The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDC Mix Exchange - WAKE UP

Rate this topic

Kragar

1.   The Kills - Pull a U

--> Good track, very catchy, the tuning (some sort of D) sounds like it was tuned by a five year old (low-key very rad).

2.   Oasis - Morning Glory

--> Very good track, lost on album with many amazing songs on it.

3.   System of a Down - Chop Suey!

--> Classic song that did pretty well in a period of time where rock music was changing and void of identity (early 2000s)

4.  Gorillaz - The Sounder

--> A song that demonstrates just how versatile Damon Albarn's creativity is.

5.  Bone Thugs N Harmony - 1st of Tha Month

--> Not their best work, IMO, but still very good

6. Juvenile - Cocky and Confident

--> This was meh.  The flow was okay but the music/production was underwhelming.

7.  One Minute Silence - Remain Calm

--> Cool bass intro and nice sounding guitar parts but the vocals and lyrics were lacklustre.

8.  The Misfits - Sleepwalkin'

--> Classic-ish song but nothing too special

9.  Ludacris (ft. Common and Spike Lee) - Do The Right Thang

--> This was okay.  I guess this would have been good at the time of its release but it has not aged well.

10.  Bombay Bicycle Club - How Can You Swallow So Much Sleep

--> Very nice track to end off the mix.  Nice, soothing indie feels.

7/10 mix and I'll guess debutant @DarthMelvin.  

Jackson 5 - ABC
I really, really don't like this song. I don't like the sound of children singing... 2/10

James Brown - Get On Up

This song made me get up. Yeah it's a good song, everybody knows this song. It's in a lot of movies... Still relevant to this day in culture. 9/10

Beastie Boys - Egg Man

Grew up listening to beastie boys, my dad had all their records. This one is pretty funny, my favourite song as a kid was brass monkey, still dunno what these songs are about but I still love them lol 10/10

Jimi hendrix - CROSSTOWN TRAFFIC

I like Jimi Hendrix although he passed away long before I was born I still hear him on the radio all the time... My grandpa had his tapes, that's how I first heard him...RIP 8/10

Kashmir - Led Zeppelin

Probably my 2nd favourite led zepplin song so good choice there. 10/10

Pennywise - Unknown Road

meh. didnt enjoy this one too much... intro is too long. 5/10

OutKast - B.O.B. 

Good get up and dance song. always enjoy listening to these guys, wish they would play more than just heya on the radio. cool song wouldnt go back to it tho. 7/10

Megadeth - Holy Wars...The Punishment Due

Megadeth was one of the first metal bands i was introduced to the rust in peace album was one of my first CDs, I also remember having peace sells... Anyways I mostly inherited my dads music taste when I was young. 8/10

Metallica - Blitzkrieg

Cool song, not particularly the one I'd pick from metallica's repertoire but still an enjoyable song. 7/10

Overall 8/10

dunno who's it is tbh anybody I would guess has already been guessed...ceres or av lol

• Cheers 1

Mix Review

Pinback – Nothing from Nowhere (8 or 9)

This is a very good rock song. I’m compelled the entire way through. The chorus is beautiful, especially with the harmonizing backing vocals. The song does end very abruptly; I’m assuming it’s connecting to whatever comes next in the album. I might have to go check out more from them. 

Bjork – Human Behaviour (10+)

Oh my. Where do I begin? Bjork is one my favourite musicians ever and this is certainly one of her best early songs. I love how raw the vocals are from this era. The harmonizing vocal layers towards the ends, all by Bjork, are lovely. Aside from her singing the minimalist instrumentals are groovy af and the deep percussion perfect complement for this song. I’m pretty sure she wrote this song when she was very young to make it even more impressive. Definitely, definitely, definitely a great song.

The bird and the bee – Because (8)

Absolute bop. Beautiful signing. The reoccurring synth progression sooo good. I’ll be checking out more of their stuff because I’m honestly unfamiliar with them despite this being right in my wheelhouse.

Placebo – Every You Every Me (7)

First impression: the lead singers voice doesn’t do it for me. Tbh, I’ve never been very into this style of emo/alt roc, but I suppose the content and structure of the song itself is fairly good. I do like the build up towards the end.

On subsequent listens, I’ve grown to appreciate it a lot more. It’s also a solid song, imo.

Verzache – Summertime (7)

I’m intrigued by this cohesive blend of acoustic and chillwave(?) music. Dude has a nice voice. Certainly an enjoyable listen, but not necessarily something I'd actively come back to.

CYN – Believer (8)

Well, it’s a pretty sexy song. She’s got a great voice. The chorus bangs too with that bass line. Lovely pop song. 

Madison Emery – Electric Ancestor (6)

Wow, you went very obscured with this one. This is some decent instrumental music but nothing really that inspires me to write much else if I'm being honest.

Overall, the mix was great and very aligned to my tastes. I did enjoy the first three songs tremendously more than the rest. This is almost certainly my pal AV’s mix. I can confirm he has good taste.

Edited by Ceres
  • Like 1
6 hours ago, Baer. said:

Jackson 5 - ABC
I really, really don't like this song. I don't like the sound of children singing... 2/10

James Brown - Get On Up

This song made me get up. Yeah it's a good song, everybody knows this song. It's in a lot of movies... Still relevant to this day in culture. 9/10

Beastie Boys - Egg Man

Grew up listening to beastie boys, my dad had all their records. This one is pretty funny, my favourite song as a kid was brass monkey, still dunno what these songs are about but I still love them lol 10/10

I like Jimi Hendrix although he passed away long before I was born I still hear him on the radio all the time... My grandpa had his tapes, that's how I first heard him...RIP 8/10

Kashmir - Led Zeppelin

Pennywise - Unknown Road

OutKast - B.O.B. 

Good get up and dance song. always enjoy listening to these guys, wish they would play more than just heya on the radio. cool song wouldnt go back to it tho. 7/10

Megadeth was one of the first metal bands i was introduced to the rust in peace album was one of my first CDs, I also remember having peace sells... Anyways I mostly inherited my dads music taste when I was young. 8/10

Metallica - Blitzkrieg

Cool song, not particularly the one I'd pick from metallica's repertoire but still an enjoyable song. 7/10

Overall 8/10

dunno who's it is tbh anybody I would guess has already been guessed...ceres or av lol

It's mine. I knew Jackson 5 and Pennywise would be points of discussion. But I'm glad you liked the mix. 

Thanks for the 8!

6 hours ago, Baer. said:

Jackson 5 - ABC

James Brown - Get On Up

Beastie Boys - Egg Man

Kashmir - Led Zeppelin

Pennywise - Unknown Road

OutKast - B.O.B. 

Metallica - Blitzkrieg

Overall 8/10

Imma guess this is luckys

• Cheers 1
4 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Bud

I remember hearing that tune for the first time and being super sceptical on how Frampton made his guitar talk.

Great tune. Even better on mushrooms

Oh his talk box skills are unreal...Adam Jones of Tool called him up and had many a long talk so Adam could dial in the solo on Jambi.

Frampton Comes Alive! is, in my less than humble opinion, one of the greatest live albums of all time. All time! 

Even Kanye Billionaire Genius Jesus Superfly East West Guy thinks so...or at least that's what he told Taylor Swift