The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

☆Discussion☆Kovy for Louie!

Kovalchuck has been a .5 point per game for the past 2 seasons, including the games he has played this season..

most of the seasons before this, he has been a 1 point per game player or better.

Kovalchuck is still a serviceable veteran,  and if you consider the fact that he has been limited to a 4th line role, and has had Willie Desjardins as his Coach,.  He can probably contribute more, with a better opportunity.

Eriksson comes no where near him in player comparisons.

21 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Kovalchuck has been a .5 point per game for the past 2 seasons, including the games he has played this season..

most of the seasons before this, he has been a 1 point per game player or better.

Kovalchuck is still a serviceable veteran,  and if you consider the fact that he has been limited to a 4th line role, and has had Willie Desjardins as his Coach,.  He can probably contribute more, with a better opportunity.

Eriksson comes no where near him in player comparisons.

Totally agree but Erikson is going to retire after this season.  

On 11/13/2019 at 12:15 AM, BrockBoester said:

Pro: No Eriksson

Con: Kovalchuk on our team

As a side note, I love that everyone thinks that the more Russian players we have, the more likely it is that Tryamkin comes back. :D

Well duh of course it would.

Tryamkins buddy is Goldy....

Goldy and Podz likely look up to a legend like Ilya.

Tryamkin and his wife were reported to be homesick, having fellow countrymen in a foreign country makes things alot easier.

Didn't Washington have Sergei Fedorov for Ovechkins rookie year?

Didn't Atlanta Thrashers acquire, Antropov and Kozlov to help Ilya?

Didn't Mario Lemieux stay to mentor Crosby in his rookie season?

Panarin being Russian and having a strong Russian community and many Russian teammates in NYR didn't contribute to signing in NY?:picard:

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Well duh of course it would.

Tryamkins buddy is Goldy....

Goldy and Podz likely look up to a legend like Ilya.

Tryamkin and his wife were reported to be homesick, having fellow countrymen in a foreign country makes things alot easier.

Didn't Washington have Sergei Fedorov for Ovechkins rookie year?

Didn't Atlanta Thrashers acquire, Antropov and Kozlov to help Ilya?

Didn't Mario Lemieux stay to mentor Crosby in his rookie season?

Panarin being Russian and having a strong Russian community and many Russian teammates in NYR didn't contribute to signing in NY?:picard:

Sounds like russian propaganda to me

Well, been thinking about this

The way I see it right now is

Benning keeps Eriksson on the big club for the next 2 1/2 seasons hoping Eriksson will retire

Eriksson on the other hand, will sit and collect his money for 2 1/2 more seasons

Nothing other than our wishing has changed, he still thinks he can play, and he can on a 4th line, and for 6 million a season

Why should he retire?

Kovalchuk, is (not) playing on a rebuilding team, but he has shown he can still score...….something Eriksson can not do

So, worst case scenario......Kovy sits in the press box, which is no worse than what Eriksson is doing

Worse case scenario, Kovy retires at the end of next year...one year before Eriksson

Best case, he plays on one of the first 2 lines and scores 50/60 points. Something Eriksson isn't and can't do.

Proposal

Kovy 

for

Eriksson and Jasek

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Well, been thinking about this

The way I see it right now is

Benning keeps Eriksson on the big club for the next 2 1/2 seasons hoping Eriksson will retire

Eriksson on the other hand, will sit and collect his money for 2 1/2 more seasons

Nothing other than our wishing has changed, he still thinks he can play, and he can on a 4th line, and for 6 million a season

Why should he retire?

Kovalchuk, is (not) playing on a rebuilding team, but he has shown he can still score...….something Eriksson can not do

So, worst case scenario......Kovy sits in the press box, which is no worse than what Eriksson is doing

Worse case scenario, Kovy retires at the end of next year...one year before Eriksson

Best case, he plays on one of the first 2 lines and scores 50/60 points. Something Eriksson isn't and can't do.

Proposal

Kovy 

for

Eriksson and Jasek

Pretty sure we’d have to add more to it to get LE off the roster - but that’s the spirit.   Worse case scenario we will have to do what TO did and trade a first to get rid of him his last season ...  that would really suck but we will need the cap space just like they did.   Think we have decent odds of him retiring before that though - fingers crossed.

With Ladd (33) also joining the list of guys getting sent to the AHL for “conditioning stints” (burying guys) -I think that if we had a healthy roster and Roussel was back that LE would be sent too.   Can’t imagine him not going their in the next 12 months at some point.   Maybe he will play our his contract, maybe he won’t- a fair amount of guys with front loaded contracts have retired before they were playing for peanuts (relatively).   Again I think they worse case scenario is we have no choice but to pay a first and cap dump him like TO did with Marleau - but it won’t happen this year - maybe at the end of the next one when EP and Hughes are up ...

9 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

So what happens if we let him move back to Sweden and play in the SHL (on Loan) and pay him to scout, as a player/scout?

I don't think that is any worse than some others have done

Loaning him to the SHL is the same cap hit as sending him to Utica.  

2 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Contracts are written to be broken

Need to have a cause to break a contract.  Doesn't seem like Eriksson is looking to retire.

He is represented by JP Barry from CAA.  They are one of the most powerful agencies in the league.  Doubt Benning wants to get in conflict with them over Eriksson.

Edited by mll

7 hours ago, mll said:

Loaning him to the SHL is the same cap hit as sending him to Utica.  

Need to have a cause to break a contract.  Doesn't seem like Eriksson is looking to retire.

He is represented by JP Barry from CAA.  They are one of the most powerful agencies in the league.  Doubt Benning wants to get in conflict with them over Eriksson.

Nah, I only meant that they might agree to the change in scenery

On 11/16/2019 at 4:33 PM, janisahockeynut said:

So what happens if we let him move back to Sweden and play in the SHL (on Loan) and pay him to scout, as a player/scout?

I don't think that is any worse than some others have done

Why would we let him be comfortable wasting our money?  Let him rot in Utica or retire.

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

Why would we let him be comfortable wasting our money?  Let him rot in Utica or retire.

Oh no, I would send him down, don't get me wrong...but that still costs us 6 M per year

He actually has to retire  to save us money

Something just came to me, as I type

What if Benning has agreed to keep Eriksson up, and to not embarrass him

then pay him his 4 million next summer, then he retires

and that is the only way Eriksson will agree to retire

It kind of handcuffs Benning, but I would do it

I bet Benning would to