Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Don Cherry Fired

Rate this topic


b3.
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 11/13/2019 at 9:30 PM, stanleysteamersmyl said:

Thanks for the reply.  First I heard of the Remittance Men, learn something every day.   Life was a lot harder for everybody back in those days.

I used to read comic books when I was young.  The G.I Joe stories ended with a logo...War is Hell.

You are good man and I enjoy your posts.

Well, thank you. Yeah, when I compare hurt feelings and whining with death and maiming and no complaint - it just seems like an entirely misplaced outrage.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don’t remember the last time I watched Coaches Corner and was surprised Cherry hadn’t been fired before. I could careless about the comments but it was funny when he defended his comments and mentioned the Irish and Scottish whom are white. 

 

I think I agree with the few people here that Ron a bish for selling out and letting his friend get fired.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

When DC was lets go, I was not surprised. He has said quite a few dumb things throughout the years imo and this must have bee the last straw for his employers.

 

I'm soo glad I don't do twitter etc. Seems to turn people into haters. I also believe those that spend a lot of time on these types of platforms don't represent the everyday person.

 

I came across this article this morning.

This makes me sad, then again I know these right wing folk don't represent all those on that side of the spectrum. My best friend is very right wing for example and he has always hated Cherry.

https://pressprogress.ca/don-cherrys-right-wing-fans-attacked-the-royal-canadian-legion-on-remembrance-day-for-being-disloyal-to-don-cherry/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Mackcanuck said:

 

Ron MacLean is a back stabbing piece of sh*t! I remember when HNIC let him go during a contract dispute. Cherry said no Ron then no me. How quickly MacLean thru him under the bus to save his $300,000 per year job was stunning. When he tried to get Alex Burrows thrown out of the NHL it was enough for me. The only reason I tuned into Coach's Corner was to watch Cherry. MacLean is fluff. I hope hockey players will start boycotting appearances on Home Town. I won't have any problem not tuning into Home Town as I don't now. It makes no dif what some person said on a CTV talk show. Their audience is likely less than 10 thousand nationwide. 

 

At a minimum SN should have Cherry on to say his goodbyes. Have it hosted by Cheech and Shorty or a quality guy like Jim Robson. Keep MacLean out! Bottom line is that Don Cherry is a patriot who reminds Canada each year of the sacrifices that the Great Generation made so that they can live the life they led. He has done this for decades. His efforts benefited thousands of vets. That is why they love the guy. 

Edited by Boudrias
  • Thanks 1
  • Hydration 2
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So this lady from some tv show goes on a rant, stereotypes hockey players and or the parents etc. Sorry I don't recall it all she was rude and ignorant couldn't watch the whole thing.

 

Does this lady not get any kind of suspension or something? #MeToo era now protects women from backlash but if a man does that...he gets fired? Cherry has always been the way he is, he said "You People" listen to his comments after saying I meant to say "everyone". He never said anything about a certain colour of skin or particular race, never mentioned the word immigrant. Like I said before this was exactly what Rogers wanted...a way to FIRE Don, letting him go in the off season would have made many upset, this gave them an easy way out and now they can not look bad for doing it.

 

Funny thing I don't get, Canadians elected a PM who does black face dress up, or the Liberal on the island who made a comment about natives. So how can people vote those kind of characters into office? 

 

Imagine if a guy was on TV going off about figure skating or some kind of female dominant sport or activity and made comments in line with hers...that crap would be eaten up by the media and social media warriors behind a screen... This world is just messed up!

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

So this lady from some tv show goes on a rant, stereotypes hockey players and or the parents etc. Sorry I don't recall it all she was rude and ignorant couldn't watch the whole thing.

 

Does this lady not get any kind of suspension or something? #MeToo era now protects women from backlash but if a man does that...he gets fired? Cherry has always been the way he is, he said "You People" listen to his comments after saying I meant to say "everyone". He never said anything about a certain colour of skin or particular race, never mentioned the word immigrant. Like I said before this was exactly what Rogers wanted...a way to FIRE Don, letting him go in the off season would have made many upset, this gave them an easy way out and now they can not look bad for doing it.

 

Funny thing I don't get, Canadians elected a PM who does black face dress up, or the Liberal on the island who made a comment about natives. So how can people vote those kind of characters into office? 

 

Imagine if a guy was on TV going off about figure skating or some kind of female dominant sport or activity and made comments in line with hers...that crap would be eaten up by the media and social media warriors behind a screen... This world is just messed up!

