Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDC Mix Exchange - WAKE UP

Rate this topic


Kragar

Recommended Posts

Ok, I've got four (plus mine makes 5) in, so that leaves two slackers to go. DM sent his just as I was writing this, so had to update on the fly.

 

Once they are all in, I get to spend some time geeking out, using 14 spreadsheet formulas plus some atmospheric noise for random number generation to figure out who gets each mix.  Ain't that something to be thankful for!  Woo hoo!

  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Lol, ok

I'll listen to the playlist I just got in the morning, mostly because I wanna feel the theme, but partially because wham! might make me punch something.

- spoiler- the first song is "Wake me up" by Wham!.... I &^@#ing hate wham. Hated them in the 80's and I still do.

I havent pressed play or peeked the list, but wham... lmao... wham.

I guess that tune might be fun first thing, we shall see! 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, luckylager said:

Lol, ok

I'll listen to the playlist I just got in the morning, mostly because I wanna feel the theme, but partially because wham! might make me punch something.

- spoiler- the first song is "Wake me up" by Wham!.... I &^@#ing hate wham. Hated them in the 80's and I still do.

I havent pressed play or peeked the list, but wham... lmao... wham.

I guess that tune might be fun first thing, we shall see! 

Interesting idea, waiting until morning for the sake of the theme.

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
3 minutes ago, Kragar said:

Interesting idea, waiting until morning for the sake of the theme.

That's the plan.

I might have to drink heavily tonight so I feel like I'm waking up on the floor of a bar after getting punched out at 80's night if I'm supposed to get through "wake me up".

 

Wham!.

 

If this is Baer's mix I can see why he keeps getting stood up! Lol

Link to comment

 

1. Some good ole' U2...this song starts off like a pleasant, easy listening alarm clock that quickly starts building in energy. Then you're hit with this awesome guitar slide, that's greasy & garage rockesque at :50...awesome! Some thick & trebly bass starts holding a groove that just doesn't let go. You're left waiting for that greasy guitar that never really comes back the same way...oh well. Yay, & I guess Bono sings a bit. 7.5/10

 

2. Syncopated synth drums kick off this little ditty, then we have some flighty vocals that play off the the drums nicely, all coalescing into a light & airy 80's wake up tune by Robert Palmer. It's gotta bit of a reggae vibe, so Imma guess LuckyLager before I even listen to the rest of the mix. Change my mind. 7/10

 

3. 3 Little Birds. I'm liking my Lucky guess. It's Bob Marley, what else can ya say? A nice, happy wake up tune that, just like Woke Up Laughing, is a song about waking up & takin' life easy. 8.5/10

 

4. Another easy going tune, whoever sent in this mix does not like to wake up with a BANG, but with an easy smile. I feel like this is a song you brush your teeth & shave to, maybe just lathering shampoo or stepping out of the shower fog & into the cool outside air...maybe start making coffee? 7/10

 

5. If this isn't Lucky's mix, Imma be shocked. Syncopated rhythm section, reggae vibes abound, & Paul Simon's ear candy vocals? This is the sipping coffee & watch the sun rise song. 8/10

 

6. Underworld??? I love this band, Born Slippy is a huge fav of mine. Now this person has had showered, shaved, got some cuppa Joe in them & they're getting pumped for the day. Feel the tension, slowly rising? Then the beat drops in, & it's groove time baby! 9/10

 

7. This is the drive to work song, feel the energy & the pump of classic rock? Instantly recognizable even if you've never heard this song before, it's catchy & has a great hook. What more can you ask out of a morning wake up tune? 9/10

 

8. The last song before you head into work, now you've had an easy, relaxing wake up, you just got primed by Billy Squier & now you're ready to kick some A$$! You can never, EVER, go wrong with Queen. Ever. 10/10

 

 

LuckyLager is the creator of this mix. I'd give it an overall 8.5/10. Nothing new for me in this mix, but hey! Great tunes nonetheless!

 

@luckylager this your mix?

 

@Kragar this your mix?

 

Edited by falcon45ca
Link to comment
23 hours ago, falcon45ca said:

 

1. Some good ole' U2...this song starts off like a pleasant, easy listening alarm clock that quickly starts building in energy. Then you're hit with this awesome guitar slide, that's greasy & garage rockesque at :50...awesome! Some thick & trebly bass starts holding a groove that just doesn't let go. You're left waiting for that greasy guitar that never really comes back the same way...oh well. Yay, & I guess Bono sings a bit. 7.5/10

 

2. Syncopated synth drums kick off this little ditty, then we have some flighty vocals that play off the the drums nicely, all coalescing into a light & airy 80's wake up tune by Robert Palmer. It's gotta bit of a reggae vibe, so Imma guess LuckyLager before I even listen to the rest of the mix. Change my mind. 7/10

 

