The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Don Cherry Fired

Rate this topic

b3.

23 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Is that what he said? Are you sure?

"When asked whether he thought Canada was "better served when there are more Quebecers in charge than Albertans," Trudeau replied, "I'm a Liberal, so of course I think so, yes. Certainly when we look at the great prime ministers of the 20th century, those that really stood the test of time, they were MPs from Quebec. There was Trudeau, there was Mulroney, there was Chrétien, there was Paul Martin. We have a role. This country, Canada, it belongs to us.""

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-campaign-forced-to-address-2010-comments-on-alberta-1.1241750

There was an actual video of an interview (in French) somewhere that I saw - but I can't find it now.

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, Heretic said:

"When asked whether he thought Canada was "better served when there are more Quebecers in charge than Albertans," Trudeau replied, "I'm a Liberal, so of course I think so, yes. Certainly when we look at the great prime ministers of the 20th century, those that really stood the test of time, they were MPs from Quebec. There was Trudeau, there was Mulroney, there was Chrétien, there was Paul Martin. We have a role. This country, Canada, it belongs to us.""

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-campaign-forced-to-address-2010-comments-on-alberta-1.1241750

There was an actual video of an interview (in French) somewhere that I saw - but I can't find it now.

Is Paul Martin French Canadian?

It looks to me like someone who has an opinion on who the best PMs were. I don't see him saying that "The only good PMs are French Canadian".....

That being said, you seem to have your mind made up that JT is a bigot and I think you're dead wrong, so we might as well leave it at that.

3 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I've always wondered what those look like....

...I picture a red and green color scheme, with a picture of a soybean and a latte and a culturally diverse group of people in the background, equally divided between male, female and gender neutral....

you forgot about the standard apology on the back. 

2 hours ago, Heretic said:

Pretty clear from the photo in the article that it wasn’t Justin Trudeau who said that, but it was actually Evil Twin Justin Trudeau, so therefore the PM gets a pass. ;) 

165CCF67-704F-47D8-B974-0C548A076B7C.jpeg.5022c519d734a5346ed29522eed0ead3.jpeg

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Is Paul Martin French Canadian?

It looks to me like someone who has an opinion on who the best PMs were. I don't see him saying that "The only good PMs are French Canadian".....

That being said, you seem to have your mind made up that JT is a bigot and I think you're dead wrong, so we might as well leave it at that.

"this country belongs to us" - IE, not English Canadians.  Not Immigrants.  This country belongs to French Canadians.

I'm not saying JT is a bigot, I'm saying there are a lot of hypocrites out there.

2 minutes ago, Heretic said:

"this country belongs to us" - IE, not English Canadians.  Not Immigrants.  This country belongs to French Canadians.

I'm not saying JT is a bigot, I'm saying there are a lot of hypocrites out there.

JT is arrogant, bigot is a stretch. But he wasn't wrong, the most influential PMs have been from Quebec. 

2 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Say what? :huh:

3 hours ago, Heretic said:

Ah - so it's okay to be a bigot as long as you apologize for it?

Got it.

19 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Imagine the horrors these souls faced in the wars. 

And what life was like for them at home if they lived.

The families these people raised or were part of also share a common disaster. 

An entire generation was ruined, spawning a trickledown into today. 

I don’t think many people appreciate how awful war is, not really. 

Cherry surely had that part inside of him and his blundered message. 

I just watched world war 2 in color the battle of midway segment.  I totally get where cherry is coming from after watching that episode of how these pilots knew they were going to die, (american pilots) and I also have a family member who fought in the war.  the best thing was for him to just remind all Canadians to get a poppy, or better yet just stick to hockey to be safe.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

On 11/12/2019 at 6:51 PM, Ray_Cathode said:

I have. My dilemma was that he was a combination of good and bad, had he been all alcoholic with no virtues, it would actually have been easier as a child - it is the virtues that draw you close enough as a child for the vices to hurt you, then, as an adult I could begin to appreciate the brutal childhood that he survived, and the horrifying consequences of even living through a war where most of your cohort did not survive.  Then, as an immigrant, to arrive in Canada, desperately needing work - my parents were only allowed to bring a hundred pounds out of England because of post war currency controls - and the signs hung on the outside of places of employment said, “Men wanted, Englishmen need not apply.” This was because of what was called, ‘Remittance Men’ - the children of the wealthy and the connected that fled to Canada to avoid the war and who survived on remittances sent from British parents to young men avoiding service while the Canadian boys were sent to Britain to fight, risk maiming or death while the rich and connected Remittance Men sat it out. Later, he would see the refugees from other nations well treated - it had an effect. I guess everyone has their stories of unequal treatment - that affected my father, so I learned from observing him to never become dependent on booze or drugs, to be involved in my children’s lives, and to never allow other people’s opinions of me to ever affect me.

Thanks for the reply.  First I heard of the Remittance Men, learn something every day.   Life was a lot harder for everybody back in those days.

I used to read comic books when I was young.  The G.I Joe stories ended with a logo...War is Hell.

You are good man and I enjoy your posts.

2 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

agreed.  this one is a rather sensitive subject and because of this it made canuck fans fight against canuck fans.  canuck fans shouldn't be up against canuck fans that trash is only on hfboards, everyone had their one say? ok lets move on now.

This forum will always have disagreements on it regardless of what the topic is. Cherry has ruffled people's feathers the wrong way for a long time, in today's world anything you said can get spun in various directions....technology has been great but this social media banter and pointing out every little mistake is too much for this guy