The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Kovalchuk done in LA?

HerrDrFunk

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

LE is going to retire after his bonus July 2020.  No way do we want to trade him for something worse, like Kovi's

We hope he does retire. I wouldn't count on it. 

But it seems he might.  Team will send him a signal ride the bus in Utica or retire.

• Like 1

Just now, WHL rocks said:

We hope he does retire. I wouldn't count on it. 

But it seems he might.  Team will send him a signal ride the bus in Utica or retire.

IMO there is already an agreement between JB and LE that we keep him on the big club and LE will retire after that July bonus.  Otherwise, why is LE up here?  

On 11/12/2019 at 7:32 PM, apollo said:

Hopefully... but LA has got out of deals in very shady manner in the past. 

Like Mike Richards... they somehow vetod the 5 years at $5,750,000 the year he had 16 points in 53 games. He was an extremely negative asset that they somehow just got full off the books.... because he crossed the border with pills?! 

He still has a cap recapture penalty like we do with luongo....and they have to pay him around 8 mill of his 22 mill remaining on contract. Players union agreed to terms after some back and forth.. 

He had a long known drug abuse problem. LA mgmt was very close to terminating his contract the summer before he got busted at the border.

He talked them into giving him one more chance.. relapsed and got caught.  So obviously they are going to try to get out of that deal.  Union would fight it but LA had just cause..

if Loui had a drug problem and got caught at border with pills  you bet JB would terminate his contract... He'd be doing cartwheels.

Edited by WHL rocks

27 minutes ago, Alflives said:

IMO there is already an agreement between JB and LE that we keep him on the big club and LE will retire after that July bonus.  Otherwise, why is LE up here?  

I've said similar things before but you never know until the fat lady sings..  he only has 4mill after next July bonus so it would make sense.

Buy out next summer might make more sense depending if he doesn't retire.

Edited by WHL rocks

23 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

He still has a cap recapture penalty like we do with luongo....and they have to pay him around 8 mill of his 22 mill remaining on contract. Players union agreed to terms after some back and forth.. 

He had a long known drug abuse problem. LA mgmt was very close to terminating his contract the summer before he got busted at the border.

He talked them into giving him one more chance.. relapsed and got caught.  So obviously they are going to try to get out of that deal.  Union would fight it but LA had just cause..

if Loui had a drug problem and got caught at border with pills  you bet JB would terminate his contract... He'd be doing cartwheels.

He got caught with like pain killers. What LA did was an absolute joke.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, peaches5 said:

He got caught with like pain killers. What LA did was an absolute joke.

It wasn't his first go around. He'd had substance abuse issues for long time. Since his Philly days...

If you get caught illegally smuggling pain killers same thing will happen to you.. you would lose your job unless it's a labour job or something like that..

Contracts have clauses that the player has to behave in a certain way and be respectable in society.. criminal charges break the contract

They sill paid him almost  half of what he was owed if he played the contract out..his contract was front loaded so last 3 yrs we're low salary higher cap like Luongo..

LA still paying cap recapture penalty even this season. 

I think he got a very fair deal. They treated him very good.  

17 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

I've said similar things before but you never know until the fat lady sings..  he only has 4mill after next July bonus so it would make sense.

Buy out next summer might make more sense depending if he doesn't retire.

5.67M buyout cap hit for the 1st year then 3.67M + 2 years at 667K.  That 1st year would be more than if he gets buried in Utica.  

A buyout a year later in summer 2021 is a buyout cap hit of 4M followed by 1M.

Edited by mll
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

It wasn't his first go around. He'd had substance abuse issues for long time. Since his Philly days...

If you get caught illegally smuggling pain killers same thing will happen to you.. you would lose your job unless it's a labour job or something like that..

Contracts have clauses that the player has to behave in a certain way and be respectable in society.. criminal charges break the contract

They sill paid him almost  half of what he was owed if he played the contract out..his contract was front loaded so last 3 yrs we're low salary higher cap like Luongo..

LA still paying cap recapture penalty even this season. 

I think he got a very fair deal. They treated him very good.  

Who first prescribed him the pain killers? A lot of athletes deal with chronic pain and the majority of athletes in contact sports take copious amounts of painkillers. He wasn't caught with illegal drugs he was caught with oxy.