3. 3 Little Birds. I'm liking my Lucky guess. It's Bob Marley, what else can ya say? A nice, happy wake up tune that, just like Woke Up Laughing, is a song about waking up & takin' life easy. 8.5/10

 

4. Another easy going tune, whoever sent in this mix does not like to wake up with a BANG, but with an easy smile. I feel like this is a song you brush your teeth & shave to, maybe just lathering shampoo or stepping out of the shower fog & into the cool outside air...maybe start making coffee? 7/10

 

5. If this isn't Lucky's mix, Imma be shocked. Syncopated rhythm section, reggae vibes abound, & Paul Simon's ear candy vocals? This is the sipping coffee & watch the sun rise song. 8/10

 

6. Underworld??? I love this band, Born Slippy is a huge fav of mine. Now this person has had showered, shaved, got some cuppa Joe in them & they're getting pumped for the day. Feel the tension, slowly rising? Then the beat drops in, & it's groove time baby! 9/10

 

7. This is the drive to work song, feel the energy & the pump of classic rock? Instantly recognizable even if you've never heard this song before, it's catchy & has a great hook. What more can you ask out of a morning wake up tune? 9/10

 

8. The last song before you head into work, now you've had an easy, relaxing wake up, you just got primed by Billy Squier & now you're ready to kick some A$$! You can never, EVER, go wrong with Queen. Ever. 10/10

 

 

LuckyLager is the creator of this mix. I'd give it an overall 8.5/10. Nothing new for me in this mix, but hey! Great tunes nonetheless!

 

@luckylager this your mix?

 

 

Not mine.

I'm gonna guess kragar for that one.

 

I'm listening to the mix I received right now, it's pretty great, even though it starts with wham! (admittedly more fun and less painfully lame than I remember)

I'll post a review in the next day or two.

Link to comment
23 hours ago, falcon45ca said:

 

1. Some good ole' U2...this song starts off like a pleasant, easy listening alarm clock that quickly starts building in energy. Then you're hit with this awesome guitar slide, that's greasy & garage rockesque at :50...awesome! Some thick & trebly bass starts holding a groove that just doesn't let go. You're left waiting for that greasy guitar that never really comes back the same way...oh well. Yay, & I guess Bono sings a bit. 7.5/10

 

2. Syncopated synth drums kick off this little ditty, then we have some flighty vocals that play off the the drums nicely, all coalescing into a light & airy 80's wake up tune by Robert Palmer. It's gotta bit of a reggae vibe, so Imma guess LuckyLager before I even listen to the rest of the mix. Change my mind. 7/10

 

3. 3 Little Birds. I'm liking my Lucky guess. It's Bob Marley, what else can ya say? A nice, happy wake up tune that, just like Woke Up Laughing, is a song about waking up & takin' life easy. 8.5/10

 

4. Another easy going tune, whoever sent in this mix does not like to wake up with a BANG, but with an easy smile. I feel like this is a song you brush your teeth & shave to, maybe just lathering shampoo or stepping out of the shower fog & into the cool outside air...maybe start making coffee? 7/10

 

5. If this isn't Lucky's mix, Imma be shocked. Syncopated rhythm section, reggae vibes abound, & Paul Simon's ear candy vocals? This is the sipping coffee & watch the sun rise song. 8/10

 

6. Underworld??? I love this band, Born Slippy is a huge fav of mine. Now this person has had showered, shaved, got some cuppa Joe in them & they're getting pumped for the day. Feel the tension, slowly rising? Then the beat drops in, & it's groove time baby! 9/10

 

7. This is the drive to work song, feel the energy & the pump of classic rock? Instantly recognizable even if you've never heard this song before, it's catchy & has a great hook. What more can you ask out of a morning wake up tune? 9/10

 

8. The last song before you head into work, now you've had an easy, relaxing wake up, you just got primed by Billy Squier & now you're ready to kick some A$$! You can never, EVER, go wrong with Queen. Ever. 10/10

 

 

LuckyLager is the creator of this mix. I'd give it an overall 8.5/10. Nothing new for me in this mix, but hey! Great tunes nonetheless!

 

@luckylager this your mix?

 

@Kragar this your mix?

 

Yeah, that's me.  glad you liked it so much.  Maybe I should have switched the first two songs, starting with Woke Up Laughing.

 

Sorry there was nothing new in there, was hoping the REM or Underworld song would be, and maybe they are for others.  When I did a co-op job back in college days, a work friend introduced me to Underworld, Underneath the Radar.  Loved it.  Rez is in the Vanilla Sky movie, and I had to have it.  Good, long fast trancy piece makes the work or drive go better.

 

I'm sure I could find a few other faves that would qualify for this mix, but ya gotta stop somewhere.

Link to comment

Mix starts off with "Wake me up" by Wham!. As a guy who legitimately thought I hated Wham!, I'm surprised how much fun I found this song, and its cheekiness as an opening to a morning mix.

