The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

☆Discussion☆Kovy for Louie!

2 hours ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Friedman Twitter announced that Ilya Kovalchuk was told he will not play with the kings anymore, he may continue to practice with the team.

What are the odds a Kovalchuk for Eriksson swap comes to life?

Louie has 3 years and Ilya has 2 and makes 250k more.

Next season could be very interesting!?

Miller Pettersson Boeser 

Podkolzin? Horvat Kovalchuk?

Ferland Gaudette Virtanen 

Roussel Beagle Macewan

Hughes Myers 

Edler Juolevi 

Benn Tryamkin? 

Please Discuss the pros cons etc

For one reason, I would make that deal in a heartbeat.

Even though his contract is 250k more per season, its only for 2 years.

We can manage this year and next, with projected salary cap, The crunch for us comes in year 3 where we have Pettersson and Hughes to sign.

I'd propose to Los Angeles:

To Vancouver:

Kovalchuk

7th round pick

to Los Angeles:

Eriksson

4th round pick

I think that's a pretty fair offer, and it lets us out of a bad situation, one year earlier.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, the grinder said:

lol ok so your suggesting the kings  are going to swap loui plus gaudette  to have an extra 6 million dollar cap hit for 2 years  , when they can just buy kovy out next year

Buyout doesn’t save them cap since it’s a 35+ contract.  It would save them a bit of cash though 

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

It's gotten to the point where most of us expect little to no offense from Loui but most recognize the defensive game that has always been a calling card of his. Kovalchuk on the other hand has proven offensive chops at the NHL and KHL levels. He's got a year less on his contract but it's a 35+ contract. One could argue that Kovalchuk's production is in part a reflection of the team he's on, LA has scored 43 goals which is only more than Detroit (42), New Jersey (42) and Columbus (40). The Kings are not a good team and they lack depth up front and on the back end, their primary offensive drivers ain't getting any younger either with Kopitar (32), Kovalchuk (36), Brown (35) and Carter (34) leading the charge. Almost nobody's looked good in LA this season. 

Both players would have to agree to any trade. I also question what it'd take for us to get LA to swallow an extra year of Eriksson. 

Loui pro's

-Defensive game

-Decent speed

-Swedish 

-The devil we know 

-Has by all indication been a good teammate in spite of him butting heads with Green a bit

Loui con's 

-His offensive game has clearly deteriorated, why is a matter of debate but I'll point fingers at age and injuries

-One more year than Kovalchuk

-He's got a NTC

Kovalchuk pro's

-He's got a history of producing at the NHL and KHL level

-One year less than Loui

-Kovalchuk con's

-Questionable speed

-Where does he fit if he isn't productive

-NMC

-35+ contract

He fits on the bench, for one year less than Loui :)

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

A NMC kills this proposal. 0% chance we take a NMC before the expansion draft unless it's an insanely good deal for us. 

Expansion draft if the following summer, Kovalchuk's clause is NTC after this season, but it also expires 2 weeks after the expansion draft. Moot point

1 hour ago, goalie13 said:

Would it matter?

It's an expiring contract going into the expansion draft.  I can't recall if under the Vegas rules if they would have to protect such a contract.

Edit:  I looked it up.  They do not have to protect players with NMCs if the contract is about to expire.

Thanks--I was uninformed on the matter and for some reason didn't do the math to realize that his contract would be up.

11 minutes ago, the grinder said:

lol ok so your suggesting the kings  are going to swap loui plus gaudette  to have an extra 6 million dollar cap hit for 2 years  , when they can just buy kovy out next year

Personally I wouldn't do it if I was the Kings, but we need to be exploring every avenue possible to get rid of our $6 million floater.

24 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Thing is. It’s not indefinitely, his contract is up after next season.  If they don’t see Ericksson being worth his contract they may prefer to take their lumps this year and next year then be done with it. 

