The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Article) Canucks’ Quinn Hughes a talent like Vancouver has never seen before

Rate this topic

2 hours ago, drummerboy said:

Wiki, hockeyDB, NHL, espn all have him listed as 6’4” 229-233.  

As does someone who saw him in the locker room regularly. But some posters, like 189, are determined to believe that they know better than anyone else, things that they couldn't possibly know. You'll notice that he doesn't provide any actual facts to back up his position.

Edited by WeneedLumme

Makar is definitely ahead of Hughes currently. However, keep in mind that Makar is basically a full year older and got one extra year of development. He also got to play with Mackinon, Rantanen and Landeskog in their prime, by just passing the puck to them on the PP he could rack up a bunch of points. I think these 2 are closer than people realize. Either way, you can’t go wrong with one or the other.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

As does someone who saw him in the locker room regularly. But some posters, like 189, are determined to believe that they know better than anyone else, things that they couldn't possibly know. You'll notice that he doesn't provide any actual facts to back up his position.

I know better than you, apparently, but whatever. Nice shot.

I know Ohlund better than most, no doubt about it. I’ve spent a lot of time on knowing about him in the past. He was my favourite Canuck of all time and I’ve memorized much of his early years here.

Don’t shoot the messenger if I’m not on par with what wiki tells you. 

Funny, none of my hockey cards have him at 6’4, yet these sites have him there I see. Interesting, but it doesn’t necessarily mean I’m wrong. 

Very well. I admit, the internet is right.

Then he’s 6’4. 

... and Salo is 6’5. 

C94DF79B-AFC3-4C77-A69C-31E97649768F.thumb.jpeg.6b1902b94f13234364695adc526cd74d.jpeg

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

I know Ohlund better than most, no doubt about it. I’ve spent a lot of time on knowing about him in the past. He was my favourite Canuck of all time and I’ve memorized much of his early years here.

mine too. Ohlund was a warrior that gave everything. His battles with Iggy were amazing, Ohlund gave every ounce. I wish he was a coach here. 

Hughes does reminds me a bit of like Jovo when carrying the puck.... but just not as quick and obviously not as big.  That being said, he doesn't seem to cough up the puck as much as Eddy.

In the offensive zone, he reminds me of Ehrhoff.  More than willing to dangle to make plays.  Accurate passing and a decent shot.  

In a couple of years when he's more experienced, a bit quicker and perhaps even tacking on another 15lbs of muscle... he'll be even a bigger threat on the ice.  

• Cheers 1

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

mine too. Ohlund was a warrior that gave everything. His battles with Iggy were amazing, Ohlund gave every ounce. I wish he was a coach here. 

Definitely a player who epitomized what the Ring was created for. 

Edler vs Ohlund isn’t even discussion worthy, IMO, that’s how much separation I perceive there was between their effectiveness as legends on the Canucks blueline. 

Because I was just a few years older that Ohlund, and exactly the same height, thought of myself as as physical, but much slighter, I latched onto his being drafted and lived out my fantasy-life through Ohlund. He was the type of player I wanted to be... and wanted for the Canucks. 

QH won’t be an Ohlund, but he will likely go down as one of our best Dmen and almost certainly will be it’s most offensive, modern-era wise (Sorry Paul R), by a mile. Hughes is already the most talented Canuck Dmen of all time, as far as I can make out, but I wasn’t much of a dedicated student of the game while PR was nailing down his legacy here either. 

Lumme was also an adventure-sport of a Dman, but he was effective for a while there, same goes for Jovo, but Jovo’s intangibles we’re through the roof. Coughing up Bure for him was painful. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

I don’t listen to people who claim to ‘be in the locker room’.  
If people want to have those claims taken seriously, let’s see some pics and names. 
Other than that,  nah. 

I saw 5 different sites say 6’4

25 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Edler vs Ohlund isn’t even discussion worthy, IMO, that’s how much separation I perceive there was between their effectiveness as legends on the Canucks blueline. 