 

Then right into "Footloose", 10/10 for that transition. Takes me back to being a kid. I remember my brother and I dancing around in our gitch to that tune, as kids, in the morning.

 

"Gimme some lovin" Spencer Davis. Morning energy growing!

 

Bounce by RUN DMC. Not even close to my favorite RUN DMC track, has the right tempo to keep building that day-stoke, but I can think of dozens of other hip hop tracks I'd rather hear in its place.

 

DaftPunk, Harder faster.... , great choice and segways nicely into a couple of very funky bass centric, full of energy tracks from Vulfpeck and Kinga Glyk. Both a lot of fun and full of morning stoke.

Kinga being a little more corny than Vulf but both played well off each other for a smooth exit from funk to prog with Workingman by Rush coming next.

 

I've always appreciated the musicianship of the players, but admittedly don't like Geddy Lee's voice or the way he uses the rhythms to prop up his lackluster lyrical composition. However, at least we're back into some rock n roll with a but of an edge and Geddy doesn't sing too much on this track.

 

Lol- Mable by Goldfinger, havent heard that song in 20 years. I still listen to punk and I'd forgotten that goldfinger was even a thing back in the day.

I hadn't forgotten about Millincolin though. The band kicks ass and Cigar is one of my faves. Love this tune so much even though it fills me with regret and serves as a reminder that my youth is long gone but not forgotten, and I miss it badly.

 

Pity the Man... by the Smalls kinda disrupted the vibe transitioning between two of my favorite songs ever (Cigar and 99 ways to die). I would have happily thrown the smalls in the trash and gone from Millincolin straight into Megadeth.

 

I really enjoyed this mix for the most part, will listen again. 8/10.

 

Considering the bass lead vibe, I'm gonna say this is Falcons mix because I know he's a fellow bassist and has a rather diverse taste in music.

 

 

 

Edited by luckylager
  • Like 1
Link to comment
4 minutes ago, Kragar said:

Yeah, that's me.  glad you liked it so much.  Maybe I should have switched the first two songs, starting with Woke Up Laughing.

 

Sorry there was nothing new in there, was hoping the REM or Underworld song would be, and maybe they are for others.  When I did a co-op job back in college days, a work friend introduced me to Underworld, Underneath the Radar.  Loved it.  Rez is in the Vanilla Sky movie, and I had to have it.  Good, long fast trancy piece makes the work or drive go better.

 

I'm sure I could find a few other faves that would qualify for this mix, but ya gotta stop somewhere.

Yeah, solid mix! Thank you! 

 

It can be a bit tricky to find music I'm not familiar with, I have a very broad taste in music, & as a semi-pro musician I'm exposed to a lot of stuff.

 

Thanks again!

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
10 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Mix starts off with "Wake me up" by Wham!. As a guy who legitimately thought I hated Wham!, I'm surprised how much fun I found this song, and its cheekiness as an opening to a morning mix.

Then right into "Footloose", 10/10 for that transition. Takes me back to being a kid. I remember my brother and I dancing around in our gitch to that tune, as kids, in the morning.

"Gimme some lovin" Spencer Davis. Morning energy growing!

Bounce by RUN DMC. Not even close to my favorite RUN DMC track, has the right tempo to keep building that day-stoke, but I can think of dozens of other hip hop tracks I'd rather hear in its place.

DaftPunk, Harder faster.... , great choice and segways nicely into a couple of very funky bass centric, full of energy tracks from Vulfpeck and Kinga Glyk. Both a lot of fun and full of morning fun.

Kinga being a little more corny than Vulf but both played well off each other for a smooth exit from funk to prog with Workingman by Rush coming next.

I've always appreciated the musicianship of the players, but admittedly don't like Geddy Lee's voice or the way he uses the rhythms to prop up his lackluster lyrical composition. However, at least we're back into some rock n roll with a but of an edge and Geddy doesn't sing too much on this track.

Lol- Mable by Goldfinger, havent heard that song in 20 years. I still listen to punk and I'd forgotten that goldfinger was even a thing back in the day.

I hadn't forgotten about Millincolin though. The band kicks ass and Cigar is one of my faves. Love this tune so much even though it fills me with regret and serves as a reminder that my youth is long gone but not forgotten, and I miss it badly.

 

Pity the Man... by the Smalls kinda disrupted the vibe transitioning between two of my favorite songs ever (Cigar and 99 ways to die). I would have happily thrown the smalls in the trash and gone from Millincolin straight into Megadeth.

 

I really enjoyed this mix for the most part, will listen again. 8/10.

 

Considering the bass lead vibe, I'm gonna say this is Falcons mix because I know he's a fellow bassist and has a rather diverse taste in music.

 

 

 

Yep, you nailed it! That's my mix

 

@luckylager post the playlist home slice!

Edited by falcon45ca
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...