The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Don Cherry Fired

Rate this topic

b3.

Just now, canuck73_3 said:

Speaking for myself, Cherry used a poor choice of words but I don't think he should have been fired imo. However if that's now the standard she should be fired too because you can't have it both ways. 

Just for the record, I thought her comments were &^@#ing stupid and if she loses her job over them, oh well. 

But for everyone in the "everything is equal" camp, is she also a Canadian icon who's had a habit of making bigoted statements towards hockey players/white folks for 35+ years?

1 hour ago, canuck73_3 said:

If Cherry is fired she should be too, can't have these double standards imo. 

exactly  you start screaming for equality ( which I am all for )  but then you make a very similar remark  , well you should be fired too  remember you wanted equality too  ,  

Edited by the grinder
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Just for the record, I thought her comments were &^@#ing stupid and if she loses her job over them, oh well. 

But for everyone in the "everything is equal" camp, is she also a Canadian icon who's had a habit of making bigoted statements towards hockey players/white folks for 35+ years?

The remarks should be what the decision is solely based on. Much like Cherry, she had a platform and made divisive comments.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The remarks should be what the decision is solely based on. Much like Cherry, she had a platform and made divisive comments.

Do you think it was solely the one comment Cherry made that got him fired? Or do you think it was that comment also dredging up his long, sordid history of making similar comments in the past? 

I also think if Cherry has just come out Sunday and said "Sorry, I got too fired up about a topic I'm very passionate about and misspoke. Every Canadian should wear a poppy!", he'd still have a job; but he chose not to. 

Edited by HerrDrFunk
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Does she work for Rogers too? that I guess would at least give us a real common basis to ask for similar treatment. 

Not really impressed by her clarification tho... 

Carcillo's comments are interesting, and at least from some real experience in the game. 

21 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Like I said yesterday, timing is everything. If she thought that it was the correct time to make a comment like that, she deserves to get fired. It is obvious that it wasn't and she lacked the foresight to see that. It is inexcusable.

It was a racist, ignorant comment made at the wrong time on a national stage.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Do you think it was solely the one comment Cherry made that got him fired?

You’d have to inquire with Sportsnet about that. I’d assume there was some leakage but he’s made stupid comments before and wasn’t fired. 

Or do you think it was that comment also dredging up his long, sordid history of making similar comments in the past? 

But Sportsnet kept him on though. They knew a cash cow when they saw one, until it was no longer profitable. 

I also think if Cherry has just come out Sunday and said "Sorry, I got too fired up about a topic I'm very passionate about and misspoke. Every Canadian should wear a poppy!" but he chose not to. 

Wasn’t he interviewed on Sunday regarding this and said just that? 

Maybe it was Monday. I don’t remember. 

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

You’d have to inquire with Sportsnet about that. I’d assume there was some leakage but he’s made stupid comments before and wasn’t fired. 

But Sportsnet kept him on though. They knew a cash cow when they saw one, until it was no longer profitable. 

I have to imagine, from Sportsnet's perspective, it was "Oh for &^@#s sake, again?". No, Cherry wasn't fired for similar comments in the past but does that give him free reign to continue to make those comments?

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Maybe it was Monday. I don’t remember. 

I could be mistaken, but I don't think he did any interviews until after he was let go. 

7 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Does she work for Rogers too? that I guess would at least give us a real common basis to ask for similar treatment. 

Who knows? Whomever hired her should look at her uninformed, racist, and moronic statement and treat it as such. Otherwise they’re enabling her bigotry. 

Not really impressed by her clarification tho... 

Not at all. There’s an air of self-righteousness in her explanation that seems eerily familiar to the words of the idiot who tweeted about the race and age of the victims of the Humboldt bus crash. 

Carcillo's comments are interesting, and at least from some real experience in the game. 

What were they? Carcillo is a pretty bright guy. 

• Cheers 1