The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Article) Canucks’ Quinn Hughes a talent like Vancouver has never seen before

Rate this topic

3 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Lol

why, cause Hockey database says so? 

He first weighted in here at 6’2 and 3/4 and 2012 lbs. 

Maybe some kids might get sucked into the stats, but any of who were there know that none of Jovo, Brash or even Bert were 6’4, no matter what it says in some database. 

Same goes for a hundred guys in the league who are listed as 6’0 who aren’t even 5’11. Don’t believe everything you read. 10 bucks says any hockey card will back me up. They listed him as 6’3, even though he wasn’t quite there, eventually getting to 230lbs, eventually. For the longest time he was almost 6’3 and 222lbs, as a Canucks. 

I didn't have to read anything.  I saw how big Ohlund was... I was in the dressing room after games.

No way he was 212 lbs. 

There were two guys in the dressing room who looked MUCH bigger than everyone else... taller and heavier... those were Ohlund and Bertuzzi.

Just now, *Buzzsaw* said:

I didn't have to read anything.  I saw how big Ohlund was... I was in the dressing room after games.

No way he was 212 lbs. 

There were two guys in the dressing room who looked MUCH bigger than everyone else... taller and heavier... those were Ohlund and Bertuzzi.

You’re probably right about Öhlund and Bert. Öhlund was my favourite Canuck for many seasons. I know all about the guy, going back to his draft and his coming over, which is why I posted about his height. Unless he grew over an inch in his 20’s, I’m not wrong and others may remember his first weigh-in stuff because it was big, exciting news back then. 

I said he was 212lbs, “when he first weighed in here”, not while he was playing with Bert. Of course he put on weight, I said as much. He was an ox. 

He was a big dude, even as a young man, but he wasn’t 6’4 233lbs, while in Vancouver. 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Canucks’ Quinn Hughes a talent like Vancouver has never seen before....at least not since Ohlund.

Cant compare the two, they were completely different D-men. Ohlund provided a different kind of offence, but was mostly known for being physical. Hughes impact will be on moving the puck and creating offence with his skating and passes, hopefully his shot does develop, but I don't think he's going to ever be the physical presence Ohlund was. Different style of player. Erhoff and Hughes is a much close comparable

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

Toss a 3rd rounder Seattle's way to get them to leave our guy along.

Doubt we are even going to need to do that, Markstom is the guy thats going to be exposed. So far this season, I can't really say Markstrom this season has severely outplayed Demko. The gap has definetly closed  between the two

7 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

You’re probably right about Öhlund and Bert. Öhlund was my favourite Canuck for many seasons. I know all about the guy, going back to his draft and his coming over, which is why I posted about his height. Unless he grew over an inch in his 20’s, I’m not wrong and others may remember his first weigh-in stuff because it was big, exciting news back then. 

I said he was 212lbs, “when he first weighed in here”, not while he was playing with Bert. Of course he put on weight, I said as much. He was an ox. 

He was a big dude, even as a young man, but he wasn’t 6’4 233lbs, while in Vancouver. 

Correct.   He was usually listed either 6’2” or 6’3”.   Linden is 6’4” and it’s obvious when he stands next to his teammates including Ohlund (who was built like Probert).   Bieksa last night looked small compared to the other talking heads - and I’ve seen him listed 6’1” - on skates maybe - he’s under six feet - one “tale of the tape” described him as 6’3 and 225 lbs - maybe because he fought guys that big and regularly destroyed them or something.    The heights and weights are often exaggerated.   Ohlund wasn’t 6’4” / but looked like a transformer patrolling the blue line with those wide shoulders and thundering hits.  

As an aside I’ve met Demko - and he’s definitely a tall dude too.  Had to tilt my eyes up a bit - and don’t usually have to do that.  Definitely and inch or two above 6’2. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Bertuzzi44ever said:

Who is writing this crap?

first edler and Myers is one of the best pairings in the NHL.

i think that guy was drunk.

weve seen burr, the sedins, and ep got this article last yea rebut how Hughes is ? make up your mind you stupid click baiting article writer

What are you on about?  This is a series of quotes from a lot of the better/best defenseman we’ve ever had... I know you hate Myers - but try and keep it to just that one thing and away from the rest of the team.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Cant compare the two, they were completely different D-men. Ohlund provided a different kind of offence, but was mostly known for being physical. Hughes impact will be on moving the puck and creating offence with his skating and passes, hopefully his shot does develop, but I don't think he's going to ever be the physical presence Ohlund was. Different style of player. Erhoff and Hughes is a much close comparable

I was only referring to their talent level.  Much like EP and Bure were different kinds of elite players.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

1 hour ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

I know Makar had 4 assists, but Hughes was much better at controlling the game tonight.  Personally I felt he was one of our best dmans tonight.

Makar was a beast last night, COL won the lottery by losing - well EP would have also been a better pick then the first three.   QH was good too - but have to admit Makar looks like the real deal - passing was top notch all night.  EK is actually a pretty good comparable IMO, skates like him, shoots like him and passes like him. 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, IBatch said:

Makar was a beast last night, COL won the lottery by losing - well EP would have also been a better pick then the first three.   QH was good too - but have to admit Makar looks like the real deal - passing was top notch all night.  EK is actually a pretty good comparable IMO, skates like him, shoots like him and passes like him. 

Amen, brother from another. 

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Paul Reinhart. Phil Housley. Two comparables that come to mind.

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, IBatch said:

Agree, i love hughes but makar is on a diff level.   He made a bunch of nice defensive play as well. 

• Cheers 4

1 hour ago, jovocop55 said:

Agree, i love hughes but makar is on a diff level.   He made a bunch of nice defensive play as well. 

I dunno bout that.  I think u swap Makar and Hughes and Hughes leads the rookie scoring race.  Don't underestimate the advantage of playing with MacKinnon.

I'd say Mac is probably #2 or #3 in terms of best player in the world right now.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

17 hours ago, IBatch said:

At this rate, Makar might be also taking the Norris as well. His ppg clip might be way too hard to deny him of a Norris. Makar is basically Quinn Hughes with a vast more offensive arsenal

2 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

At this rate, Makar might be also taking the Norris as well. His ppg clip might be way too hard to deny him of a Norris. Makar is basically Quinn Hughes with a vast more offensive arsenal

And a much more developed offensive superstar to play beside in Nathan MacKinnon.. 

On 11/16/2019 at 11:08 PM, 189lb enforcers? said:

Wiki, hockeyDB, NHL, espn all have him listed as 6’4” 229-233.  
But you know better.