The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

☆Discussion☆Kovy for Louie!

Friedman Twitter announced that Ilya Kovalchuk was told he will not play with the kings anymore, he may continue to practice with the team.

What are the odds a Kovalchuk for Eriksson swap comes to life?

Louie has 3 years and Ilya has 2 and makes 250k more.

Next season could be very interesting!?

Miller Pettersson Boeser 

Podkolzin? Horvat Kovalchuk?

Ferland Gaudette Virtanen 

Roussel Beagle Macewan

Hughes Myers 

Edler Juolevi 

Benn Tryamkin? 

Please Discuss the pros cons etc

Edited by GhostsOf1994
Tags

At first glance, I kind of like it. Not sure why, Kovalchuk's best days are way behind him. I know the Canucks need one more weapon in the Top 6, as Baertschi, Leivo, Pearson etc just won't cut it if they want to be playoff contenders. I guess we know what we have in Loui, and it isn't very good. Could Ilya somehow, someway resurrect his elite play? What if?

Kovalchuk - Pettersson - Boeser

Virtanen - Horvat - Miller

I'd probably rather see this than Loui slothing away on the 4th line. Canucks have enough 4th liners. Kovalcuk does have 9 points in 17 games this year. Not too shabby. 

It's gotten to the point where most of us expect little to no offense from Loui but most recognize the defensive game that has always been a calling card of his. Kovalchuk on the other hand has proven offensive chops at the NHL and KHL levels. He's got a year less on his contract but it's a 35+ contract. One could argue that Kovalchuk's production is in part a reflection of the team he's on, LA has scored 43 goals which is only more than Detroit (42), New Jersey (42) and Columbus (40). The Kings are not a good team and they lack depth up front and on the back end, their primary offensive drivers ain't getting any younger either with Kopitar (32), Kovalchuk (36), Brown (35) and Carter (34) leading the charge. Almost nobody's looked good in LA this season. 

Both players would have to agree to any trade. I also question what it'd take for us to get LA to swallow an extra year of Eriksson. 

Loui pro's

-Defensive game

-Decent speed

-Swedish 

-The devil we know 

-Has by all indication been a good teammate in spite of him butting heads with Green a bit

Loui con's 

-His offensive game has clearly deteriorated, why is a matter of debate but I'll point fingers at age and injuries

-One more year than Kovalchuk

-He's got a NTC

Kovalchuk pro's

-He's got a history of producing at the NHL and KHL level

-One year less than Loui

-Kovalchuk con's

-Questionable speed

-Where does he fit if he isn't productive

-NMC

-35+ contract

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 2

A NMC kills this proposal. 0% chance we take a NMC before the expansion draft unless it's an insanely good deal for us. 

EDIT: His NMC contract ends right at the expansion draft, so it's irrelevant for that purpose.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

A NMC kills this proposal. 0% chance we take a NMC before the expansion draft unless it's an insanely good deal for us. 

Would it matter?

It's an expiring contract going into the expansion draft.  I can't recall if under the Vegas rules if they would have to protect such a contract.

Edit:  I looked it up.  They do not have to protect players with NMCs if the contract is about to expire.

Edited by goalie13
  • Thanks 2

I'd do it in a heartbeat, given the last year is where the cap crunch happened.  LE called out his coach in the offseason and responded by continuing to float after Green allowed him to waste more icetime.  Even if Kovy never plays a minute, it's an improvement over this useless malcontent.

LE should have been suspended without pay on the spot after the garbage he spewed in the off-season.  There is literally zero reason this bum should be allowed to disgrace the Canucks jersey ever again with his pitiful excuse for effort.

How is Kovalchuk's hockey IQ, vision, awareness etc? I know he's very skilled, but I wonder if he's on the same level of thinking the game as Pettersson, that could possibly be a thing. He's not doing great in LA, but none of them are. Maybe he's just mailing it in in La La Land. Collecting his big paycheque and then going to the beach. Maybe if he was put in a position to play with players like Pettersson and Boeser. he would find the game exciting again. Can't be too exciting in LA this year. Also, when his contract expires, Hoglander and Podkolzin step in, and Loui's still a King lol  

Edited by NUCKER67
  • Haha 1

I was just thinking that a fresh start, new teammates, a few young fellow countrymen would help both Ilya and Louie.

