The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What band from the classic rock era do you hate

SixtyMinuteMan

2 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Joni Mitchell is a Canadian treasure....and who cares if it was "folky"...a great song is a great song and she wrote (and performed) a lot of them.

Absolutely agree. Her decade of work from the late 60's to late 70's(for me) was basically unparalleled. Songs/lyrics that just seem to never lose their power.

Just now, Nuxfanabroad said:

Absolutely agree. Her decade of work from the late 60's to late 70's(for me) was basically unparalleled. Songs/lyrics that just seem to never lose their power.

A while back I was in a discussion about the most iconic Canadian songs of all time....

There were a few consensus tunes, like Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah and Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald by Gordon Lightfoot, but I'd say Big Yellow Taxi absolutely belongs in that conversation and Ladies of the Canyon is definitely a classic Canadian album.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

A while back I was in a discussion about the most iconic Canadian songs of all time....

There were a few consensus tunes, like Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah and Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald by Gordon Lightfoot, but I'd say Big Yellow Taxi absolutely belongs in that conversation and Ladies of the Canyon is definitely a classic Canadian album.

& it was cool how much of an autobiographical style she'd write in. That's a great album. Blue..Court & Spark..but lately for me it's Hejira. A kind soul put all 51 mins on youtube, & it's been there for a number of yrs. Neil Young pops in for some harmonica(Furry Sings the Blues), & it's her famous collaboration beginning with Jaco Pastorious.

There's a tribute tune for Amelia Earhart, which is one of the most unique numbers I've ever heard. The imagery is something only an accomplished painter could imagine. I doubt there's an album out there that's above this one, on lyrics alone.

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UxJvrD80nJ4&t=27s

39 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

Bruce Springsteen. I never liked most of his music. I find his voice annoying.

Ding Ding Ding.  Springsteen is terrible!  Can't stand stuff that hurts the ears, and that guy is the worst, or close to it.  Springsteen = :sick:

Good choice. 

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Ding Ding Ding.  Springsteen is terrible!  Can't stand stuff that hurts the ears, and that guy is the worst, or close to it.  Springsteen = :sick:

Good choice. 

oh man thems fightin words. Don't mess with the Boss. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I'm obviously too old for this thread....

Supertramp....Led Zeppelin...Queen...Journey....Styx...Rush....Pink Floyd.....Genesis....Aerosmith....

....I suppose I should be thankful that no-one has mentioned Kansas yet....:wacko:

Wayward son rocks but then what?

:P

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I'm obviously too old for this thread....

Supertramp....Led Zeppelin...Queen...Journey....Styx...Rush....Pink Floyd.....Genesis....Aerosmith....

....I suppose I should be thankful that no-one has mentioned Kansas yet....:wacko:

Good lord....zeppelin supertramp and floyd.....

i dont even wanna know what you like because theres clearly something wrong with your ears

On 11/16/2019 at 12:25 PM, higgyfan said:

No way!  He's one of my faves.  I was responding to the guy that had his HM of Yes, Steely Dan and Chicago, who I also like.

Thanks though.  Now I'm getting a reputation as a MK hater:shock:

To add, I was pretty sure you were saying that you were a fan of Knopfler. That's why I added the hunting gear joke. I don't think anyone should take another's taste in music personally. There's an amazing amount of music out there and we all can't like exactly the same stuff.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

To add, I was pretty sure you were saying that you were a fan of Knopfler. That's why I added the hunting gear joke. I don't think anyone should take another's taste in music personally. There's an amazing amount of music out there and we all can't like exactly the same stuff.

Yeah, for sure.  It's about genre as well.  If I don't like a certain style of music, it doesn't mean it is garbage.

You're right about the amount of music available to us; it's staggering. 

4 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

& it was cool how much of an autobiographical style she'd write in. That's a great album. Blue..Court & Spark..but lately for me it's Hejira. A kind soul put all 51 mins on youtube, & it's been there for a number of yrs. Neil Young pops in for some harmonica(Furry Sings the Blues), & it's her famous collaboration beginning with Jaco Pastorious.

Joni, Jaco, and Metheny was such a talented combo.

Staying on topic, I think it's The Beach Boys who I dislike the most. But then the drummer did star in Two Lane Blacktop which is a very cool movie so I'll have to pardon him (and only him) for his musical sins.

• Cheers 1