Because I was just a few years older that Ohlund, and exactly the same height, thought of myself as as physical, but much slighter, I latched onto his being drafted and lived out my fantasy-life through Ohlund. He was the type of player I wanted to be... and wanted for the Canucks. 

QH won’t be an Ohlund, but he will likely go down as one of our best Dmen and almost certainly will be it’s most offensive, modern-era wise (Sorry Paul R), by a mile. Hughes is already the most talented Canuck Dmen of all time, as far as I can make out, but I wasn’t much of a dedicated student of the game while PR was nailing down his legacy here either. 

Lumme was also an adventure-sport of a Dman, but he was effective for a while there, same goes for Jovo, but Jovo’s intangibles we’re through the roof. Coughing up Bure for him was painful. 

you and I don't agree on much, but we sure do on Ohlund :lol:

I like Edler, he's been a solid 2nd pairing guy for a long time. Ohlund tho is in another category for the impact he could bring to a game. Its not a knock on Eddy, its just true. 

Hughes is going to be a lot like Housley. I don't think he'll have the goal totals but similar in impact and points. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Don’t shoot the messenger if I’m not on par with what wiki tells you. 

Funny, none of my hockey cards have him at 6’4, yet these sites have him there I see. Interesting, but it doesn’t necessarily mean I’m wrong. 

Very well. I admit, the internet is right.

Then he’s 6’4. 

... and Salo is 6’5. 

C94DF79B-AFC3-4C77-A69C-31E97649768F.thumb.jpeg.6b1902b94f13234364695adc526cd74d.jpeg

There’s plenty of photos with the crew next to each other.  He’s not as tall as Linden.   Bieksa still is listed as 6’1” on many sites too...good luck with that one.    Vernon was listed at 5’9” and he recently (within the past two years) came out and said he’s 5’7.   Always though Ohlund was a little over 6’2 - that was the data provided on the cards, magazines and what not at the beginning - he certainly didn’t look any taller.   That said it’s ok to believe what you want - and really what is a couple inches here or there - the way things have gone with hockey exaggerated heights has been around the sport for a long time.   Theo Fluery 5’4” - 5’7” for example.

3 hours ago, Lancaster said:

Hughes does reminds me a bit of like Jovo when carrying the puck.... but just not as quick and obviously not as big.  That being said, he doesn't seem to cough up the puck as much as Eddy.

In the offensive zone, he reminds me of Ehrhoff.  More than willing to dangle to make plays.  Accurate passing and a decent shot.  

In a couple of years when he's more experienced, a bit quicker and perhaps even tacking on another 15lbs of muscle... he'll be even a bigger threat on the ice.  

Absolutely - scouting reports had his competitiveness off the charts (5 out of 5 - where a 3 would be decent).   It’s one of the things that turned me around about this guy at the time (or at least gave me hope).   Adding 15 lbs to his frame and maybe an inch would go a lot way into helping his body absorb the punishment.   Heck we don’t know yet if even in these days where hitting has completely changed if he can survive an 82 game schedule.... his competitiveness should give him an edge - same with EP while he grows stronger.

Have to admit I’m with Babych on a few of our untested guys - come playoff time - and things revert to 1992-1994 (regular season games approx) before NJ won and the trap and interference took a massive leep,  how will guys like EP and QH manage?  Even Bear if he’s still around and Goldy for sure ... glad JB went out and insulated these guys with Pearson, Myers, Ferland, Beagle, Roussel and Miller...we will definitely need them.  Babych was a beast of man - considered the Tim Horton of our times  (leagues strongest man).  If Tryamkin comes back - and Chara retires - it would seem like full circle.

Edited by IBatch

3 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

With Ohlund, we never doubted his abilities or compete level.  He was a very effective defenseman and probably would have been in the running for a Norris if he had perfect vision and was on a better team.

With Edler... while he is easily the better defenseman, but he just drives you nuts with his play.  Sometimes poor decision-making, how he only sparingly played physical, and at times just looked like he was just mailing it in.  His peak was very high, but he only displayed it a few times (2010 against LA and the 2011 run).  

