The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Pavel Bure: A Rocket Through Time - I have created an 85-minute retrospective, montage-style film about Pavel Bure. It features over 300 goals and a plethora of other plays in addition to the voices of many commentators.

Rate this topic

TrickOfShapes

4 hours ago, TrickOfShapes said:

This is a presentation I have wanted to create for quite a long time. I am proud to finally be able to share it with everyone. The film, titled Pavel Bure: A Rocket Through Time, is an 85-minute retrospective about the career of one of the NHL's most dynamic, electrifying, compelling figures of all time, Pavel Bure -- The Russian Rocket. There are many hockey films that communicate the history of their subjects through interviews and narration, but often a lack of footage of the players undermines the illustration of their impact on the sport. In the case of Pavel Bure, more often than not, people are only ever told about Pavel's tenacious, mesmerizing ways on the ice; most highlight reels only capture a small fraction of Bure's brilliance. Words and phrases such as "electrifying" and "he could bring people out of their seats" need to be reinforced with a corresponding visual representation. This feature is a non-stop show-and-tell of Bure's abilities as a player and his effect on the hockey world.

Over 300 of his goals at the NHL and international levels are on display here, as well as a plethora of other defining plays and attributes including his end-to-end rushes, assists, explosive body checks, forechecking, creative, improvised plays and intelligent decisions in all three zones. He was the complete package -- a sniper, playmaker, end-to-end rusher and warrior on the ice with a lethal goal-scoring instinct and an ability to elevate his game to even greater heights when the stakes were high. There were many additional nuances in Bure's game that were often overlooked during an era when the odd late-night highlight may have been all that many people saw of him. Many of those lesser-known elements are on display in this presentation.

Each stage of Bure's career is highlighted during the film, from his days with CSKA Moscow to his final days with the New York Rangers. The images are accompanied by a soundtrack of carefully-chosen excerpts from film scores and popular recordings of songs from the 1970s to 2000s designed to reflect the themes and tone of the events throughout Bure's story. It's a soundtrack for a star whose presence and aura transcended the sport. He became an idol to an entire generation and had a transformative influence on the hockey culture of the cities he played for, especially Vancouver. The phenomenon was known as Pavelmania, and the on-ice reasons for it are fully exhibited here.

Pavel Bure was a special player, once called unstoppable. He was the sixth-fastest player in NHL history to score 400 goals and continued to be a dominant force to the very end in spite of the injuries and challenges that robbed one of hockey's all-time greats of consistent opportunities. His jaw-dropping brilliance was a unique gift to the sport, and thus his legacy must not be lost with time.

Enjoy the presentation.

Moved from Edmonton to Vancouver in 94 (never watched hockey before) the atmosphere around the 94 run and bure made me fall in love with the team and the sport. 

Thank you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

I’m at 11mins and something. 

It’s hard to believe there is an hour more to go of Bure Highlights you forget over the years what you all saw. 

This video Tribute is seriously great quality and has me pumped up. Bure was so explosive. His speed reminds me of Connor McDavid of today but Bure had more agility,  his hands like silk. I forgot how powerful and quickly he could uncork a clapper at full speed. 

I really appreciate the effort that you put into this.

Thank you. 

Edited by Bertorama

the old NHL rules is insane! great video . brings back so many memories... dam the old NHL was dirty and it was all good! lol.. compared to now.. Bure looks alot like McDavid.. but even better..

edit: haha  I write this and then scroll up.. yea

Edited by TheNewGM
  • Cheers 1

14 hours ago, erkayloomeh said:

Who is better. ?  Bure or Macdavid.?

As close as makes no difference while being impossible to compare their games being played in different eras. 

Bure with out the hooks, slashed and interference against him would have been like you see of McJesus today. 

McJesus is probably better, sure, but I hope newer fans understand just how good one of our guys was, in Bure.

Naslund wasn’t even close, minus his writ shots through holes Bertuzzi left for him to shoot through and score, IMO. 

10 hours ago, TheNewGM said:

the old NHL rules is insane! great video . brings back so many memories... dam the old NHL was dirty and it was all good! lol.. compared to now.. Bure looks alot like McDavid.. but even better..

edit: haha  I write this and then scroll up.. yea

Personally I think they’ve done way too far.   So many penalties called - too many IMO.  At least in the playoffs they let things go but then the refs look bad, people are used to a small grab or hook getting a call.   On the plus side the league is faster then ever - and it does make for some entertaining hockey.

