The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Going to Watch Connor Mcdavid Nov21

Rate this topic

So this summer on the NHL radio network they always have those phone in segments on players they saw in person who impressed them and who they wished they saw.   So with my wife's cousins coming over from The UK (big sports here in general, last time went to a college football game, LA Rams tickets to expensive maybe next time) I thought I would treat them and my self to watch Connor Mcdavid live in person at Staples center.   I'm just hoping he show cases his speed and hands! 

Now players who impressed me live, was Rick Nash, saw a Canucks BlueJacket game and he skates by on a offensive entry and I said to my self that man is a big boy and fast.

I've seen Pavel Bure but didn't remember the game more the old Colossium and the parking situation ha

Players I wish I could watch play Mario Lemieux

Cheers!

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Imagine Jake defending on open ice.

Thats why. 

He's getting better, I personally think he's capable of it. His speed can get him out of trouble.

3v3 overtime is a calculated gamble at best anyway given all the space.

And if the coaching staff doesn't think he's capable of it they should have him practicing it if they aren't already, speed is one of the biggest assets one can possess 3v3. Defense can be taught.

Edited by Coconuts

10 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

He's getting better, I personally think he's capable of it. His speed can get him out of trouble.

3v3 overtime is a calculated gamble at best anyway given all the space.

And if the coaching staff doesn't think he's capable of it they should have him practicing it if they aren't already, speed is one of the biggest assets one can possess 3v3. Defense can be taught.

Jake’s takeaway stats are great, but he relies on physicality for puck retrieval, which doesn’t translate 3-3 and I’m sure you’ll agree. 

His Low hockey IQ is both a strength and weakness in an OT situation because he won’t necessarily look for or make creative plays and that makes defending him an unpredictable task. 

For all of his speed, he isn’t that great on breakaways or cutting to the net, but I agree that he is getting much better at most of those elements. 

I’d ice 40, 6 and 43 then 88, 9 and 57. 

53 18 and 23 would come out last after double shifting the others. 

Edited by 189lb enforcers?
  • Cheers 2

22 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Jake’s takeaway stats are great, but he relies on physicality for puck retrieval, which doesn’t translate 3-3 and I’m sure you’ll agree. 

His Low hockey IQ is both a strength and weakness in an OT situation because he won’t necessarily look for or make creative plays and that makes defending him an unpredictable task. 

For all of his speed, he isn’t that great on breakaways or cutting to the net, but I agree that he is getting much better at most of those elements. 

That's a fair point. And yeah, he's a bit unpredictable in regards to what he'll do but maybe with continued growth he could learn to utilize that? Knowing who you are as a player in both positive and negative level is huge.

Slowly but surely, he's only 23 and should continue to improve. I'm not privy to what goes on during their practices or what they have him focusing on but one would hope they're trying to work on ways for him to better utilize that speed of his.

I thought that first group was what we'd get last night in OT, one paper it's got a great balance of speed and skill so I def agree. Those second and third groups look good too, though ideally the second and third units would be juggled a bit more evenly imo. Bo's certainly the better faceoff guy right now and possession is huge. 

I'm not pushing for Jake to be one of our go to guys, but for him to not be utilized at all seems like a waste considering his speed and gradual improvement on both ends of the ice. 

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, Alflives said:

Speed, in any sport, is always exciting.  Just remember Jake is even faster (in a straight line) than McDavid.  

No way he is without the puck and the only player comparable to Mac and his speed is McKinnon. You need to go see some live games to realize how fast they are, it's amazing!

On 11/17/2019 at 10:55 AM, 189lb enforcers? said:

They are..? He's averaging 1 takeaway every 3 games so far this season and averages less than 1 per game over his career.

Capture.thumb.JPG.f402f4e70f48c917f01c6415116e8b93.JPG