The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Nucks need to make a move for a top line winger.

2 hours ago, nergish said:

weew, imagine if we had a $ 6 million top line player instead of a Loui in the press box.

Weew, imagine loosing a top end player because we had no cap in 2 years, because we signed that top line player!

Yes, it would be nice to dream, but in actual fact, there is a huge reason why we should stay the course and develop from within

It is called, too many expensive players, and not enough cap space

We need ELC's that are good and in our lineup...……...think Podkolzin, Hoglander and Madden and pray!

2 hours ago, Chris12345 said:

Bang. Case closed. We aren't competing for a cup this year....and that's ok.

Says you!

I've already got a thousand Canucks 2020 Stanley Cup hats made up, so it's already a done deal!

Besides, don't you guys know the NHL is rigged? They HAVE to give us a cup or at least a cup finals run in our 50th anniversary season

7 hours ago, BrockBoester said:

Says you!

I've already got a thousand Canucks 2020 Stanley Cup hats made up, so it's already a done deal!

Besides, don't you guys know the NHL is rigged? They HAVE to give us a cup or at least a cup finals run in our 50th anniversary season

no, I think it goes to Buffalo as part of winning the roulette wheel back at the draft in 1970

I'll give you a buck for one of those hats right now, better offer than you'll get come April 

• Haha 1

We really need to see what we have in each of our players and hopefully find some chemistry in the group before adding more.

For simplicity sake let's presume the team wants to keep the Lotto Line together.  From Sven, Pearson, Jake, Roussel, Leivo, Ferland and even Gaudette on some nights when we need scoring, I don't believe we wouldn't at least be able to find two sets of wingers that could work with Sutter and Bo.  Horvat has had chemistry with the following wingers: Jake, Roussel, Pearson, Sven.  Before the injury, Ferland and Sutter had some good shifts together, and Leivo's a glue guy who's worked well with them too if memory serves correctly.

Lotto 

Sven/ Roussel - Bo - Jake/ Pearson (interesting mix of straight-line guys and a more skilled play-maker in Sven to complement Bo)

Ferland - Sutter - Leivo (versatile grinding line that can chip in some offensively)

Then whoever's having an off night can bump down to form a depth scoring line with Gaudette, or if we need a heavy shutdown line we can insert Beagle

Sven - Gaudette - Jake (Hockey Gaud and Shotgun had chemistry in preseason, and Sven and Gaud have it now)

Roussel - Beagle - Motte (hard-nosed grind line for playoffs?  Yes please)

TL;DR I'd be an advocate for cohesive waves of scoring over splurging for yet another pricey winger.  We might already have that fit in-house.

Edited by Phil_314

Honestly, I’d just take a flier on Puljiujarvi. 

It wouldn’t cost much to acquire him (relatively speaking), and if he ever lived up to his enormous potential........boom goes the dynamite and this Canucks team takes off.   

Trading for other good and young PROVEN top 6 forwards would cost an arm and a leg.

JP is a PPG player in Finland and has more assists than goals.   I think JP’s game would mesh well with Horvat’s. 

The OP is right - in that we do need another top six winger.  However easier said then done.  Our best chance at this is rinse and repeat what we did with Miller on a cash strapped team.  We can’t trade Tanev without another D coming back - at least unless Tree is back and signed.  Our right side is too weak.   OR we wait it out with JV - he’s had a good season so far and hope Podz is ready in after next season or Hogs can come into camp and earn a spot OR AG moves up once Sutter is back etc.   We have plenty of existing options as placeholders at this point, in a year or two at most it’s going to happen organically.

On 11/18/2019 at 12:07 PM, BrockBoester said:

Says you!

You'll have a good tax deduction if nothing else....

• Haha 1

Benning should call up the Rangers and make a run for Kreider and use some of his prospects in Utica to package with Sutter which I think there is only a 500k difference between Kreider and Sutter in cap space. Kreider has playoff experience and has a history of scoring and fits in with Vancouver’s team speed.

To Van 

Kreider 

To NYR

Sutter, Lind, Juolevi 

Edited by IjustNEEDaTROYgamble

18 hours ago, IjustNEEDaTROYgamble said:

Benning should call up the Rangers and make a run for Kreider and use some of his prospects in Utica to package with Sutter which I think there is only a 500k difference between Kreider and Sutter in cap space. Kreider has playoff experience and has a history of scoring and fits in with Vancouver’s team speed.

To Van 

Kreider 

To NYR

Sutter, Lind, Juolevi 

Can't afford to trade Sutter right now. 

Would have to trade a winger.