It's definitely possible that he'll just sit out indefinitely or that they'll work their $&!# out. And you're likely right in that we'd have to add for LA to consider a swap, especially being divisional rivals. I'm just not sure it'd be as big an add as people might expect given that they'll be sitting a healthy player they're getting absolutely nothing out of. 

35 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Probably wouldn’t be dead cap space. Eriksson is playable just bad value. LA doesn’t want to play Kovy because he’s not playing defence. I heard today 5v5 he’s 4 goals for and 15 goals against.

That's the thing, I don't think he's as interested in the defensive side at this point. Loui may not be putting up offence but you typically don't have to worry about him being on the ice. I haven't been watching Kovy, but for LA to tell him he won't play even if he is the 4th highest scorer on their team this year is pretty telling.

LA was trying to swap contracts with Toronto in the off-season.  They were willing to take Marleau's higher cap hit if they could get rid of a longer contract with a lower cap hit.  The reasoning was that LA is rebuilding and don't need the cap space immediately but feel they will in a couple of seasons.  

If that's still true it's doubtful they'd have interest in Eriksson as he has an additional year and a buyout would spread over 4 seasons.  If Kovalchuk retires or is bought out they will have his 6.25M cap hit for just one year and then be done with it.

Don't think Eriksson is the type of player they would want either.  LA has an intensity issue - see McLellan's rant after one of their recent losses.  He also talked of how some guys can't play in the league anymore because the game has passed them by. 

An Eriksson for Kovalchuk swap might also help guys like Tryamkin and Podkolzin assimilate better if and when they come to Vancouver.    

As others have mentioned, maybe Kovy would get excited about hockey again playing in an old familar role.     Kovy's presence on the top line could then allow Miller to play with Horvat, and get Horvat going.

Having said all that, I still likely wouldn't make this deal.       

I still think Eriksson will retire from the NHL after this season.    31 of the 36 million will have been paid to Eriksson after July 1st 2020.     5 million is still 5 million, but I don't think Eriksson would be willing to ride buses for two years just to collect that relatively small amount of money.

Edited by Hindustan Smyl

1 hour ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

An Eriksson for Kovalchuk swap might also help guys like Tryamkin and Podkolzin assimilate better if and when they come to Vancouver.    

As others have mentioned, maybe Kovy would get excited about hockey again playing in an old familar role.     Kovy's presence on the top line could then allow Miller to play with Horvat, and get Horvat going.

Having said all that, I still likely wouldn't make this deal.       

I still think Eriksson will retire from the NHL after this season.    31 of the 36 million will have been paid to Eriksson after July 1st 2020.     5 million is still 5 million, but I don't think Eriksson would be willing to ride buses for two years just to collect that relatively small amount of money.

Green will probably never play Kovalchuyk - he doesn't play defence and isn't even bringing intensity on the ice.  Why do you think McLellan doesn't want to play him anymore.  He has 9pts so far which is 4th on their team.  He's unlikely to fit the Canucks' culture.

Edited by mll

30 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Can some look at the bonuses and actual money owed and tell me what the numbers  are now...…..

I just did not understand what each was owed for the remaining part of their contracts

When are the bonus's paid?

It's contract dependent and can be split in several instalments.   Most do pay it all on 1 July but not the case here.

Kovalchuk apparently gets his final bonus payment in December per LeBrun's tweet - unclear how much of the 5.3M signing bonus has already been paid.  He is then owed 700K for the rest of the season or rather the pro-rata of 700K.  

Next season he will have no signing bonus and has a salary of 4.25M.  

CapFriendly Eriksson: https://www.capfriendly.com/players/loui-eriksson

His signing bonus of 4M was already paid in July so he is owed 1M for the rest of the season or rather 1M pro-rated to whatever is left of the season.  42 days have gone by on a 186 day season.  

Next season he gets a 3M bonus in July and then 1M for the rest of the season.

In 2021/22 he has a signing bonus of 1M and 3M in salary. 

So 8M for the next two seasons + pro-rata of 1M for this season.

• Thanks 1