The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Don Cherry Fired

Rate this topic

b3.

3 hours ago, Maninthebox said:

If it is merely dumb then why are people offended?

You think it is somehow appropriate to take something out of context and yet argue that semantics are a cop out? Seems like the perfect excuse to justify complete ignorance, one of the defining traits of social justice activism.

Keep grasping here.  What he said was inappropriate.  

“Social Justice activism” is a convenient way of saying the majority of people don’t want to watch Don embarrass himself and the country slipping casual bigotry into hockey broadcasts anymore.  If Rogers/Sportsnet thought Cherry was worth the money they’d have kept him around like they have the dozens of other times he’s said offensive crap.  Times have changed and he’s not worth putting up with anymore.  It’s not capitulation to political correctness or some left-wing conspiracy - it’s multi-million dollar companies reading the room. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

The man clarified what he was trying to say afterwards and the explanation was good enough for me.  Show me a guy who's never said something that didn't come out quite right and had to explain what he meant wasn't the worst possible interpretation, and I'll show you a man who's always been single.

Legit funny.

nice work Hef

• Upvote 2

On 11/12/2019 at 1:34 PM, Heretic said:

We're a country that says it's okay for a Prime Minister to have worn a "brown" face and believes the only good Prime Minster is one with Quebec descent.

If you voted Liberal - and hate what Cherry said - you're a hypocrite.

My take - I liked Cherry - when his comments were Hockey based.

He crossed the line on Saturday - and crossed it further making a comment later that he stands by what he said.

I fully agree with Sporstnet on firing him.  

that's a totally different circumstance and what trudeu did in the past has nothing to do with him today, add to the fact people were ok with it.

6 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

Keep grasping here.  What he said was inappropriate.  

“Social Justice activism” is a convenient way of saying the majority of people don’t want to watch Don embarrass himself and the country slipping casual bigotry into hockey broadcasts anymore.  If Rogers/Sportsnet thought Cherry was worth the money they’d have kept him around like they have the dozens of other times he’s said offensive crap.  Times have changed and he’s not worth putting up with anymore.  It’s not capitulation to political correctness or some left-wing conspiracy - it’s multi-million dollar companies reading the room. 

Inappropriate is a long fkn way from bigoted, prejudiced, and racist. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

that's a totally different circumstance and what trudeu did in the past has nothing to do with him today, add to the fact people were ok with it.

Trump and Clinton say hi.

Some people may have been okay with it - but I doubt everyone was.

3 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

If you're trying to convince people you're not a racist perhaps you could have picked a better venue for an interview. 

Tucker Carlson :lol:

doesn't this idiot hate Canada? whats Don doing on this tripe show :picard: someone please go save Don from more embarrassment. 

• Upvote 1

“ You people that come here, whatever it is, you love our way of life, you love our milk and honey, at least you can pay a couple bucks for a poppy or something like that," Cherry said during Saturday’s Coach’s Corner segment. "These guys paid for your way of life that you enjoy in Canada, these guys paid the biggest price." 

Then...

“ I don’t regret anything that I said. I wish I had of said it different, I wish I said ‘everybody’ instead of ‘You people’, I should have said everybody.  I still believe everybody should wear a poppy. Everybody, I don’t mean one or two. I still say downtown Toronto and Mississauga, they did not wear a poppy. I don’t back down one bit saying that.”

If he was right, this is then an interesting social question. 

Once people are done outraging, maybe there is a discussion to be had concerning the heritage and values of Canada not being observed by new Canadians, who definitely enjoy the milk and honey set forth by a people that came before them.

Is Canada’s host culture changing as the demographics change from immigration? 

Are there behaviours to support this? 

Edited by 189lb enforcers?

39 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

doesn't this idiot hate Canada? whats Don doing on this tripe show :picard: someone please go save Don from more embarrassment. 

Your convictions are showing. 

Its interesting to look to the language used to express ourselves in here for clues as to how others perceive things. I’m not sure I’ve seen you use this kind of language before, not that I’m an expert on your vocabulary. :P

4 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

If you're trying to convince people you're not a racist perhaps you could have picked a better venue for an interview. 

Tucker Carlson :lol:

I predicted this, Cherry on Fox news, Stupid move by Cherry just shows his true colours. Tucker Carlson is a scumbag and Fox news is a right wing racist so called news station who has no business involving themselves in Canada's business. What respect I had for Cherry is now gone.

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

He's now beyond saving, ruining is legacy for sure. This could cost him alot of respect in Canada foe sure

33 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Your convictions are showing. 

Its interesting to look to the language used to express ourselves in here for clues as to how others perceive things. I’m not sure I’ve seen you use this kind of language before, not that I’m an expert on your vocabulary. :P

did I ever hide them? I'm literally a card carrying Liberal.

I use that language because I hate seeing Don get used by slimy US media, it makes me a little sad for Don tbh. 

• Upvote 1