Also, I don't recall it going down as you described. LA immediately cut him after he was caught at the border. They didn't allow him to play an additional year. He had a terrible year and then as soon as they saw something they could potentially use to cut him they did. The fact LA settled tells you that they knew there was a very good chance that they'd lose in court.

Edited by peaches5

15 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

Who first prescribed him the pain killers? A lot of athletes deal with chronic pain and the majority of athletes in contact sports take copious amounts of painkillers. He wasn't caught with illegal drugs he was caught with oxy.

Also, I don't recall it going down as you described. LA immediately cut him after he was caught at the border. They didn't allow him to play an additional year. He had a terrible year and then as soon as they saw something they could potentially use to cut him they did. The fact LA settled tells you that they knew there was a very good chance that they'd lose in court.

I'm not sure where you read LA let him play another year. I didn't make that claim..

The summer before he got busted they had a talk with him. The GM flew to see Richard at his summer home.  Spent a couple of days. Wanted to release him he didn't say or I don't recall may be buy him out.. but didn't do so because he wanted to give him one more chance after having talked to him. The GM went in tv gave am interview I watched. He was genuine . 

Shortly there after Richard got caught .  And the pills weren't prescribed to him. They'd be his meds and no issues if they were his prescription.  They were illegally purchased.. 

"Just Oxys"?  Vast majority illegally sold Oxys  have fentanyl in them. The most dangerous drug out there past several yrs..

Anyways he had coke issues for many yrs. It was well known. 

It was a long term ongoing issue. Not just getting caught with pills at the border.

He still got 9 mill I think. Out of 20.. he's happy. He want going to finish that contract anyways. He was struggling on and off the ice.  It was a matter of time..

I think LA was very fair to him...

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

LE is going to retire after his bonus July 2020.  No way do we want to trade him for something worse, like Kovi's

No one in their right mind who can still skate and defend, leaves that much money on the table, however retrospectively unjustified their salary is.

Edited by Me_

15 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

I'm not sure where you read LA let him play another year. I didn't make that claim..

The summer before he got busted they had a talk with him. The GM flew to see Richard at his summer home.  Spent a couple of days. Wanted to release him he didn't say or I don't recall may be buy him out.. but didn't do so because he wanted to give him one more chance after having talked to him. The GM went in tv gave am interview I watched. He was genuine . 

Shortly there after Richard got caught .  And the pills weren't prescribed to him. They'd be his meds and no issues if they were his prescription.  They were illegally purchased.. 

"Just Oxys"?  Vast majority illegally sold Oxys  have fentanyl in them. The most dangerous drug out there past several yrs..

Anyways he had coke issues for many yrs. It was well known. 

It was a long term ongoing issue. Not just getting caught with pills at the border.

He still got 9 mill I think. Out of 20.. he's happy. He want going to finish that contract anyways. He was struggling on and off the ice.  It was a matter of time..

I think LA was very fair to him...

First off, you absolutely made that claim second your opinion is not fact let me make that clear and your recollection of how things went down is not accurate at all. LA had been trying to get rid of Richards for years but not because of a drug abuse problem; Lombardi was calling him out for being out of shape and lack of effort. He tried to trade him and then put him on waivers sending him to the AHL for the majority of the season before his contract was terminated. Then in June he got caught at the border with Oxy and was immediately terminated. He was rumoured to be getting his contract bought out. Lombardi found what he thought was a loophole to terminate his contract without getting penalized. The only part that I recalled wrong was the NHL stance on this. Many of the teams were outraged over LA getting the settlement with the NHL over the cap hit but NHL says if they took it to court there was a possibility that LA could win the case so they decided settling was better than fighting.

2 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

First off, you absolutely made that claim second your opinion is not fact let me make that clear and your recollection of how things went down is not accurate at all. LA had been trying to get rid of Richards for years but not because of a drug abuse problem; Lombardi was calling him out for being out of shape and lack of effort. He tried to trade him and then put him on waivers sending him to the AHL for the majority of the season before his contract was terminated. Then in June he got caught at the border with Oxy and was immediately terminated. He was rumoured to be getting his contract bought out. Lombardi found what he thought was a loophole to terminate his contract without getting penalized. The only part that I recalled wrong was the NHL stance on this. Many of the teams were outraged over LA getting the settlement with the NHL over the cap hit but NHL says if they took it to court there was a possibility that LA could win the case so they decided settling was better than fighting.

