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Meanwhile on the flip side, it’s pretty easy to just label anyone who has different opinions than you an SJW and say they just want a reason to be offended.

You can have a different opinion, that's fine. You're naïve if you don't think there are groups of people out there looking for something to be offended by so they can rally together for "the cause"

3 minutes ago, Nucksfollower1983 said:

You can have a different opinion, that's fine. You're naïve if you don't think there are groups of people out there looking for something to be offended by so they can rally together for "the cause"

There are certainly those types out there. But you’re being intellectually lazy at best if you think every person who takes issue with something is just looking for an excuse.

2 minutes ago, danaimo said:

Cherry should have been canned years ago.  He is just a gimmick.  If your main selling point is the suits you wear, you clearly don't have much to sell.  I stopped watching Coaches Corner years ago because I knew exactly what he was going to say before the suit commercial had ended.  He always appealed to the lowest common denominator, brought very little insight to the game and was like that drunk uncle at a wedding that wants everyone to know what a great success he could have been.  Good riddance.

Now if Roger's Sportnet want a replacement there would be no one better than Mr Rick Bowness.  Widely respected around the NHL by players, GMs and fans.  Years of experience.  When I've heard him speak on radio or TV he always comes across as a classy guy.  He would be my vote.  But of cause, Rogers has to decide whether they want pure entertainment or try a more cerebral option. 

Naw, Cherry brought a lot of insight, just not in an X's and O's type way.  Our sport has a very rich history and he was a link to the past through his experiences.  When he stuck to hockey and told stories from when he played/coached, it was great.  I'll take that over listening to someone drone on about analytics.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

4 hours ago, BowtieCanuck said:

Wrong? Since when is trying to put everyone on a level playing field going to be wrong? The problem is the world is no longer catering to whites and white people are having an identity crisis over it.

White people were behind the Chinese Head Tax, the Komagata Maru fiasco and Residential Schools. We can't ignore the fact that racial injustice for several hundred years has almost exclusively been done by whites throughout the world.

no other culture has done anything  to any other culture?  have u seen the news lately   drug cartels in mexico  slaughtering people , hong kong  protests , the middle east  god know what is going on in korea , Syria  ,Africa  . china slaughtering monks in Tibet ,   your just being totally ignorant

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Yeah a number of "what ever happened to that guy?" came to die in a TV series filmed in Vancouver.:P

Remember "American Ninja"?

American Ninja was a series of terrible movies.  I think they made 3 or 4 of them.

It's cheaper to film in Vancouver than it is in LA/Hollywood.  If a studio wants to minimize it's financial risk, it uses lower level stars and films in Vancouver.  The CW films all of it's TV shows there for that reason.  Calista Flockhart even dropped out of one of their shows when production moved from being on CBS in LA/Hollywood to CW in Vancouver.

5 hours ago, BowtieCanuck said:

Wrong? Since when is trying to put everyone on a level playing field going to be wrong? The problem is the world is no longer catering to whites and white people are having an identity crisis over it.

White people were behind the Chinese Head Tax, the Komagata Maru fiasco and Residential Schools. We can't ignore the fact that racial injustice for several hundred years has almost exclusively been done by whites throughout the world.

I find this statement just a racist as anything else u are trying to say in ur post.  Racism does not just apply to non whites. Dont sit there and group all whites together if you are going to try and talk about being anti racist.  Some whites did those things,  I sure as hell didnt , so I find this just as offensive as others found Cherry s comments . I should not have to pay for things other whites did , just like other minorities should not either . 

Edited by cuporbust
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

American Ninja was a series of terrible movies.  I think they made 3 or 4 of them.

It's cheaper to film in Vancouver than it is in LA/Hollywood.  If a studio wants to minimize it's financial risk, it uses lower level stars and films in Vancouver.  The CW films all of it's TV shows there for that reason.  Calista Flockhart even dropped out of one of their shows when production moved from being on CBS in LA/Hollywood to CW in Vancouver.

1) Come on!  Everyone loved ninja movies in the 80s! :P  Classic 80s cheese!

2) Yeah "Arnold" was going to film a movie here as well but decided running for Governor of California might be a bit more difficult if he filmed a movie here instead of LA

3) I laughed when they had to "dirty up the alleys alot" for Jackie Chan's "Rumble in the Bronx" when that was filmed here  (heh, might not have to do that today).

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Haha 1