• Cheers 2

14 hours ago, Westcoasting said:

It's amazing how awful defence positioning and goaltender performance was back then! And mobility of defence man was horrible as well. Raymond Bourque looks like a third pairing d man today :)

Bure was so unpredictable in his moves he made other players look like deer in the headlights, he froze them or made them hesitate.

You see that sometimes when players like Ovie, MacKinnon and even Pettersson sometimes have the puck, the opposition player gets frozen "thinking" of how to stop him or what is he going to do causing the dman to get "flat footed"

Not much video of Orr, but he was similar with explosive two step speed and edges. Orr one time killed an entire penalty holding the puck versus the Golden Seals.

In Bure's time clutching and grabbing were much more evident, the term "fighting through the check" was real, not like today that draws anyone of three penalties.

Paul Coffey was a pretty mobile dman and do you not think other teams put their best checkers on him.

He could change a game just being on the ice.

Too bad you can't see what the NYR got away with to hold him back, the ref's would have given out years instead of minutes if they called anything at all, which they didn't do anyway.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Darius said:

I got chills at around 7 minutes when the rocky music starts lol...

and hearing clips of Larscheid having Larscheid-gasms describing some of the plays...

and to think we had Bure AND Mogilny at one point...

The Russian Rocket and the Moscow Missile, too bad they still didn't have The Professor. 

All that off ice stuff, too bad.

I like Petey's game if he can gain 25 lbs or so, he will not be Bure but a different animal.

Playoff hockey now just brushes the edges of what hockey used to be played during a season, playoffs were a war.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

Bure was so unpredictable in his moves he made other players look like deer in the headlights, he froze them or made them hesitate.

You see that sometimes when players like Ovie, MacKinnon and even Pettersson sometimes have the puck, the opposition player gets frozen "thinking" of how to stop him or what is he going to do causing the dman to get "flat footed"

Not much video of Orr, but he was similar with explosive two step speed and edges. Orr one time killed an entire penalty holding the puck versus the Golden Seals.

In Bure's time clutching and grabbing were much more evident, the term "fighting through the check" was real, not like today that draws anyone of three penalties.

Paul Coffey was a pretty mobile dman and do you not think other teams put their best checkers on him.

He could change a game just being on the ice.

Too bad you can't see what the NYR got away with to hold him back, the ref's would have given out years instead of minutes if they called anything at all, which they didn't do anyway.

:lol:

Funny because it’s true 

A lot of people forget that it was Pavel usually with three Rangers draped all over him that allowed Linden to almost score a hat trick in game seven of the Stanley Cup final and win the holy grail. I still dream every day what might have been.......Jim Robson: "Here he goes.....Pavel Bure...a breakaway in overtime.....to win the cup.......He Shoots.....HE SCCCCOOOOORRREEESSSSS!!!!!!!!!!".... But i guess it wasn't meant to be and i sit here still waiting the last 25 years, wondering if i'll be around to see my favorite team win it all?.....Sigh

On 11/17/2019 at 3:44 PM, Silky mitts said:

Bure was one hell of a talent, this is a really well done video, great work. On a side note does anyone else here feel that Nazzy is also another one of the biggest what if's? The Moore incident really did some damage and I think in a lot of ways mentally as well. Seeing how close he was to Bert and all the drama that unfolded in that unfortunate circumstance. I personally believe he could have really done a lot more .  

Believe it or not, so is Barry Pederson, the guy we are always lamenting acquiring for Neely.  Pederson was tearing the league apart until he tore his shoulder up.  He was en route to the Hall of Fame, guaranteed.

As for the other great what ifs I can think of, not necessarily Canucks...

Tim Kerr - was guaranteed on his way to the HOF.

Bernie Nicholls - if he had stayed in LA from 1990 on...

Mike Bossy - guy had hundreds of goals left on the table.

Kent Nilsson - why did he go back to Sweden and what if he had started in the NHL?

Mike Rogers - what if he had been in the NHL his whole career and actually on a good team.

What if Mike Liut / Don Beaupre / Richard Brodeur had been on good teams, e.g. the Oilers / Islanders / Flyers / Bruins for their careers.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Upvote 3