Quote me where I said LA let him play after that bust at border...their whole premise to terminating the contract was him getting busted.. how could they let him play a year then use that excuse?  It would have zero legal credibility.. 

Doesn't make sense ..

And ofcourse it's my opinion they treated him well. He got 9 mill. This not type of thing that is fact or fiction. 

In my opinion they treated him well. He might feel they didn't as may you... That's your opinion. Opinions are subjective ... 

Any ways I'm going to leave it there.. I know you can't quote me saying he played a year more after being busted at border.. that would be silly for them to use that excuse and have no legal grounds to stand on...

19 minutes ago, Me_ said:

No one in their right mind who can still skate and defend, leaves that much money on the table, however retrospectively unjustified their salary is.

Depends. If the team suggests to you that you will only get that money riding the buses in the AHL you may consider retiring. I'm of the thought that LE is retiring after his bonus is paid this July as well. He will leave the game as an NHLer. The alternatives aren't pretty for him.

How can we say no to the bestest, most winningest, multi cup Russian player in the histo...

wait...

riiiiiight.

Kovalchuk hasn’t won anything worthwhile and has pursued money all his life.

At least Ladd has a couple of Cups...

Edited by Me_

2 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Your post is saying he relapsed and this was all about some drug related issues that he had struggled with in his career. You're saying LA gave him one more chance. That is completely false. They sent him to the AHL because they didn't want to buy him out and were trying to trade him.

17 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Quote me where I said LA let him play after that bust at border...their whole premise to terminating the contract was him getting busted.. how could they let him play a year then use that excuse?  It would have zero legal credibility.. 

Doesn't make sense ..

And ofcourse it's my opinion they treated him well. He got 9 mill. This not type of thing that is fact or fiction. 

In my opinion they treated him well. He might feel they didn't as may you... That's your opinion. Opinions are subjective ... 

Any ways I'm going to leave it there.. I know you can't quote me saying he played a year more after being busted at border.. that would be silly for them to use that excuse and have no legal grounds to stand on...

You incorrectly recall 90% of how something went down and based your opinions off of that and then say its not about fact or fiction. You just make up whatever you want to fit your narrative. There is being subjective and then there is being delusional. I have opinions on this yes but it's based off the facts not off of things I made up.

@peaches5

Yup not seeing where I said he played for a year with kings after getting busted at border.  What you're quoting does not say that.. lol.. are you drinking.??

Because I'm surprised how you can misread the part you highlighted. You're putting words in my mouth which I did not say..  not even close.. what you quoted does not say what you claim I said.. either drinking or smoking weed ?  

On the how it went down I'll go with the what Dean Lombardi said on tv on an interview which I watched with my own eyes and heard with my own ears..

You don't have to believe it.. cheers...

Edited by WHL rocks

@peaches5

Here read this. Looks like my memory was pretty good. Especially considering its been 4 or 5 yrs....  He clearly talks about repeatedly meeting Mike talking to him and how he was played by Mike...

Just like I remembered and said Lombardi went to see Richard in offseason spend time and talk he did.. he goes into detail.. he compared the lies to a cheating wife and how hurt he was by Richards lies...

https://www.latimes.com/sports/kings/la-sp-sn-kings-settlement-mike-richards-termination-20151009-story.html

3 hours ago, mll said:

5.67M buyout cap hit for the 1st year then 3.67M + 2 years at 667K.  That 1st year would be more than if he gets buried in Utica.  

A buyout a year later in summer 2021 is a buyout cap hit of 4M followed by 1M.

And he'd get his bonuses. Aqua wouldn't save much in real money or the cap..

So buy proof contract.

They might as well just let him play.  They have no chance to make the playoffs this year or next anyways, and nobody will trade for him.  LA just needs to suck it up.

No point for them to trade for LE, it just means they suck for year 3 too.  Which they probably will regardless.  I like having the Kings last place.