The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hockey Canada drops age group names

Rate this topic

goalie13

When it comes to minor hockey, say goodbye to Atom, Novice, Peewee, Bantam and Midget.

Say hello to Under-7 through Under-21.

Hockey Canada announced the sweeping change to its age classification system — to take effect next season — during its winter congress held Monday in Calgary.

The new categories will be U-7, U-9, U-11, U-13, U-15, U-18 and U-21.

“It’s a transition to a more universal system,” said Mark Grambart, co-president of the Victoria Minor Hockey Association.

“It’s so that parents and kids new to hockey know exactly where they fit in. It makes the system easier to understand and is more transparent as we look to welcome new players to our sport to help it grow.”

Classifications such as Peewee or Bantam are traditional but mean little to people not familiar with youth hockey.

“There may be some people sad to see the historic names go, but I am not one of them,” said Grambart.

The change will be in effect across the country next season through all boys’ and girls’ programs under Hockey Canada’s purview, which encompasses pretty much all of youth hockey in Canada.

“We believe everyone should feel welcome in the game. In our ongoing effort to make hockey more inclusive, the members at annual meeting determined that the names of our age divisions will change,” said Michael Brind’Amour, chair of the Hockey Canada board of directors.

“Following a comprehensive review, we believe this change will simplify the system for families who may be new to the game.”

Some people will say that it's a case of political correctedness going too far, but in this case I disagree.  I never went through minor hockey.  I knew the age group names but I could never tell you what ages applied to what groups.  I think this move makes a lot of sense.

https://www.timescolonist.com/sports/canadian-minor-hockey-dropping-traditional-age-group-names-1.24012101

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

Some people will say that it's a case of political correctedness going too far, but in this case I disagree.  I never went through minor hockey.  I knew the age group names but I could never tell you what ages applied to what groups.  I think this move makes a lot of sense.

https://www.timescolonist.com/sports/canadian-minor-hockey-dropping-traditional-age-group-names-1.24012101

it won't stop the anti-PC freak outs tho :lol: 

"U#" just makes more sense. 

• Haha 1

Maybe the rest of the world should adopt our names for the age groups, instead of following the stupid soccer model?  Soccer is a stupid game with stupid age group names.  There is nothing cool or catchy about those stupid soccer Under this or that.  Stupid hockey Canada too for following a soccer model.  Should we teach the kids to dive and role around and pretend they are injured now too.  Stupid soccer. :sick:

Atom ... Peewee ... Bantan ... Midget.  That's the Canadian way.  #snowflakes

• Haha 2
  • Wat 3

Not sure this will make it a lot clearer for people new to the game. For example, the Under 15 category (Bantam), how does this help new people when they see that a player turning 15 during the hockey season might be able to play on the Under 15 team while another player turning 15 during the season can play on the Under 15 team.

The hockey people don't normally refer to Bantam qualifications today as Under 15.....for this season, they refer to them as 05's and 06's. Meaning being that only kids born in 2005 or 2006 are eligible to play Bantam this season.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Maybe the rest of the world should adopt our names for the age groups, instead of following the stupid soccer model?  Soccer is a stupid game with stupid age group names.  There is nothing cool or catchy about those stupid soccer Under this or that.  Stupid hockey Canada too for following a soccer model.  Should we teach the kids to dive and role around and pretend they are injured now too.  Stupid soccer. :sick:

Oh alf... i dont always like your trollery but honestly i couldnt imagine cdc without you

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Wow, don't hold back!  I work with a fellow who does elite level evaluations for Hockey Canada, he already refers to various levels as Under X, makes it more clear what group one is talking about.  I played rec hockey for years, but couldn't ever tell you what age groups fit in what categories.    This new model seems to make sense and provide clarity to everyone including those who aren't intimately involved with Minor Hockey.  

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I will also miss the names.

• Like 1

My experience with the kids is that they are all very proud when they speak of playing Atom, Pewee, Bantam(including the level within those groups), etc......I wonder if that pride will extend to playing for the Under 13 team, Under 15 team, etc. I also wonder if anyone asked for input from the kids as to what they would prefer.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

My experience with the kids is that they are all very proud when they speak of playing Atom, Pewee, Bantam(including the level within those groups), etc......I wonder if that pride will extend to playing for the Under 13 team, Under 15 team, etc. I also wonder if anyone asked for input from the kids as to what they would prefer.

my guess is the U13s preferred a puppy. 

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

My experience with the kids is that they are all very proud when they speak of playing Atom, Pewee, Bantam(including the level within those groups), etc......I wonder if that pride will extend to playing for the Under 13 team, Under 15 team, etc.

Why wouldn't it? Kids will have very little or no attachment to the original names anyway.

1 minute ago, StealthNuck said:

Why wouldn't it? Kids will have very little or no attachment to the original names anyway.

I guess none of us know how the kids will feel about the new naming conventions in the future years but I do know the pride these kids have today when they tell you they are playing Atom, Div 1 for example. They wear their jackets and other apparel adorned with the word"Atom" with great pride. My suspicion is that apparel with "Under 11" will not have the same significance. Obviously I could be wrong about the future but I know I am not wrong about the pride they feel today.

• Cheers 1