The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Andrew Ladd

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Ladd is done, but he will continue to play in the AHL until his contract is up.  LE will retire after his July 2020 bonus is paid.  LE will not get sent to the minors.  He has a gentleman's agreement with JB/ Aquilini to stay with the big club, and retire after that 2020 bonus.  

I dunno about that, if he produces he'll get another shot. The Isles will want him to succeed, they're paying him regardless. Burying him in the minors doesn't save them much. 

I'm just not interested in us taking on term. Even if NYI were to save some of his salary I still wouldn't swap the two because of how salary comes off the books for us.

Loui's contract expires at the same time as Luongo's recapture, which will free up 9m. 

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

What a free agency day that was...

so my question is, who won the FA that year?

Clearly it wasn't any of the above teams, Jim also signed Chaputie, Megnna and P Larsen so he did got out GMed large and small.

Yannick Weber is still playing in Nashville, as is matt Irwin, Eric Staal, Colton Scevior??? there must have been a good signing there somewhere.

Any thoughts?

3 minutes ago, lmm said:

Clearly it wasn't any of the above teams, Jim also signed Chaputie, Megnna and P Larsen so he did got out GMed large and small.

Yannick Weber is still playing in Nashville, as is matt Irwin, Eric Staal, Colton Scevior??? there must have been a good signing there somewhere.

Any thoughts?

You answered it.

The teams that did not sign those stupid high contracts to old players won.

It seems JB learned because our big trade this summer was for a 26 year old big strong forward. And he signed another in free agency for only 4 years. And he signed a D that was younger too.

So JB won this summer....but was part of the losing GMs in 2016 imo.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

You answered it.

The teams that did not sign those stupid high contracts to old players won.

It seems JB learned because our big trade this summer was for a 26 year old big strong forward. And he signed another in free agency for only 4 years. And he signed a D that was younger too.

So JB won this summer....but was part of the losing GMs in 2016 imo.

I was actually wondering if there is consensus  on which deal is the best of that year.

1 player- 1 GM -one team

It could be 2 or more players I guess, but 1 GM- 1 team

I'ma go with Nashville Weber and Irwin unless I find better

much rather have Ladd on our 4th line vs LE. Issue is, Ladd has that additional year. So unless the NYI retain and or give us a pick or prospect doesn't make sense for us to trade for him. At least he doesnt have a NMC like Lucic for the upcoming expansion draft down the road

5 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Ladd's a warrior and a leader. Would rather have him than Eriksson if he didn't have that extra year.

Hopefully he gets another shot elsewhere.

it wouldn't be bad if the buyout was OK, but its pretty much the same as Loui's. In fact Loui's is about 300k cheaper if he's bought out of his last year at 4 mil cap hit. 

5 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Ladd's a warrior and a leader. Would rather have him than Eriksson if he didn't have that extra year.

Hopefully he gets another shot elsewhere.

The Ladd of old would have been exactly the type of player that Lou Lam would want on his team. The fact that he's being kicked to the curb like this, even though the team has plenty of cap space, is pretty damning evidence that he is simply not that player anymore.

Now JB, go make a trade proposal with the Islanders!!!

He scored 11 points in 26 games last season, +3... not as useless as Erkisson... albeit an injury ridden season...

Ladd, Ho-Sang and a 2nd for Eriksson, Goldobin!! Win-Win for both teams.. why not??  Get it done!!!!!!!!!!!  

Edited by Virtanen#18
  • Wat 1

20 hours ago, lmm said:

Any thoughts?

Eric Staal was a good signing for Minnesota.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Virtanen#18 said:

Now JB, go make a trade proposal with the Islanders!!!

He scored 11 points in 26 games last season, +3... not as useless as Erkisson... albeit an injury ridden season...

Ladd, Ho-Sang and a 2nd for Eriksson, Goldobin!! Win-Win for both teams.. why not??  Get it done!!!!!!!!!!!  

Ladd has an extra year on his contract.  It's worse than LE's.  Plus, Ladd will play in the minors.  LE won't.  He will retire first.  Keep LE until his July 2020 bonus is paid, and then he's retiring, and his 6 mil comes off the books.  And the terrible years of LE (much like Messier) will be forgotten.  

56 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Ladd has an extra year on his contract.  It's worse than LE's.  Plus, Ladd will play in the minors.  LE won't.  He will retire first.  Keep LE until his July 2020 bonus is paid, and then he's retiring, and his 6 mil comes off the books.  And the terrible years of LE (much like Messier) will be forgotten.  

haha except the Messier years have a half life longer than the Neely trade.

Its part of our lore, " when I was a kid we walked to school in the snow in bare feet, watched Canuck hockey 3 times a year, lost the first lottery, traded Cam Neely, lost the cup to the Rangers then signed Mark Messier...6x6"