Louie is near legendary in sweden? Could He help A.Kempe ? Grundstrom? 

He likely won't score 10+ goals but his D and P.K is higher then most, likely play more on the king's along with McClellan's system. 6 million as a healthy scratch or 6 mill for a body and helps the team compete?

Ilya is top 6 or bust, zero effort on D side.

Maybe he could help lure Podz and Tryamkin sooner then later? Ilya is a legit legend in Russia, maybe goldy and podz looked up to him?

Both teams aren't playing either player currently, kings could use some help on pk.?

Canucks need legit help for Horvat, who know's maybe Podz fits with Pettersson and Ilya as the trigger man. That would leave Miller & Boeser with Horvat!:o

Edited by GhostsOf1994

40 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

Would it matter?

It's an expiring contract going into the expansion draft.  I can't recall if under the Vegas rules if they would have to protect such a contract.

Edit:  I looked it up.  They do not have to protect players with NMCs if the contract is about to expire.

Is that right?  Guess we basically can't lose then.  Low risk (unlikely to retire, shorter term albeit for more $$) and potential high reward (could resurrect his career with either Pete or Bo, potential weapon).  I'd drive Loui to the airport myself.

2 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Is that right?  Guess we basically can't lose then.  Low risk (unlikely to retire, shorter term albeit for more $$) and potential high reward (could resurrect his career with either Pete or Bo, potential weapon).  I'd drive Loui to the airport myself.

It does make sense.

Why should a team have to honour and protect a NMC when there are only days left in the contract?  Whether he gets selected or not he would still be UFA on July 1st and the NMC would be irrelevant.  It's not like he would be forced to pick up and move between the expansion draft and July 1st.

11 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

You would think Vancouver would have to add a fairly significant plus for L.A. To take on the extra year of $6m dead cap space 

Probably wouldn’t be dead cap space. Eriksson is playable just bad value. LA doesn’t want to play Kovy because he’s not playing defence. I heard today 5v5 he’s 4 goals for and 15 goals against.

• Wat 1

19 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

You would think Vancouver would have to add a fairly significant plus for L.A. To take on the extra year of $6m dead cap space 

It depends on who else is interested in Kovalchuk and what LA would have to take back. Kovalchuk's on their books whether he plays or not thanks to that 35+ contract. Even if he retires his cap will still factor. In Loui they'd at least have someone who could help prevent goals against and a body one the ice. If LA's truly not interested in playing Kovalchuk something's gonna have to give eventually, you don't pay someone a shade over 6.2 to sit indefinitely when they're healthy. 

Lot of teams are in a cap crunch, LA's probably looking at a sideways move at best. 

Edited by Coconuts

6 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Probably wouldn’t be dead cap space. Eriksson is playable just bad value. LA doesn’t want to play Kovy because he’s not playing defence. I heard today 5v5 he’s 4 goals for and 15 goals against.

Naw, Eriksson has no place in an NHL lineup.  There's at least 5 guys on the Comets who should be playing over this piece of trash.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

It depends on who else is interested in Kovalchuk and what LA would have to take back. Kovalchuk's on their books whether he plays or not thanks to that 35+ contract. Even if he retires his cap will still factor. In Loui they'd at least have someone who could help prevent goals against and a body one the ice. If LA's truly not interested in playing Kovalchuk something's gonna have to give eventually, you don't pay someone a shade over 6.2 to sit indefinitely when they're healthy. 

Thing is. It’s not indefinitely, his contract is up after next season.  If they don’t see Ericksson being worth his contract they may prefer to take their lumps this year and next year then be done with it. 

I'm a pragmatist, send Louie back to Sweden and Kovalchuk back to Russia.

That is the end game.

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

Naw, Eriksson has no place in an NHL lineup.  There's at least 5 guys on the Comets who should be playing over this piece of trash.

I'd love to see MacEwen up between now and Rousell's return.