The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What band from the classic rock era do you hate

SixtyMinuteMan

35 minutes ago, nucklehead said:

c'mon boy tell us you feel...let it out

Fine. I loath the nevermind album, i loved nirvana when I was 15 but after coming home everyday for a year and a half and hearing smells like teen Spirit being blasted out from my sister's room it was unbearable. Even when Cobain was still alive I think he hated playing that song or got tired of it at least. Drain you on a plain litheum serve the servants. I'd have been ok with these tunes being blasted out. But not the same FU!!ING thing everyday.

Edited by DontFearTheReaper

1 hour ago, GLASSJAW said:

aerosmith

any and all hair metal 

2pac

At least you spelled it correctly....(unlike everyone else who listed them:rolleyes:)

Pretty surprised at some of the bands mentioned.....Led Zep, Styx, Rush, Eagles, Fleetwood Mac....:blink:

I dislike pretty much everything from the Grunge era, but as far as "Classic" rock bands go, The Stones are my most hated band. Great songwriters. They just should have had someone else perform them.

Also, Ronnie Wood is twice the guitar player that Keith Richards is.

Edited by RUPERTKBD

Rock and Roll is not the same as Rock Music

rock and roll
/ˈˌräk ən ˈrōl/
noun
a type of popular dance music originating in the 1950s, characterized by a heavy beat and simple melodies. Rock and roll was an amalgam of black rhythm and blues and white country music, usually based on a twelve-bar structure and an instrumentation of guitar, bass, and drums.

Rock and roll artists such as : Fats Domino, Lloyd Price, Ike Turner, Hank Williams, Joe Turner, Louis Jordan, Ray Charles, Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis, Chuck Berry, Bo Diddley, Buddy Holly - and Elvis Presley

Rock music evolved from 'rock and roll' but is not the same.

rock mu·sic
noun
a form of popular music that evolved from rock and roll and pop music during the mid and late 1960s. Harsher and often self-consciously more serious than its predecessors, it was initially characterized by musical experimentation and drug-related or antiestablishment lyrics.

Notable hard rock bands form the 1960s include The Who, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones, The Kinks and Steppenwolf.

OP: are you asking which band from the rock and roll era (1950s) or from the rock era (1960s )?

3 minutes ago, Just1CupBeforeIDie said:

rock and roll
/ˈˌräk ən ˈrōl/
noun
a type of popular dance music originating in the 1950s, characterized by a heavy beat and simple melodies. Rock and roll was an amalgam of black rhythm and blues and white country music, usually based on a twelve-bar structure and an instrumentation of guitar, bass, and drums.

Rock and roll artists such as : Fats Domino, Lloyd Price, Ike Turner, Hank Williams, Joe Turner, Louis Jordan, Ray Charles, Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis, Chuck Berry, Bo Diddley, Buddy Holly - and Elvis Presley

rock mu·sic
noun
a form of popular music that evolved from rock and roll and pop music during the mid and late 1960s. Harsher and often self-consciously more serious than its predecessors, it was initially characterized by musical experimentation and drug-related or antiestablishment lyrics.

Notable hard rock bands form the 1960s include The Who, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones, The Kinks and Steppenwolf.

OP: are you asking which band from the rock and roll era (1950s) or from the rock era (1960s )?

In general.

But on a personal note the fifties has been my favorite era of music since since the summer of 2014. Lately it's been anything goes within rock style music. 

PS one of the reasons I bought my fender Stratocaster last week was because it resembles the fender stratocaster that buddy holly used 

13 minutes ago, the grinder said:

the one classic rock guy I cant stand is meatloaf   just hate it   and don't ever see bob Dylan in concert  I couldn't tell what song he was singing because it all the sounded the same lol

Your right.

I saw Dylan live in 2008. 

Couldn't tell what song was what until the end when he did like a rolling stone.

4 minutes ago, Just1CupBeforeIDie said:

rock and roll
/ˈˌräk ən ˈrōl/
noun

rock mu·sic
noun

classic rock   60 70 80 90 rock  if it is 25 years old it is classic or vintage   thanks for the lesson in music history  

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

At least you spelled it correctly....(unlike everyone else who listed them:rolleyes:)

Pretty surprised at some of the bands mentioned.....Led Zep, Styx, Rush, Eagles, Fleetwood Mac....:blink:

I dislike pretty much everything from the Grunge era, but as far as "Classic" rock bands go, The Stones are my most hated band. Great songwriters. They just should have had someone else perform them.

Also, Ronnie Wood is twice the guitar player that Keith Richards is.

So true.  “All that you need” - the faces 

keef could never do that.

9 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Abba, Bee Gees, or any disco plastic crap. 

9 hours ago, Alflives said:

Bee Gees we’re good in the 60’s.  Disco is brutal.  

Alf gets it. @Ghostsof1915, like most people (and myself up until 2 years ago), I thought all they were was disco. The first 8 years of their career, they made music that was very like late Beatles music. And a lot of it is incredibly popular and recognizable, just nobody knows they were the ones who wrote them (ie: Turn of the Century, Holiday, World, To Love Somebody, Let there be Love, I Started a Joke, You’ll never see my face again, How Can you Mend a Broken Heart). It wasn’t until their 10th album in 1975, that they pivoted, reinvented themselves, and mastered another new form of music. Their pre-disco era music is outstanding.

—————

On another note. After 4 pages, how has NOBODY said The Doors? Utter garbage.

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, Monty said:

Alf gets it. @Ghostsof1915, like most people (and myself up until 2 years ago), I thought all they were was disco. The first 8 years of their career, they made music that was very like late Beatles music. And a lot of it is incredibly popular and recognizable, just nobody knows they were the ones who wrote them (ie: Turn of the Century, Holiday, World, To Love Somebody, Let there be Love, I Started a Joke, You’ll never see my face again, How Can you Mend a Broken Heart). It wasn’t until their 10 album in 1975, that they pivoted, reinvented themselves, and mastered another new form of music. Their pre-disco era music is outstanding.

Another similiar example is Genesis.  The Peter Gabriel era vs Phil Collins era.

I'm not THAT old so I'm not too familiar with the Gabriel Genesis stuff.  I wonder if fans of either are as divided as the Roth vs Hagar Van Halen fans.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Bringing on the heartbreak 

Whoa can't you see

(I think @riffraff must have just glitched for a second there)

I'm seeing lots of bands mentioned that I wouldnt really qualify as classic rock, but whatever.

I hate the eagles.

Rush is an interesting band. They're all incredibly gifted musicians from a technical perspective, but damned if they could write a song that wasn't annoying as &^@#. Like once Geddy Lee opens his mouth the whole thing just takes a sharp nose dive from pretentiousness to tragedy.

Edited by luckylager
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Whoa can't you see

(I think @riffraff must have just glitched for a second there)

I'm seeing lots of bands mentioned that I wouldnt really qualify as classic rock, but whatever.

I hate the eagles.

Rush is an interesting band. They're all incredibly gifted musicians from a technical perspective, but damned if they could write a song that wasn't annoying as &^@#. Like once Geddy Lee opens his mouth the whole thing just takes a sharp nose dive from pretentiousness to tragedy.

Neal Peart - a fantastic drummer - also gave me this Mike Gillis vibe.  Smart guy that wasn't afraid to tell you that he's smart.:P

• Haha 1