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

There’s plenty of photos with the crew next to each other.  He’s not as tall as Linden.   Bieksa still is listed as 6’1” on many sites too...good luck with that one.    Vernon was listed at 5’9” and he recently (within the past two years) came out and said he’s 5’7.   Always though Ohlund was a little over 6’2 - that was the data provided on the cards, magazines and what not at the beginning - he certainly didn’t look any taller.   That said it’s ok to believe what you want - and really what is a couple inches here or there - the way things have gone with hockey exaggerated heights has been around the sport for a long time.   Theo Fluery 5’4” - 5’7” for example.

You were there.

we’ve been through this same type of stats convo before. 

Jimmy was there. 

I was there. 

Some of us hockey stats nuts lived for those kind of things.

How many draft, training camp, season opener and preseason hockey magazines did we pour through to fill our heads with useless facts about player sizes? For decades I knew every players’ everything stat-related, including size. Perhaps that’s kind of pathetic and a waste of mental space, but whatever. That’s life. 

It wouldn't matter to me what Wiki and ESPN reported Ohlund’s physical stats to be. I knew them when they were first published, before and after his draft and every year since, save a few of his final seasons. It was a hobby of mine. I don’t need the internet for that.

If some posters take issue with my adherence to my own observations as being fact, in place of what internet says, then so be it, but it’s also kind of funny to be trolled for being right. What was I right about? Ohlund wasn’t a 6’4, 233lbs Canucks Dman. But damn Wiki says so, so I must be wrong, you see. I posted that picture of Salo beside Ohlund for lols, not for street cred of being right on here. I know I am and that’s good enough for me. 

6’3 Salo, lol. 

I get having to defend a claim on a discussion board. What I don’t get is the urge to run others down for opposing or controversial views. I could be a dick back, but why bother. I get nothing out of either exchange. I’d rather save my fingerprints for posters like you or our other enjoyable posters. I’ll interact with those who show enough respectful tact to have a conversation with. Drive-by shooting posts are for time vampires. 

Edited by 189lb enforcers?

47 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

You were there.

we’ve been through this same type of stats convo before. 

Jimmy was there. 

I was there. 

Some of us hockey stats nuts lived for those kind of things.

How many draft, training camp, season opener and preseason hockey magazines did we pour through to fill our heads with useless facts about player sizes? For decades I knew every players’ everything stat-related, including size. Perhaps that’s kind of pathetic and a waste of mental space, but whatever. That’s life. 

It wouldn't matter to me what Wiki and ESPN reported Ohlund’s physical stats to be. I knew them when they were first published, before and after his draft and every year since, save a few of his final seasons. It was a hobby of mine. I don’t need the internet for that.

If some posters take issue with my adherence to my own observations as being fact, in place of what internet says, then so be it, but it’s also kind of funny to be trolled for being right. What was I right about? Ohlund wasn’t a 6’4, 233lbs Canucks Dman. But damn Wiki says so, so I must be wrong, you see. I posted that picture of Salo beside Ohlund for lols, not for street cred of being right on here. I know I am and that’s good enough for me. 

6’3 Salo, lol. 

I get having to defend a claim on a discussion board. What I don’t get is the urge to run others down for opposing or controversial views. I could be a dick back, but why bother. I get nothing out of either exchange. I’d rather save my fingerprints for posters like you or our other enjoyable posters. I’ll interact with those who show enough respectful tact to have a conversation with. Drive-by shooting posts are for time vampires. 

Personally, I have never measured Ohlund, so the only measurements I would use come from hockey databases. I certainly wouldn't make a point of arguing with team/NHL data unless I had some actual evidence that it was wrong. 

Speaking of time vampires, what would you have been yammering about all through this thread if, instead of saying that "Hughes will never crush people the way 6'4 230 lb Ohlund did", I had just said "the much bigger and stronger" Ohlund?