Me too movement, the PC police, and the SJWs are people wanting power.  They know controlling citizens’ words is the most power of all.  Every time one of those groups attack a public figure is them warning the rest of us to fall in line or have our lives ruined too.  They have wickedly extreme motives.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

So this lady from some tv show goes on a rant, stereotypes hockey players and or the parents etc. Sorry I don't recall it all she was rude and ignorant couldn't watch the whole thing.

 

Does this lady not get any kind of suspension or something? #MeToo era now protects women from backlash but if a man does that...he gets fired? Cherry has always been the way he is, he said "You People" listen to his comments after saying I meant to say "everyone". He never said anything about a certain colour of skin or particular race, never mentioned the word immigrant. Like I said before this was exactly what Rogers wanted...a way to FIRE Don, letting him go in the off season would have made many upset, this gave them an easy way out and now they can not look bad for doing it.

 

Funny thing I don't get, Canadians elected a PM who does black face dress up, or the Liberal on the island who made a comment about natives. So how can people vote those kind of characters into office? 

 

Imagine if a guy was on TV going off about figure skating or some kind of female dominant sport or activity and made comments in line with hers...that crap would be eaten up by the media and social media warriors behind a screen... This world is just messed up!

In line with hers and Carrillo.

 

i have two daughters in competitive gymnastics.  9 and 6 years of age.  Two girls have quit this year.  Coaches are tough.  The head coach has been giving my oldest grief for leaving early to go to soccer practice.  She calls her out in front of the entire group of girls .

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, riffraff said:

In line with hers and Carrillo.

 

i have two daughters in competitive gymnastics.  9 and 6 years of age.  Two girls have quit this year.  Coaches are tough.  The head coach has been giving my oldest grief for leaving early to go to soccer practice.  She calls her out in front of the entire group of girls .

Shouldn’t the focus of all children’s sports be fun?  

Edited by Alflives
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Should the focus of all children’s sports be fun?  

it should be...but parents and coaches get caught up thinking there athlete or kid will become a Millionaire athlete or Olympic star. Not all parents or coaches but they are out there. I remember playing hockey as a kid, coach had his son on the team...played him a ton. My dad had enough, walked over from the stands told the coach to rotate the lines and play all kids the same and stop playing his favourite son (who wasn't that great to be honest). Coach got intimidated, other parents applauded as my dad spoke to the coach and he listened. 

 

Will always remember that moment and when I have a kid in any sport I will go do the same damn thing. Its a Effin game....let the kids play and enjoy themselves and you know...be kids!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

it should be...but parents and coaches get caught up thinking there athlete or kid will become a Millionaire athlete or Olympic star. Not all parents or coaches but they are out there. I remember playing hockey as a kid, coach had his son on the team...played him a ton. My dad had enough, walked over from the stands told the coach to rotate the lines and play all kids the same and stop playing his favourite son (who wasn't that great to be honest). Coach got intimidated, other parents applauded as my dad spoke to the coach and he listened. 

 

Will always remember that moment and when I have a kid in any sport I will go do the same damn thing. Its a Effin game....let the kids play and enjoy themselves and you know...be kids!

Team sports can be great.  A lot of us have been on teams including myself.  But I also subscribe to individual sports especially outdoor sports.  Competition vs self and being able to adapt to natural surroundings is important imo.  Facebook kind of works against this, but accomplishing goals on your own by yourself, for yourself, with nobody around will build confidence and resolve imo.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, ItsAllOursBoys said:

 After all, where was the meltdown over the 3 Trudeau blackface videos? Where were all the social justice warriors screaming for his head? All we heard was crickets, then they voted for him at the ballot box. 

That is the thing tho, enough people voted him in still. I didn't not vote for him because he did what some say is a racist by dressing up for Halloween or a party...I mean at the end of the day isn't Halloween or a dress up party kind of a way of letting lose, not being yourself and going as whatever you want!?

 

Personally, dressing up as another race to me isn't racist. If you do dress up that way and act a certain way sure it can be seen that way without a doubt. People in this modern era with technology now all seem to have a voice and an opinion on EVERYTHING and they nit pick all the little things that someone does, says, posts etc. Remember the days before all this techy stuff....they were good ones!

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, ItsAllOursBoys said:

Cherry should have/could have said his piece in a more constructive way.  That being said, the social media meltdown of snowflakes screaming for his head is not only ironic, but hypocritical. After all, where was the meltdown over the 3 Trudeau blackface videos? Where were all the social justice warriors screaming for his head? All we heard was crickets, then they voted for him at the ballot box. 

 

Case of selective outrage I think!

Cherry should have released his platform earlier and should have clarified some of the vague promises he made. He also should have clarified his stance on some of the hot button issues.

 

A corporation chose to fire Cherry. Whether it was all from public pressure or if they were waiting for an opportunity, only they know for sure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...