The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Don Cherry Fired

Rate this topic

b3.

1 minute ago, gurn said:

Why, there are some immigrants/and non immigrants too, not wearing poppies and it didn't save Dan's job did it?

no it didn't, although I do think a better timed apology might have. 

I guess it will come down to whether or not her audience is upset or not. 

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

That hyperbole is a byproduct of social media itself. That's a stretch for sure.

I really hate this "yeah but my side" stuff that social media generates. Both Don and Jesse were wrong. Both need to make it right. 

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, ReggieBush said:

From the thread I created....

Skip to 00:34 for the start of her spiel.

In my humble opinion, this is way worse than what Donald S. said given the context of the situation. Just curious to see if she will get fired or if she will be held to a different standard.

Thoughts?

@Bob.Loblaw I am responding to you

Currently 73% of Canada's population is "White". This number is becoming smaller and smaller (which I am happy about). We are beginning to see an influx of minorities that are playing hockey and getting drafted. Look at the Canucks and Jett Woo. Akil Thomas is a guy I know pretty well who plays for the Ice Dogs, is another one. Matt Dumba, Nazem Kadri, Mathiue Joesph, Anthony Duclair, GIvani and Gemel Smith, Darnell Nurse, the Subban family. We aren't there yet, but the numbers are growing. Do I beleive that there are gay players in the NHL? Yes, I am certain of it. But lets think about how many athletes have come out in the NBA, MLB, or the NFL? I am not LGBTQ+ so I cannot comment on why nobody has come out, to pin this just on Hockey culture is a straw man argument. And yes I would spend more to get my kid into hockey if he/she wanted too. My maternal grandparents were immigrants coming from families of +10 siblings and did so for my mother and aunt. It is how I was raised and are part of my values.

she wont be fired because she is a women

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

:picard: what a steaming pile. 

My favourite one is the person claiming to work "multiple jobs" to put two 4 year old through hockey. 

typical libreal responce . When a liberal says something disgusting on tv they don't deserve to be fired, but if someone else who is not a liberal does the same thing they deserve to be fired.

Just now, Squamfan said:

typical libreal responce . When a liberal says something disgusting on tv they don't deserve to be fired, but if someone else who is not a liberal does the same thing they deserve to be fired.

whats that now? who said what when?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Well, Cherry explained what he meant to say, and admitted that he should have used different wording. And he's 85 years old. He paid a price for his mistake.

Jess Allen made an egregiously stupid and racist comment and is seemingly allowed to do so because of the political climate in Canada.

If what Cherry said gets him fired, than what Allen said should get her fired. That is...if things were equal.

the only thing I'd add is she should get a chance to apologize and correct it, as I think Don also deserved. 

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Not these days. The extremist ideologues want blood. 

Don got axed on a stat holiday before he had a chance to clarify what he meant and let the public discourse settle. Sad. Of course sportsnet will say they gave him a chance to apologize and grovel to their feet like Ron did.

let the clickbait titles begin  

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/other/don-cherry-debacle-highlights-the-whiteness-of-hockey/ar-BBWL5fO?ocid=spartanntp 

• Like 1